Skoda Fabia 1.2 tsi 105bhp - oil quantity - archie46

My wifes car ( above), has just been serviced at a main Skoda agent. Upon checking the invoice, she has been charged for 9ltrs of oil costing £52.56 + vat, surely they have ripped her off?. What should be the ammount used to do an oil and filter change?.

She also asked if she could have a variable service (2yrs), owing to the low mileage she does. She was told that this wasn't possible on a Fabia, although i could have one on my Octavia if req'd!

I welcome your thoughts on the above. Many thanks.

Skoda Fabia 1.2 tsi 105bhp - oil quantity - skidpan

Can assure you that the TSi does not use 9 litres of oil. But the price charged is not excessive for any oil change so I think its possibly an admin error on the quantity.

As far as flexible servicing goes it is only intended for higher mileage users. You don't say what mileage she does.

But in my experience the price difference between fixed and flexible servicing is negligable because the oil used in the flexible is far more expensive. The major saving is your time because you have to take it to the garage less often.

Skoda Fabia 1.2 tsi 105bhp - oil quantity - RobJP

If you asked HJ, then he'd tell you, quite clearly, NO.

A car needs an oil change every year, or every 10k miles, whichever comes first. Skimping on oil changes might look like saving money, but it's a fool's game.

Skoda Fabia 1.2 tsi 105bhp - oil quantity - thunderbird

A car needs an oil change every year, or every 10k miles, whichever comes first. Skimping on oil changes might look like saving money, but it's a fool's game.

A car needs servicing at the intervals the manufacturer quotes. Longer intervals use long life oil which is much more expensive and designed for the job. Problem is some dealers do not use the correct oil and very few independants have more than one "one grade fits all" barrel in the workshop. Using the incorrect oil will cause issues and its these cars we all hear about. No one comes on here saying "my car has done 150000 miiels on long life service intervals with no problems", normally only people with problems come on here looking for solutions.

My BMW has been serviced every 2 years and has given no problems whatsoever. The correct grade of oil has been used every time, not cheap but not as expensive as you might think if you buy from the right places.

When I started driving cars needed a lubrication service including an oil change every 3000 miles. The oils were nothing like those of today. Move into the 80's and intervals were up to 10000 miles still using mineral based oils. The 18000 max my BMW does on Fully Synthetic oil is no problem.

And HJ says you are wrong, and that long service intervals are stupid.

Me, personally, I used to work in the chemical industry - oil formulations and testing of the same, at a rather large plant just by the Runcorn bridge. I agree with HJ. He says that the level of acceptable degradation was increased to please the fleet market, and he is correct.

So. That's HJ, who has the best interests of consumers at heart, saying long oil change intervals are bad. Me, who used to work in the industry, saying long intervals are bad.

You ... well, you carry on. After all, some smokers live till their 90s in perfect health, don't they. So that means smoking must be good for you ?

Skoda Fabia 1.2 tsi 105bhp - oil quantity - YG2007

We typically have more than 10 grades of oil available in the garage at any one time including at least 4 different specifications of 5W30. (If an odd ball vehicle comes in for service and we dont have the recommended spec of oil we will get it in for that vehicle). Oil requirements in modern engines are critical to their longevity and reliability. My only critcism of the manufacturers is the extreme long life they push the oil too for the fleet market to encourage the fleet /lease buyers to buy their product with lower maintenance costs.

Once the car reaches 50K it tends to enter the mainstream 2nd hand market and is then subject often to a lower annual mileage. The mileage only service intervals for oil changes become worthless when a customer is only doing 25% of that mileage a year. Oil regardless of make or spec is subject to the products of combustion including water which reacts with various acidic gases to break down the oil. This is not only mileage dependant but time dependant. Most cars hold around 4-5 litres of oil and even at £ 12/litre for a top spec synthethic low SAPs oil £ 60 -70 is hardly going to break the bank. Chuck in an oil filter new sump plug washer and 1/2 hr labour and for peace of mind and for around £100 you know your engine has fresh oil for another year.

The cars we see that give their owners the least problems (lowest running and maintenance costs) are the ones that get a regular sensible service regieme. We have a customer who runs an 03 plate Lexus LS 430 with 400K on the clock. Engine still like a swiss time piece (he lives in it )and it only requires 10W40. Apart from a transmission rebuild 3 years ago at 250K due to a failing oil water radiator no major problems just regular servicing.

Edited by Avant on 20/08/2014 at 13:24

And HJ says you are wrong, and that long service intervals are stupid

Honest John also says you should use only premium fuels since Supermarket Fuels are of a lower quaility.

He is wrong on that. I have tried both and could find no difference in the way the car ran or its mpg.

My car is fine on longer service intervals using the correct oils.

Perhaps he is paid by the petroleum industry.

And the other reply, from someone who works in/ owns a garage, who alsoseems to say you are wrong ? And the fact that in the USA, BMW have recently introduced more regular oil change requirements ?

Maybe we're all in a conspiracy, out to steal from your wallet.

Or maybe you need a tinfoil helmet to stop us reading your thoughts

And the fact that in the USA, BMW have recently introduced more regular oil change requirements

Probably because in America most cars still use mineral oil and have 6000 mile oil change intervals. Stick cheap mineral oil in a BMW and run it for 18000 miles and you will have problems.

Wife has a Kia, service interval is 20000 miles or 1 year using C3 spec fully synthetic. Same engine in American market cars has 6000 mile oil change intervals and uses mineral oil.

