Xantia cooling - leo
The engine in my 1.9 diesel Xantia (non turbo)is running hot, according to the temp gauge, but I am not getting any heat from the heater. I have recently topped up the header tank, do I need to bleed the system to get rid of any air gaps.
The thermostat seems to be working but only the right hand side of the raditor is getting warm.
Any ideas

leo
Xantia cooling - Reggie
It definately sounds as if you have air locks in this engine, therefore yes, it needs bleeding immeadiately, if it's not too late for your engine already.
The question is, when you "topped it up", how much did it take and is it/was it using water all the time?
If there is no heat coming from the heater and the engine is running hot, it sounds as if there has been a significant leak at some point and that the engine is airlocked and may have insufficient coolant to cool the engine. There may be no heat coming from the heater either because the level is insufficient to service the heater or the coolant is airlocked. On these engines you are likely to get localised overheating with airlocks which will warp the head (if it is not already too late).
If the coolant has only just recently started going down fastish, it would sound as if you have a coolant leak or the cylinder head gasket has gone.
First step though is to bleed the system using a "header tank" to make sure that all air locks are irradicated. On Citroens, I believe that there are some bleed screws strategically located amongst the pipework to assist you with this.
Good luck.
Reggie
Xantia cooling - M.M
Leo,

A cool heater and cold areas on the radiator after topping up ring alarm bells on a Xantia diesel system. You can do the head gasket very quickly like this.

It is crucial the system is properly bled through using a temporary header tank. If you have a Haynes follow the coolant fill/bleed procedure...if not buy one!

MM