Kia Sportage - Asked for Advice - was I right? - Happy Blue!

Currently overseas and last night visited a friend who bought a two year old Kia Sportage a few months ago. He mentioned a problem with the car. When the car is locked he can open the boot.

So I went out to the car and tried to open the boot, but it did not. He then tried and it opened. Odd?? Tried again and the boot opened. After a few minutes fiddling around I gave up.

Last night in bed I realised the car had keyless go and therefore probably keyless entry! Of course. When my friend was near me and holding the keys the boot unlocked, If he was a bit further away, it stayed locked. I have justed texted him with this news. Was I right??

Kia Sportage - Asked for Advice - was I right? - daveyjp
Sounds like it. The other week a friend's wife had to call her husband to get back to her asap. He had dropped her off and she had the car key in her pocket, but it was a keyless go Range Rover, he was at the beginning of a 40 mile journey.

He then needed to go to the dealer to find out why the "no key in car" warning hadn't worked.
Kia Sportage - Asked for Advice - was I right? - gordonbennet

I think HB's right too.

Predictably, keyless unlocking/go is not something i'll have on a car, ever.

Apart from its yet another solution to a problem that didn't exist (except maybe those few who worry about VPL's), i'm far too forgetful and disorganised and no doubt end up leaving the remote in all sorts of places.

Is there an advantage to KG?

Kia Sportage - Asked for Advice - was I right? - RichT54

When I had a keyless Honda CR-V I had to make sure I didn't have the key in my pocket while washing it. Otherwise, everytime I moved the wash-mitt over a door handle, it would cause the doors to lock or unlock!

Turns out I was right. I must admit that whilst I like the EPB (sorry GB!), I can see no good reason for the keyless go and entry systems. In regular cars the keys are in the ignition lock so you know where to find them........

Kia Sportage - Asked for Advice - was I right? - Brit_in_Germany

I know where my keys are - they are in my pocket where they always are! I find keyless entry systems a wonderful development - all I have to do is pull on the door handle rather than fumbling in my pockets for the key. With no blade sticking out, they don't punch holes in my suit and I don't have to stare at an ignition switch to make sure I'm trying to poke the key in the right hole at the right orientation.

Kia Sportage - Asked for Advice - was I right? - Avant

With keyless entry, how are you supposed to check that it's worked and locked the car when you leave it? If you go back and check, it'll unlock again.

I must be missing something - but I know, like you, that I don't want it.

Kia Sportage - Asked for Advice - was I right? - alan1302

With keyless entry, how are you supposed to check that it's worked and locked the car when you leave it? If you go back and check, it'll unlock again.

I must be missing something - but I know, like you, that I don't want it.

You just have to assume it has worked!

Kia Sportage - Asked for Advice - was I right? - thunderbird

With keyless entry, how are you supposed to check that it's worked and locked the car when you leave it?

Its simple, if the car locked itself it will still be there later. If it didn't it will probably be gone and on its way to Africa.

We have had three cars in our fleet with keyless entry; a Saab and two Nissans. The Saab had no way of letting you know the car was locked. It unlocked with two pulls of the handle. A waste of time. The Nissans were much better as they had buttons on the door handles and under the boot lid lip. You press the button to lock or unlock and then pull the handle or press another button on the boot to open. A bit of a phaff so we have resorted to using the remote.

I have also found that the stop start button inside is on the left side of the steeering wheel whereas keys usually go on the right. Hence I frequently go the for wrong side, especially as my Ford needs a key in the ignition. So, on both counts a bit of waste of time, as I need to get the keys out of my pocket/briefcase to open the car. I am not a luddite, but some things are an answer looking for a question....