Audi A3 - Audi A3 1.9 TDI Vs BMW 118D - Ash_Davis123

I'm looking at getting a new car and have narrowed it down to either an Audi A3 1.9 TDI (2009) or BMW 1 Series 118D (2010) with about 50,000 miles on a budget of around £9 to £10K.

I like the look of both and will be test driving them tomorrow but can anyone offer advice on the difference in maintenance costs and reliability.. are they much the same or do they differ a lot?

Appreciate any advice on this one!

Audi A3 - Audi A3 1.9 TDI Vs BMW 118D - iFocus

Both will be pretty much the same in all fairness, they both have DMFs, but only the BMW has a DPF although they rarely go wrong on them. Do you do enough mileage to warrant a diesel?

The 1.9TDi is a proven lump but has issues with throwing rods occasionally and the 118D engine has been known to snap camchains.

Just take both for a drive and see which one you prefer, but make sure it has a FSH at aleast.

Audi A3 - Audi A3 1.9 TDI Vs BMW 118D - daveyjp
The Audi will be one of the last 1.9TDis produced. I had a A3s manufactured in 2005 and 2007 which were both 2.0 TDi PD units.

If you need to use the rear seats the BMW will be very tight, to the point of being virtually unuseable, so check how much room there is.

Yes I do a fair amount of miles for work so would like an efficient diesel.

You mentioned the 1.9 is a proven lump.. Would it be worth looking more at the 2.0 A3? even though it costs extra so would have to get one with few more miles..

Audi A3 - Audi A3 1.9 TDI Vs BMW 118D - daveyK_UK

Never been near a A3, have no idea what it's like but always assumed it was 95% VW Golf parts.

The 1 series is a dreadful car IMO, there has been a known chain issue for years and BMW refusal to do anything meaningful about it would be a good enough reason to remove it from your shortlist.

I also don't understand how BMW managed to make the 1 series so cramped inside, it's as bad a design as the Vauxhall Insignia interior.

If you ever plan on using the back seats, don't buy a 1 series.

Audi A3 - Audi A3 1.9 TDI Vs BMW 118D - bazza

Agree, the 1 Series is the most uncomfortable car I've ever driven. You sit low in it, feels like you're facing the sky if you're not careful.If you've any kind of bad back, forget it. And there's no room in the back. The 1.9 VW PD is very good - noisy compared to newer diesels but its trump card is no particle filter, no common rail, no injector and no oil pump drive weaknesses compared to other 2.0 PD units. The newer 2.0 common rail units are great to drive but a lot of very expensive kit on them (High pressure common rail fuel pumps) plus particle filters and all associated plumbing- could be big bills out of warranty.

Do you actually need a diesel? I'd go for long warranty makes if you do at that price rather than confine yourself to Audi/BM---- you're paying for the badge too of course. A newer Seat Exeo estate would be great value if you do want the VW units---- but advice above applies, it has the newer 2.0 common rail ( I think)

Audi A3 - Audi A3 1.9 TDI Vs BMW 118D - skidpan

Have had both a BMW 118D and a 1.9TDi (but ours was in a Golf). Both were totally reliable and both did about the same MPG. But the Golf was a slug compared to the BMW which had truly great performance. In the 5 1/2 years we had the BMW never had any DPF issues, it just got on with regens when needed.

As for ride our BMW was fine but it had 16" wheels and standard suspension. Add M Sport Suspension and 18" + wheels to the equation and it would be awfull.

Our BMW had M Sport front seats which were supremely comfortable but did make access/exit a little more difficult than the standard ones.

Space in the Golf was better but only the OP can decide if space is a deciding point, obviously its not since the OP is considering it.

Which would I buy again, without a doubt the BMW with its superb engine.

Audi A3 - Audi A3 1.9 TDI Vs BMW 118D - Alby Back
Always seems an odd size of car to me this. Not small enough to provide the advantages of a small car, not large enough to provide the advantages of a large car. Badges too premium to be cheap, models too ordinary to feel premium.

Neither fish nor fowl to me.

However, they are without question popular so I guess I must be missing something. ;-)

Anyway, for what it's worth, given the choice of those two I'd go with the BMW for a vote from this corner.

I had a good look at both cars today and still 50/50 on this one!

I love the look of both cars so making a decision based on peformance and cost, it does seem the BMW is the way to go. For a very similar price, you seem to get a lot more for the money and higher peformance.

The only thing I'm unsure of is how they will differ in service and maintenace costs or the posibility of something expensive failing on either. If they're quite similar, I think BMW is the way to go

Audi A3 - Audi A3 1.9 TDI Vs BMW 118D - Alby Back
If you like corners go for the RWD BMW. If you prefer dashboards go for the Audi.
Audi A3 - Audi A3 1.9 TDI Vs BMW 118D - Happy Blue!

Recent experience of driving a 118D for a few days was enough for me to put me off. You spend a lot of time inside car and I though the interior was dreadful. Far too plasticky, the fake iPad screed a joke and the seating position uncomfortable. However the performance was good as was the economy (but not great).

