Contest bus lane PCN - mss1tw

Got caught in a bus lane in Birmingham (130 miles from where I live so not familiar with the area)

I contested it on what I believe are reasonable grounds (Lack of clear signage as I exited the site I had been working - it exits onto the bus lane)

Then saw that once contested the £30 fee is void and the full £60 is payable if they decline.

That's just blackmail, surely? Do I not have a right to defend myself?

Edited by mss1tw on 22/10/2014 at 14:36

Contest bus lane PCN - skidpan

Ignorance of the area is no defense.

Look harder next time.

Ignorance of the area is no defense.

Look harder next time.

There was nothing to look harder at.

Edited by Avant on 22/10/2014 at 20:43

Contest bus lane PCN - RobJP

If you complied with the bus lane while entering the site, but forgot about it when leaving, then tough. Would you expect to have a speed limit sign there too, so that you knew what the limit was ?

If you complied with the bus lane while entering the site, but forgot about it when leaving, then tough. Would you expect to have a speed limit sign there too, so that you knew what the limit was ?

Ignoring the needless snarcy tone of your post:

The other side of the road is a bus lane, but permits access to the site only.

goo.gl/maps/jhpjB

It seems you have to go right out of the underground car park and continue down this road. There is a big BUS AND CYCLES only sign to the right though, and no council provided signs that a left turn is prohibited.

goo.gl/maps/jtfg3

So you can't go right, and you can't go left.

Edited by mss1tw on 22/10/2014 at 16:49

Contest bus lane PCN - HandCart

Where did you get 'done' , on entering or exiting?

According to your linked photo of the exit, you're not allowed to turn right, so you have to turn left and proceed to the roundabout. On the photos at least, I can't see anything that says you can't turn left.

Where did you get 'done' , on entering or exiting?

According to your linked photo of the exit, you're not allowed to turn right, so you have to turn left and proceed to the roundabout. On the photos at least, I can't see anything that says you can't turn left.

I'm wondering now. I defintely turned left the most recent time I was there.

The first time I'd done a 5k run in the morning then had to hot foot immediately it from Surrey to Bham as someone had done a 'no show'. I honestly can't remember which way I went the first time. It was a hell of a day.

Edited by mss1tw on 22/10/2014 at 17:16

Contest bus lane PCN - leef

haha!! Something we've all wanted to say to Skidpan at some point.

To be fair, you've no chance, I did the same thing in salford, straight onto a bus lane from a turning, camera placed to maximise revenue. I moved out the lane within about 5 seconds, but got NIP in the post, Tried to appeal, off the record they agreed with me fully, on the record, my own fault, there is a tiny sign within 50ft or something.

Take it on the chin, and hand over your cash to the b**tards.

Edited by leef on 22/10/2014 at 16:40

haha!! Something we've all wanted to say to Skidpan at some point.

To be fair, you've no chance, I did the same thing in salford, straight onto a bus lane from a turning, camera placed to maximise revenue. I moved out the lane within about 5 seconds, but got NIP in the post, Tried to appeal, off the record they agreed with me fully, on the record, my own fault, there is a tiny sign within 50ft or something.

Take it on the chin, and hand over your cash to the b**tards.

There'll be another one along in a week then.

£60 + £30 = I made £200 for two Saturdays work and drove 500 miles for the priviledge.

Edited by mss1tw on 22/10/2014 at 16:44

My tone in my previous reply was snarky ?

Damn, but you've really never met me in real life. I'll put it a bit more bluntly.

You are supposed to use your eyes, and your observation skills, which you have honed through tens of thousands of miles of driving. If you are unable to do that, and to comply with the law, then suck it up, princess, and pay up. If you really, truly believe that they are in the wrong, then appeal. If not, then can it, and quit whining.

That snarky enough for you ? because my original reply was positively civilised, in my opinion.

As said, if you feel they are in the wrong, being sneaky, etc. then appeal. Take it all the way to the independent appeals tribunal. I do seem to recall a council (quite possibly Birmingham) being directed to refund a load of bus lane fines due to poor signage, that happened just a few months ago, or maybe last year.

My tone in my previous reply was snarky ?

Damn, but you've really never met me in real life. I'll put it a bit more bluntly.

Internet hard man. Would love to meet you in real life.

As said, if you feel they are in the wrong, being sneaky, etc. then appeal. Take it all the way to the independent appeals tribunal. I do seem to recall a council (quite possibly Birmingham) being directed to refund a load of bus lane fines due to poor signage, that happened just a few months ago, or maybe last year.

