306 Clutch Problems - ASH1
Hi All,

I'm having a problem with my Peugeot 306 and engauging gear when the car is over heating. The gear change is quite heavy anyway, but becomes progressively harder and then impossible when the car warms up to about 90 degrees or so. I leave the car for about 30 seconds and then the clutch becomes loose again. I have been to a Peugeot dealer who says the clutch plate needs replacing, even though the clutch is not slipping or making funny noises. I thought it related to the clutch cable and just needed adjustment, however the clutch cable on my car is self adjusting.

Can anybody provide any ideas or help on what could be wrong? I don't want to spend 380 quid on a new clutch plate when I don't need to.

Thanx
306 Clutch Problems - Dynamic Dave
Various other simliar posts regarding stiff clutches on the 306 indicate a worn clutch cable.

Quick search found www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=10...6 but there are several others, plus a comment in HJ's Car by Car Breakdown, on the left of this page.
306 Clutch Problems - IanT
In a sense, I had the opposite problem - a gearchange which was most difficult when the engine was cold (ie in freezing temperatures) and got better as everything warmed up.

My clutch pedal was also heavy to press (is this what you mean when you say "the gear change is quite heavy"?)

Solution to the heavy clutch pedal was a new clutch cable - very effective.

Solution to the difficult gearchange was to oil the gearchange linkage. Though one day I need to do a better job on this and dismantle the gearchange linkage and grease it instead of just oiling it.

Of course, your problem might be something else - but I hope not.

Ian