The main difference is RWD vs FWD. If you live in an area which gets snow, you will need to fit snow tyres to the BMW to get anywhere near the traction of the Audi.

Frankly, I would look to spend my money on cars which are less flash but give you more space and performance, and are newer for the same money.

Don't even consider the 2.0 PD, its a god awful engine with a shockingly bad injector system, problems with balancer chains amongst other things.

The 1.9 PD is the only engine to consider in VAG car.

Audi A3 - Audi A3 1.9 TDI Vs BMW 118D - brettmick

I have owned plenty of cars and in 2009 bought a brand new 1.8 petrol A3 in Sport trim. Nice car, quick, quiet, well built, fairly comfortable. In 2011 I bought a 2.0 petrol A3 cabriolet. Both are fast in a straight line but certainly not engaging to drive - my Subura Legacy was far better. We now have two small children and as a result a Yaris and Zafira.

I don't think I would buy a German car again in the near to middle future - they are less reliable than their Japanese peers while being lower specified equipment wise and more expensive to purchase.

The £9,000 of a used Diesel A3 gets close to buying a 9 month old Hyundai i30 or year old Toyota Auris each with lower "performance" (0-60) but better MPG and 4+ years of warranty meaning that as an ownership prospect the car will have lower costs and almost certainly reliability. The only reason I would choose the A3 is the badge or superior ambiance of the cabin.

Audi A3 - Audi A3 1.9 TDI Vs BMW 118D - balleballe

For a more engaging drive, I'd choose the BMW.

I've driven a golf with the 1.9 and a 118d. The golf got much better mpg on a run and around town. Similar distances and speeds.

On a motorway journey of 220 miles the golf returned 51mpg. The BMW returned 45mpg.

The 1.9 VAG engine is probably the best and most reliable diesel engine they have made. Although I've not had an issue with the 2.0 BMW, there have been reports of snapped chains which is likely caused by extended oil change intervals.

If going for the BMW, I'd make sure the oil and filter has been changed on a regular basis and not a long life service plan with the oil being changed every 20k+ miles.

You get less for your money with Audi/VAG due to the prestige badge and the fact they are sought after in the used market.

Whichever car you choose, good luck

Audi A3 - Audi A3 1.9 TDI Vs BMW 118D - Avant

"You get less for your money with Audi/VAG due to the prestige badge and the fact they are sought after in the used market."

This is the crucial point. There's a case for buying a German car new because it'll hold its value better. That includes BMW Minis, as SWMBO has found several times over.

Buying used I'd look at either a Ford (lots to choose from) or a Toyota (for reliability). Go for a diesel only if you do a really high mileage.

Audi A3 - Audi A3 1.9 TDI Vs BMW 118D - Steveieb

My daughter's A3 2.0 TDI 170 needed a new particulate filter at 50K miles and there was nothing the main dealer could do to clear the problem except fit a replacement at £2k.

Saw a 57 plate 1.9 TDI A3 with a destroyed engine at similar miles. Could this be a result of fitting a particulate filter to the previously faultless 1.9PD engine?

at similar miles. Could this be a result of fitting a particulate filter to the previously faultless 1.9PD engine?

No, its probably the fact the 1.9 engine isn't the be all and end all people make it out to be!

Audi A3 - Audi A3 1.9 TDI Vs BMW 118D - corax
at similar miles. Could this be a result of fitting a particulate filter to the previously faultless 1.9PD engine?

If it was a BXE engine, then they are known to fail.

Not all 1.9's are created equal.

I'm aware there are far more sensible options to go for, like a hyundai, Toyota or Ford and once I have a family I will probably go for these but right now I'm pretty set on paying for the badge as it were.

From reading the above it seems the Audi 1.9 is the way to go for reliability and have found some nice ones nearby with about 50k on the clock. Is there anything I should look out or ask about the engine? Should I avoid bxe engines?

How do I tell if its a BXE engine.. I've found this online, which is selling at a good deal.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20141030860...p

Audi A3 - Audi A3 1.9 TDI Vs BMW 118D - Ordovices

Figures look similar to BXE outputs.

My Passat is a BXE engine, I'm sure it will let go any moment as it's over 100K now. If the Touran taxi we've had a couple of times (with the same engine) is anything to go by I've only got another 149K left. I suppose my colleagues Superb is running on borrowed time at 300K plus.

The engines failing is probably why you see so few post 2006 1.9 Octavias on the road, same for the Touran, Altea, Leon and Passat.

Audi A3 - Audi A3 1.9 TDI Vs BMW 118D - corax

Should I avoid bxe engines?

It seems that these and BLS engines suffer from conrod failure and usually end up with a hole in the side of the block. It seems to affect mainly 07 - 09 cars, although some will be OK. There is a question mark over whether VAG used inferior quality materials on a batch of these engines. You could buy a car with the above but why risk it when we know what VAG are like at not admitting fault.

The older engines are the strong ones.