We have 50+ vans at work and probably 30 cars. All are serviced to the manufacturers requirements (with long intervals on most brands) and there has never been any engine problems. Most do galactic mileages.

Skoda Fabia 1.2 tsi 105bhp - oil quantity - archie46

Thanks for replies. I accept that from the answers given that it is a sensible regime to have oil changed every 10,000 miles/12 months, which we shall do.

The quantity charged for, 9ltrs, was for the oil only and not any labour charges, as these were charged sepaerately in the invoice, so can only assume that it was a delliberate ploy to overcharge my wife, especially as she took the car in to the garage and again collected it herself. Sorry to be sexist, but can only come to that conclussion.

Skoda Fabia 1.2 tsi 105bhp - oil quantity - alan1302

The quantity charged for, 9ltrs, was for the oil only and not any labour charges, as these were charged sepaerately in the invoice, so can only assume that it was a delliberate ploy to overcharge my wife, especially as she took the car in to the garage and again collected it herself. Sorry to be sexist, but can only come to that conclussion.

No, you can't assume that.

You can assume that it was a mistake - query it with the garage

Skoda Fabia 1.2 tsi 105bhp - oil quantity - Avant

I would think that the simplest answer to this is to follow the manufacturer's recommendation with the proviso that the oil should always be changed after a year.

I would think that the simplest answer to this is to follow the manufacturer's recommendation with the proviso that the oil should always be changed after a year.

Why, please explain.

What do the oil manufacturers have to gain by selling us long life oil that does not work like the spec sheets say it will. They would be leaving themselves open to being taken to court if it could be proved the oils would not work as specified.

No doubt there are some cars on extended oil change intervals that have had engine problems, no idea if they are connected. No doubt there are also some cars that have standard service intervals that have engine problems.

But the important fact is very few cars have such issues and I would expect that the majority that do have been using an incorrect oil. I take my hat off the the chap who posted above saying they had a multitude of different oils in the garage, he should educate one of our local Kia dealers who only used Ford oil which is the wrong stuff especially if you have a DPF.

I admit that when I get a new car I have the oil changed after a few months. Its an old habit and probably unnessary now but even though I am happy leaving Long Life oil in 2 years I am not happy leaving the first fill oil in for 2 years.

Skoda Fabia 1.2 tsi 105bhp - oil quantity - KB.

Why do, otherwise sensible, people keep on debating issues with thunderbird when we all know he's right. Always. Nowt so strange as folk.

Skoda Fabia 1.2 tsi 105bhp - oil quantity - madf

My wife runs cars with very low annual mileages in a manner designed to test them to destruction..

After we destroyed an (original) Mini engine through oil changes every two years and 4,000 miles we changed to a regime of once a year for oil and filter changes. Her Peugeot 106 diesel had an engine which ran perfectly after 17 years and 55,000 miles under that regime. I shudder to think what it would have been like if it had had changes every 10,000 miles...

People who drive high mileages tend to stress engines and oil less due to the engine and oil being hot most of the running time. People like my wife who drive around town rarely see 40mph so oil degradation can be a real problem.

Nowadays, cars which do huge mileages in short years are not uncommon. The cars that really should be admired for build quality are thiose that stand up to short journeys. And cope with infrequentish oil changes.

See the LONG thread on Focus TDCI engines in Technical...

Edited by madf on 20/08/2014 at 15:22

See the LONG thread on Focus TDCI engines in Technical...

Had one of those for 5 years. Oil changed at 3 months and then every 12500 miles as per Fords schedule using the correct Ford Spec 5w 30 semi synthetic. Running as sweet when we sold it as the day we bought it. In fact a mechanic at the garage we traded it to bought it the second we drove it onto the forcourt in PX. Still on the road, nearly 10 years old and according to the DVLA taxed until next June.

The simple reason why there have been so many reported issues with these engines is simple, its the most popular engine in the range of the best selling car in its class in the UK. Add to that people not using the correct oil (our local indy who does our MOT's freely admits to using 10w 40 in all his services) and the problem escalates.

One reason why you don't see many reported problems with Lexus 400's is they did not sell them in huge numbers.

After we destroyed an (original) Mini engine through oil changes every two years and 4,000 miles we changed to a regime of once a year for oil and filter changes.

That would be because the oil you were using was a traditional mineral oil that is not designed for Long Life intervals. The last Mini we had was a 1984. It still needed an oil change every 6 months or 6,000 miles. The oil in a Mini led a hard life, it had to lubricate the gearbox and diff as well as being pumped around the engine.

Not surprised you destroyed an engine. You were well outside what could be expected.

Thanks for replies. I accept that from the answers given that it is a sensible regime to have oil changed every 10,000 miles/12 months, which we shall do.

Its not the sensible option, its the only option since Skoda apparantly do not offer the flexible option on your car.

But since the garage appear to have lied to your wife about oil quantity they may be lying about the servicing as well. Perhaps you should check with another garage or even Skoda.

Skoda Fabia 1.2 tsi 105bhp - oil quantity - Doc

My wifes car ( above), has just been serviced at a main Skoda agent. Upon checking the invoice, she has been charged for 9ltrs of oil costing £52.56 + vat, surely they have ripped her off?. What should be the ammount used to do an oil and filter change?.

To answer your original question: the amount of oil should not exceed 4 litres.