VW GOLF or anyother model - What car to choose ? - very much confused - vids

John,

We have been looking for a 3-5 year old automatic car for past 3 weeks but not getting anywhere. We always owned old BMW's which never gave more than 19 mpg.

What we need in new car? - Great comfort as BMW, all modern facilities,good MPG and great value for price.

We have viewed VW golf 1.6 TDI (2011), Toyota Auris Hybrid (2011) , Seat leon (2013- manual).

Verdict -DH found VW not interesting, Toyota ok.

Whilst viewing all these , we happend to view AUDI A4 s Line Avant (58 plate , 36k for 14k) and quite liked it. Not pursuing because of the running cost. We would also like to consider successful 320D BMW.

We are so confused. please help.

Thanks,

Vidhya

VW GOLF or anyother model - What car to choose ? - very much confused - Avant

If you are lookking for advice from Honest John himsel, you need to E-mail letters@honestjohn.co.uk

You should ideally give a little more idea of what you are looking for, e.g. how big a car do you want and what's your annual mileage? If under about 15,000 a year, go for petrol rather than diesel. As you're looking fo a car 3 or more years old, avoid VW Group automatics as the DSG may give trouble when the car is a few years old.

Unless your mileage is very high, I'd suggest something Japanese and petrol-powered or hybrid. The Auris you looked at could suit you, although I'm curious that you found it more 'interesting' than a Golf!

VW GOLF or anyother model - What car to choose ? - very much confused - iFocus

Have you considered a Kia Cee'd or a Hyundai i30?

VW GOLF or anyother model - What car to choose ? - very much confused - gordonbennet

Whats confusing, your husband liked the Auris Hybrid (did you?), it's auto, it's economical, it's likely to be as reliable as anything else you could buy.

Did the VW sales geezers chin hit his knees when you failed to swoon and make appropriate cooing and aahing noises of approval and wonderment about the perfect car..:-)

VW GOLF or anyother model - What car to choose ? - very much confused - Graham567

You could get a brand new Fiesta automatic for the prices your looking at.The auto box will be much more reliable than a DSG VW.you would also get alot of safety kit and things such as folding door mirrors,parking sensors,voice control,text reading,automatic safety breaking and auto dialing the emergency services in the event of an accident.

Maybe worth a look?

Whats confusing is what make and model to go. We are after reliability,economical and bit fashinoable. VW as very boaring according to my DH but he fancied new Toyota.

Seat Leon is not too bad either. Too much criteria make more confusion and deny decision.

Thanks,

Vidhya

Sorry. We didnt look in to Kia or Hyundai.

Vidhya

Thanks I have now emailed to the email address.

VW GOLF or anyother model - What car to choose ? - very much confused - ifekas

As others have said, if you wish to keep your car after the manufacturer's warranty is over, avoid the VW Group DSG cars as they can be troublesome or expensive to fix.

Some months ago I was looking to go auto, and in the end I went for Kia Ceed diesel auto which I have been happy with, but that may not have the prestige your may want; then again the Toyota wouldn't either. I did consider the Toyota Auris Hybrid but it seemed expensive for what it was, though should hold its value well and be reliable.

Apparently Ford are doing really good deals on the Focus as it is a runout model, and available with petrol EcoBoost engine with auto transmission - apparently the Ford transmission is supposed to be much more reliable than VW Group and more economical than torque converter autos.

If you want prestige, I haven't heard any horror stories on BMW auto boxes, so perhaps a diesel BMW may be worth looking at if you do a decent mileage.

Thank you.

VW GOLF or anyother model - What car to choose ? - very much confused - skidpan

I have a Seat Leon 1.4 TSI. New last year, the latest model. Superb car. Very economical for a petrol (45 mpg average) and so far totally reliable. Bought it via a broker, got a superb deal but the garage proved themselves to be a total load of muppets with the paperwork. Took it to a different garge for its first service, they didn't bother to tighten the sump plug. Still a few dealers to try, must be a decent one not too far away.

Wife has a Kia Ceed CRDi. had it 4 years and its been totally reliable with the exception of a holed A/C condensor which was (surprisingly) replaced under warranty. Not as good to drive as the Seat or as quick but it does average 52 mpg. Dealer has been good as well.

Would I buy them again. Yes I would. But I would need to find a different Seat dealer first.

VW GOLF or anyother model - What car to choose ? - very much confused - Smileyman

I'm in Kent, I've noticed the Leon as a possible replacement car, there used to be a good dealer on the A28 between Thanet and Canterbury, but the franchaise was moved to a different dealer in 'Motor City' much nearer Canterbury city centre.

I've yet to pay the new dealer a visit, but I did visit the dealer in Ashford a few weeks ago, whilst it was open there was no-one there to talk to, I ended up walking out without having spoken with anyone.

The A28 site is now housing (well, there is plenty of demand for housing in this part of the world)

VW GOLF or anyother model - What car to choose ? - very much confused - peg

Hi, If you require comfort, reliability and good fuel consumption Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol Auto.

Bought the tourer version 6 week ago and very pleased with preformance and all round ability, now done 1,200 ml and showing 40+ not bad on tight engine.

7 gear CVT Auto,+ paddles &sequential change.

Thanks all.