Chevy Tacuma - Oil leak - advise really appreciated - stralana

Hi all, new to the forum as I just bought a chevy Tacuma, though payment hasn't yet went through.

It has a soot and oily build up at the part shown in the photo. Does this mean the gasket has gone, is it okay to drive and could there be a bigger problem going on?

The seller has said he will have it fixed but not knowing much about cars, I want to be sure that I know what the problem is and what needs done to rectify it.

Hope somebody can help, many thanks

Photo of engine

Chevy Tacuma - Oil leak - advise really appreciated - Oli rag

Could be just a weep from the cam cover gasket, but if you're at all unsure I'd walk away and buy something you're totally happy with.

Chevy Tacuma - Oil leak - advise really appreciated - stralana

Hi, thanks for the reply. Turns out to be a weeping from the valve cover and will cost about £125 to repair. After saying they would fix the problem, the seller has now said they won't and wants the car back but will refund as my payment has now cleared.

Annoying as I want the car but feel they should fix it as they sold it claiming it had been checked over by a local garage last week and there were no issues whatsoever. Then of course they agreed to repair it only to then renege on that agreement.

Frustrating to say the least but guess I need to start looking again!