I am appealing. The original point was that if the appeal is declined, they decide to forfeit the original £30 and go for the full £60. That seems very unfair.

Contest bus lane PCN - skidpan

haha!! Something we've all wanted to say to Skidpan at some point

And now for something I have wanted to say for ages to some on here.

Edited by Avant on 22/10/2014 at 20:45

haha!! Something we've all wanted to say to Skidpan at some point

And now for something I have wanted to say for ages to some on here.

Been edited by the mods. PM me, would love to hear it.

Edited by leef on 23/10/2014 at 11:33

Contest bus lane PCN - pcvpilotmick

I got caught in a bus lane in Bradford a few years ago, at the time I was unfarmiliar with the area and drove where I shouldnt have done. I got the pcn through the post, paid the £30 as opposed to the £70 if I had appealed. I was bang to rights, so I took the cheap option, couldn't be bothered with the hassle of trying to appeal. Did a couple of hours overtime at work to recoup the money and resolved to exercise more caution in future.

Good luck with your appeal!

I got caught in a bus lane in Bradford a few years ago, at the time I was unfarmiliar with the area and drove where I shouldnt have done. I got the pcn through the post, paid the £30 as opposed to the £70 if I had appealed. I was bang to rights, so I took the cheap option, couldn't be bothered with the hassle of trying to appeal. Did a couple of hours overtime at work to recoup the money and resolved to exercise more caution in future.

Good luck with your appeal!

Cheers Mick! Just cancelled all my charity direct debits to pay for it. Karma is indeed, a b****. ;-)

Contest bus lane PCN - Happy Blue!

I am most disappointed with the tone of two Forum members in response to a long standing third member who has asked for some advice. Yes, we are expected to use our eyes and knowledge, but the circumstances are such that most of us will be caught out by such Council trickery at some point. It is a case "there but for the grace of god etc etc".

Spending a little time on other fora, the HJ BackRoom is an oasis of calm and restraint. Yes some of us are a bit know it all and some refuse to take good honest advice when sought, but agressive and unhelpful comments are inappropriate when you know full well you would not say the same thing to an aquaintance face to face.

I am most disappointed with the tone of two Forum members in response to a long standing third member who has asked for some advice. Yes, we are expected to use our eyes and knowledge, but the circumstances are such that most of us will be caught out by such Council trickery at some point. It is a case "there but for the grace of god etc etc".

Spending a little time on other fora, the HJ BackRoom is an oasis of calm and restraint. Yes some of us are a bit know it all and some refuse to take good honest advice when sought, but agressive and unhelpful comments are inappropriate when you know full well you would not say the same thing to an aquaintance face to face.

Two people, myself and skidpan, posted replies. They may not heve been to the OPs liking, so he drops to direct, blunt insults, in one case calling skidpan (an obscenity).

So who, exactly, are you disappointed with ? And who, exactly, are you saying would (or should) not say the same 'aggressive and unhelpful' things face-to-face ?

Edited by Avant on 22/10/2014 at 20:46

Contest bus lane PCN - pcvpilotmick

Whilst I am not excusing the OP's response to Skidpan's reply, lets just take a step back for a moment,

The OP is bound to feel aggrieved that he has got a council pursuing him for a considerable amount of his earnings for that day, after straying into a bus lane for a little while. Hardly a major offence after all.

He asked for advice, and got a response that he, and I suspect many others, found unhelpful and maybe a little provocative.

If people have to criticise others, keep it constructive. Its no suprise that people don't post again with blunt replies to questions like that.

Contest bus lane PCN - retgwte

I got done by a camera for going through a red light to let a police car on blue lights through.

I consider so called justice in this country a complete and utter joke.

All the basics of normal decency have broken down, and the authorities busy themselves chasing decent people for doing the right thing.

Contest bus lane PCN - Bromptonaut

The £60/30 thing is actually quite simple.

The fine for the infringement is £60.

If you know you're in the wrong you can cop a 50% reduction for coming clean and paying up promptly. If you're in doubt or a chancer the 50% rate is there to tempt or divert you from the path of frivolous and time wasting appeals, same principle as paying the fixed penalty (with or without points) -v- contesting before the beak for moving traffic offences.

Contest bus lane PCN - Manatee

Nice editing Avant. When there was yobbish behaviour at school, the teachers were never interested in who started it!

I'm saying 100% you wouldn't say it my face, your a gobby keyboard warrior, nothing more or less, and we all know about skidpan, but I'm used to him, its just his "way". I think somebody got it right when they called you an "internet hardman".

