Citroen C5 Tourer 3.0 HDi Estate - Door hinges not a warranty item? - GT

My car is just over 4 years old with 40k miles. The driver's door is making a bit of a graunching sound when opened, the Citroen dealer says it needs new hinges. These are apparently not covered by warranty (I have Citroen extended warranty) but are considered "bodywork" problems and I've been advised to take it to a bodyshop. Slightly surprised/miffed at this. Am I being unreasonable? OK so it's a wear and tear item, but so are the tailgate struts which need replacing and these ARE covered by the warranty. Confused?

Citroen C5 Tourer 3.0 HDi Estate - Door hinges not a warranty item? - Bolt

sorry dont know the car,but usually that noise is caused by the door strap between the hinges it prevents the door from opening too wide

they often need a bit of lubrication which dries up after some years,you could try wd40 on it to see if it works,if it does put some grease on it to make it quiet,

if it isnt that then it must be hinges but its unusual and sorry if im wrong

Citroen C5 Tourer 3.0 HDi Estate - Door hinges not a warranty item? - elekie&a/c doctor
New door hinges on a 4 year old car? Are they serious? The last door hinges that I replaced,were on a 1979 Cortina.If they are worn out,I would think that Citroen have a real engineering issue here.
Citroen C5 Tourer 3.0 HDi Estate - Door hinges not a warranty item? - Andrew-T

Got to agree. Any car whose hinges are shot after 4 years is pretty unusual. All the PSA hinges I have known (quite a few) last indefinitely, given annual shots of spray grease - and on the check straps as well. They last a great deal longer than the electric connections to the doors.

Citroen C5 Tourer 3.0 HDi Estate - Door hinges not a warranty item? - Bolt

Sorry I meant check strap,they are usually lubed on a service along with the hinges but I suppose it costs for the spray grease so they dont do it, the sound is often mistaken for hinges

but as mentioned have never heard of hinge needing replacing except on very old fords

Citroen C5 Tourer 3.0 HDi Estate - Door hinges not a warranty item? - gordonbennet

Why don't owners feed a bit of oil into the hinge now and again, dealer tech possibly squirting a bit of white grease in the general direction of a hinge at service time is only for show, it doesn't magically find its way in there but will help with the check strap, which has its own hinges that also need a drop of oil.

Thousands of 6/12 month old defleets have rust coming out of the hinges, doesn't take much to work out whats missing.

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/08/2014 at 07:24

Citroen C5 Tourer 3.0 HDi Estate - Door hinges not a warranty item? - Andrew-T

Actually I think 21st-century French cars (Pugs anyway) no longer use check straps as such - there is a more complex integrated kind of sprung hinge. Doesn't alter the argument though.

Citroen C5 Tourer 3.0 HDi Estate - Door hinges not a warranty item? - Cyd

What make are the gas struts? Do they say "Stabilus" on them?

Actually folks, you should consult the owners manual before lubricating hinges. Some have a phosphor bronze bush between the leaves and pin. this type of bush will not respond well to a mixture of grease and dirt - it becomes like a grinding paste and wears out the bush. Simply keeping them clean should be sufficient (though a little WD40 won't hurt as this dries off).