Lamborghini factory tour - Happy Blue!

I am in Italy on holiday with my family and booked into the factory tour at Sant Agata Bolognese. Due to a rubbish Sat Nav app, I took a wrong exit off the Autostrada near Modena so arrived late. However I and told them. Not only were they fine, they laid on a private tour for me and my two boys.

It was well done, with examples of cut away bodies in white and engines in small display areas, showing how the main elements are built up, and then we were shown around the two lines for the Aventador and Hurucan. The trim section was particularly interesting as was an understanding of where the cars are sold these days.

I remember reading Car Magazine in the early 1970s as a kid with stories of picking up Lamborghinis and driving back to London. The photographs were very artful and I was most impressed by the realisation that I was driving past some of the old farm houses that remember seeing in the pictures. The factory was built in the middle of the countryside in 1963 and is not so different today. The roads are narrow and whilst there are no hills in the Po valley, they still twist a bit as well as having their fair share of lunatic Italian drivers. We had a great time and the noise of engines as cars were driving away from the factory and museum is just indescribable.

My rental car has been a Fiat 500L Family, which is the same as a MPW in the UK, but without the third row of seats. As usual my wife sits in the rear to stop squabbling and despite huge amounts of luggage, claims to be almost as comfortable as in my S-Max. Driving at minimum highway speeds of 75mph (in fact usually 133kmh as per the Sat Nav) and including some stop start driving, with five people and luggage I have achieved over 52mpg over 700 miles. Pretty good for a blunt, boxy people carrier heavily laden. Getting it to 160kph was no problem at all.

The most amazing driving and scenery of this trip has been in the Euganei national park which are a series of beautiful cone shaped extinct volcanoes rising magesticaly out of the flat valley floor. Worth a trip just to visit them - south of Vicenza.

We could have also visited Maranello for Ferrari museum, but I have always had a soft spot for Lamborghinis. Maybe I should revert to my old screen name of Espada III, the one car not on display in the museum. Apparently it is in Bologna airport and my favourite car of all time swiftly followed by a proper two cylinder Fiat 500 from about 1970.

Lamborghini factory tour - Avant

I remember you as Espada III - wasn't that because that was the only Lamborghini that would have accommodated your family? Whether Espadrille would have been comfortable in the back of one of those is debatable!

I've wondered about the significance of 'Happy Blue' - a reference to the genial Rabbi Lionel perhaps?

Lamborghini factory tour - Happy Blue!

Right religion wrong reason! I support Manchester City and after years of being called Bitter Blues by the reds, we are now happy!

Espadrille wisely avoided the tour to entertain our ten year daughter for the morning whist her older brothers got to bond with their father and talk dirty about cylinder firing numbering plates on the front of the engines. Ah bliss. ....