Ford Focus 1.8 tdci estate - Buying a car - Remapping Question. - mrjudderman

I'm currently looking at buying a second hand car, and I've seen an advert for a car at a seemingly reasonable price for an 08 plate with 100k on the clock. It's been remapped, increasing the power from 115 to 143 BHP, and the seller claims this has minimised the "flat spots" - in a similar model I've driven the turbo lag was significant, very much so at lower revs. The seller is also hinting at improved fuel economy as the purpose of the remapping.

I know very little about this, but some quick searches have suggested that remapping can impact on the rest of the car, especially the clutch. The advert says a new clutch has been fitted - is this cause for concern about the impact of the remapping or something that should be taken as a positive? In general what advice is there in terms of what I should look for in this car, and the benefits and pitfalls of remapping?

Many thanks.

Ford Focus 1.8 tdci estate - Buying a car - Remapping Question. - quizman

You are buying a car with over 100k on the clock. Just look at it and make up your mind, it will not be costing you much can it?

Clutches go at any time when cars get old, do a clutch test.

Good luck!

Ford Focus 1.8 tdci estate - Buying a car - Remapping Question. - RobJP

In general, people who remap don't get much better fuel economy. In fact, some get worse, because they tend to use the power that is there, rather than trundling along. You don't get something for nothing. Extra BHP = extra fuel used.

The downsides of remaps ? The old owner wanted more power (say that in a Clarkson-ish voice), so how do you think they generally drove it ? Like granny coming home from church, or like a rep running late ? That MIGHT translate into more wear and tear on the engine, turbo, gearbox, suspension, etc. Also, generally on 'chipped' cars the chip means that the turbo is running more, so possibly a shortened turbo lifespan there too.

Regarding the clutch ... well, diesels have dual mass flywheels (DMFs) because they have lots of torque at low revs. The DMF acts alongside the clutch to reduce torque shock on the gearbox, otherwise the wear and tear on the gearbox can be quite substantial. But, a 'chipped' car has more BHP, and (usually) more torque, so is likely to go through DMFs and/or clutches quicker. And those aren't cheap.

Also, insurance. If you tell them it's been chipped, then they might just charge you extra. If you don't, and if you have an accident, then they might not cover you, or reduce your cover, due to modifications.

So all in all, is a 'chipped' car worth more ? I wouldn't pay more for one. In fact, it's less attractive at the same price, in my opinion, due to the reasons above.