Contest bus lane PCN - Avant

I agree entirely, HB and PCV - many thanks.

Thanks also to Bromptonaut for the reply that the OP actually needed. It may not be what you wanted to hear, MSS, but it sets it out politely and succinctly.

Any more insults and this whole thread goes.

I agree entirely, HB and PCV - many thanks.

Thanks also to Bromptonaut for the reply that the OP actually needed. It may not be what you wanted to hear, MSS, but it sets it out politely and succinctly.

Any more insults and this whole thread goes.

Thanks Avant and apologies for the red mist.

Guess you're right Bromp. Still seems like blackmail/extraction of a plea bargain to me, but there you go. No point trying to fight the system, unless any one fancies forming an angry mob and marching on Birmingham council offices with me?

No?

Contest bus lane PCN - Doc

I think you should appeal.

There are no signs on the exit that say bus lane that I can see.

I think you should appeal.

There are no signs on the exit that say bus lane that I can see.

Already have for that reason! My main issue was the rather unethical "'Fess up to something you didn't do for £30, or pay £60 if you want us to hear your side of the story"

I guess they've had lawyers look into it and it's legal...

Edited by mss1tw on 22/10/2014 at 21:05

Contest bus lane PCN - Doc

I notice that the Street View car went both ways along the stretch of road!

I notice that the Street View car went both ways along the stretch of road!

I noticed that too :-D Lucky for me I guess.

Wonder how many fines the whole Streetview project clocked up?

I mentioned earlier about a council being taken to a tribunal regarding poor signage and bus lanes.

Having looked it up, it was Birmingham. Here is an article regarding :

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-28267901

Birmingham's actions appear to have been ... of dubious morality, shall we say, in the past.

The tribunal, if you do decide to take it that far, will cost you nothing - apart from the full fine, rather than the discounted one. With Birmingham's past record on this, if I felt I was in the right, and the signs were poor, badly-positioned, or non-existent, I'd probably go all the way on that. But that's me, and I am of dubious parentage.

I mentioned earlier about a council being taken to a tribunal regarding poor signage and bus lanes.

Having looked it up, it was Birmingham. Here is an article regarding :

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-28267901

Birmingham's actions appear to have been ... of dubious morality, shall we say, in the past.

The tribunal, if you do decide to take it that far, will cost you nothing - apart from the full fine, rather than the discounted one. With Birmingham's past record on this, if I felt I was in the right, and the signs were poor, badly-positioned, or non-existent, I'd probably go all the way on that. But that's me, and I am of dubious parentage.

Thanks Rob. I am a stubborn person of dubious parentage, who is also frugal. So It seems like a win/win situation if the worse thing is paying the full £60. Does it mean having to drive to Bham again though?

Maybe I'll get the bus ;)

The only thing you need from Birmingham is up-to-date photographs. While streetview is great, it doesn't show the signage as it is now. If another forumite is local-ish to Birmingham, and able to take some good pictures for you, then that's be all you'd need.

If you did take it to the tribunal, then it's not the sort of thing you need to worry about turning up in person at. You send them all your documents and photos, and your argument as to why it is an unreasonable fine, and they decide.

Some people seem to feel that the tribunals are weighted in favour of the councils, but in my experience they aren't. I've had to take Manchester twice to tribunal, once over parking, once for bus lane, and I won on both occasions. In the parking case, the tribunal ordered the council to review their recruitment processes (!), as it seemed they were employing people who could regularly not correctly read numberplates, judging by the number of cases coming in front of the tribunal. I found that quite amusing.

That's good to know, thanks

Contest bus lane PCN - Bromptonaut

If you did take it to the tribunal, then it's not the sort of thing you need to worry about turning up in person at. You send them all your documents and photos, and your argument as to why it is an unreasonable fine, and they decide.

There is a evidence that personal appearance before tribunals does improve outcomes for the appellant tinyurl.com/lmnezox though it's probably more important in benefit or employment cases then parking.

IIRC the tribunal will list your case at a venue near you rather than locus of infringement if that is waht you ask for. Agree with Rob JP that the tribunal has a strong record of impartiality. Although it's funded via a levy on tickets and managed though a joint committee of LA's led by Manchester the Chief Adjudicator and her staff will not brook any interference.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 23/10/2014 at 11:13

Contest bus lane PCN - Brit_in_Germany

I would say appeal if you exited and turned left. If you turned right, however, there is a sign saying buses and bikes only so pay the thirty quid. If you can't remember, the thirty quid option looks the best one.