Renault Scenic - Used car warranty problems - Car-ramba

Hello, this is my first time posting here.

I own a Renault Scenic Dynamique 2007 model and have had it for almost a year. I have recently experienced a loss of power and then the fuel injection warning light appeared right after. It eventually dissappeared and never reappeared by I feel the car still had no power especially going up hill. I sent it back to the Renault dealership as my car was bought from them just under a year ago and the used car warranty was still just valid.

They said there was no fault to the fuel injection because they checked the fault history of the car's computer log and it does not show any fuel injection fault in its history log.

A week later feeling disatisfied and still with lack of power I brought the car in again to the dealership and insisted they have a second check. They later told me that this time they have found that the car does lack power and they could not drive it up a hill when they test drove it. They suspected it could likely be the turbo but said they will have to charge me 2 hours of labour plus vat amounting to £180! but if they found that it is indeed the turbo, it will all be covered under the warranty. They said because they cannot detect any fault on car's computer, they have to manually strip the engine down to find the fault! hence the labour charges!

My concern is, they might come back to me (car is still with them) and tell me they can't find the fault and charge me the £180 even without the power loss problem fixed. I don't think this would be fair. It's not something I can afford but the car is under warranty so should'nt they still have it covered even if they find the turbo not to be the problem. financially, it's very risky for me. Any advice would be very much appreciated if anyone knows. The problem with the warranty is it didnt come with a detailed list of what's covered and what's not. Just a very simple general list failures printed on a brochure. No mention on specifics with this kind of scenario with labour charges if they don't find the fault.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Avant on 01/11/2014 at 19:27

Renault Scenic - Used car warranty problems - madf

and the model is?

diesel, petrol, auto, manual?

Edited by Avant on 01/11/2014 at 19:28

It's a 1.6 diesel manual transmission. Thanks.

Renault Scenic - Used car warranty problems - Avant

"....they might come back to me (car is still with them) and tell me they can't find the fault and charge me the £180 even without the power loss problem fixed."

Make it clear to them that that is unacceptable. The car isn't drivable in this state and it's their job to fix it - whatever the stupid computer says.

Renault Scenic - Used car warranty problems - daveyK_UK

I hope you get it sorted out, but it would be helpful if you could tell us what engine is in the car and waht type of transmission as this may be a common problem?

The renault scenic does have more common faults than most cars of its era.

Yes, that's what I would think. I'll argue this with them tomorrow but they have put me in a spot... I mean they call me up saying they know there's a fault and now have to find it and confirm what it is exactly, but how can they find the fault if they don't open up the engine and spend a few hours on it, and yet they said they can charge me for the man hours. the time spend to find the fault (so that they can rectify it) should be covered under the warranty, that just makes sense.

Thanks.

they can potentially milk me out of a lot of money if they check the different parts of the engine one by one, and they may find the problem and fix it in the end, but they will say that the labour spent on checking the turbo is not covered uner the warranty as it wasn't the problem, so this is my dilema. I could say yes go ahead (which I have already done) and check the turbo as they said it's likely that would be the problem, but if they don't want to budge on the labour charges condition, I'm not quite sure what I should do. Warranty is still valid as I sent the car in just before it expired, so I might have a problem later on as the warranty may not be valid after this (or may have to argue really hard for it), even though I've highlighted the problem before it expired. in a bit of a dilema. so if anyone has had similar problems with warranty in similar scenarios I would appreciate your input a lot.

Renault Scenic - Used car warranty problems - 72 dudes

I don't see that you have any alternative but to let them do the analysis for £180 and take it from there.

In terms of your warranty covering other parts which may have failed, who knows if you don't? You should have asked for full details of what the warranty covered when the car was purchased. Was it a Renault Approved Used warranty?

At least you have reported the fault before the warranty expires so if the failed part is covered by the warranty there should be no problem. If it's not covered, I'm afraid you have to put it down to the cost of repairing modern diesel cars when they go wrong.