Hyundai i10 2014 - Handbrake holding - bintang

Bought one of these to replace the earlier model. Nice car but the handbrake won't hold enough to stop the car rolling completely on our (estimated) 1 in 10 driveway. I have tried getting the extra notch by pressing the foot brake home with the engine running, while pulling up the handbrake (about six notches in all), but this is still not enough. The car has been back to the supplier who certifies all is normal.

Does this seem normal to posters? I believe six notches are required for MOT but this says nothing about holding power as such. Parking in gear is an immediate answer but involves some fairly smart juggling when re-starting.

Hyundai i10 2014 - Handbrake holding - alan1302

Take it back to the dealer and demand they sort it out - it should certainly be able to hold itself on the handbrake.

Hyundai i10 2014 - Handbrake holding - Doc

Take it back to the dealer and demand they sort it out - it should certainly be able to hold itself on the handbrake.

Take it back!

The handbrake should easily be able to hold the car on a 1 in 4 slope.

Hyundai i10 2014 - Handbrake holding - gordonbennet

Presumably the handbrake applies the same brake shoes (could be pads i suppose) as the footbrake, assuming the design is self adjusting then with more use to bed the shoes/pads in better it will hopefully improve, then adjust the cable up properly.

Some cars are like this, we found life difficult with Pug 206's but especially 405's, getting the handbrake to hold long enough to get a securing strap on the car to stop it rolling off the lorry again after loading was a right palarva, left in gear too.

Hyundai i10 2014 - Handbrake holding - daveyjp
Don't believe the dealer. Take it to an MOT station for a brake test. The i10 is hardly a heavy car and a 1 in 10 slope should be no problem.
Hyundai i10 2014 - Handbrake holding - gordonbennet

Some cars are like this, we found life difficult with Pug 206's but especially 405's, getting the handbrake to hold long enough to get a securing strap on the car to stop it rolling off the lorry again after loading was a right palarva, left in gear too.

Idiot, i didn't finish the post...when we collected these models used after being on rental or company car schemes, we almost never had a problem with poor parking brakes.

Taking measurements, graphing them to scale and applying a protractor, I find the slope of my driveway is 9 degrees.

Is there a way of calculating more acurately from the measurements? (I never passed an exam in maths or geometry.) The drive is 32" high and 243" long. On the level ground immediately adjacent the length is 240". There is thus a clear right-angled triangle but I don't know how to proced from there.

Hyundai i10 2014 - Handbrake holding - RobJP

Taking measurements, graphing them to scale and applying a protractor, I find the slope of my driveway is 9 degrees.

Is there a way of calculating more acurately from the measurements? (I never passed an exam in maths or geometry.) The drive is 32" high and 243" long. On the level ground immediately adjacent the length is 240". There is thus a clear right-angled triangle but I don't know how to proced from there.

Doesn't matter what the exact angle is. Inform them that you do not feel the car is 'fit for purpose' as is, and that you insist on them making it fit for purpose. Do so by writing (registered post), and require their reply by the same method. If no joy, then escalate the matter to Hyundai GB.

Hyundai i10 2014 - Handbrake holding - Bolt

I dont know of many cars where the handbrake is adjusted properly anyway,when I worked at main dealer as long as it held on level ground below 6 clicks it passed PDI

(I always adjusted cable up on new cars anyway) they always needed it

I make this a gradient of 1 in 7.5

The handbrake should easily hold on this slope.

I wondered if there was any way to convert this to degrees but 1 in 7.5 should be enough for the dealer.

Hyundai i10 2014 - Handbrake holding - RobJP

If you go to a website such as this :

www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/calrtri.htm

and enter in the definite measurements (243 hypoteneuse and 32 vertical) it gives you all the other dimension (it says 241) and the angles too.

According to that, the ANGLE is 7.57 degrees, that is NOT the same as a 1 in 7.5 hill !

Whatever,its not working as it should will do!

If you go to a website such as this :

www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/calrtri.htm

and enter in the definite measurements (243 hypoteneuse and 32 vertical) it gives you all the other dimension (it says 241) and the angles too.

According to that, the ANGLE is 7.57 degrees, that is NOT the same as a 1 in 7.5 hill !

An angle of 7.13 degrees equates to 1 in 8 so I reckon my 1 in 7.5 is close!

Using the OP figures: 32/ 240 = 1 in 7.5

All noted ith thanks. The dealer has agreed to a test drive with a "technician". I will report back.

Whats the point of a test drive on a car that the handbrake wont hold standing still,they need adjusting

Hyundai i10 2014 - Handbrake holding - Avant

Hopefully the test drive will include stopping on a steep hill.

It emerged that an extra notch could be obtained by pressing down fully on the footbrake with the engine running, while pulling up the handbrake. I expect someone will tell me that "everyone knows that" but the fact is that, in 62 years of driving and around 100 cars (owning 39 of them), I had never needed to do this.

It emerged that an extra notch could be obtained by pressing down fully on the footbrake with the engine running, while pulling up the handbrake. I expect someone will tell me that "everyone knows that" but the fact is that, in 62 years of driving and around 100 cars (owning 39 of them), I had never needed to do this.

Anything to get out of doing a small job,like adjusting it properly :-(

It emerged that an extra notch could be obtained by pressing down fully on the footbrake with the engine running, while pulling up the handbrake.

How does this square with the handbrake emergency function?

This brake must be independent of the footbrake.

Hyundai i10 2014 - Handbrake holding - bathtub tom

My Nissan does that, helps the missus no end when parking on steeper slopes.

It is independant of the footbrake, it's just that using the footbrake firmly applies more pressure than the handbrake alone. Servo I suspect, that and the fact force is being applied from two sources.

I`ve seen a few reports of problematic handbrakes on this car, maybe time to get in contact with Hyundai to find out whats wrong,unless they are not being adjusted properly from the factory or not being PDI`d properly???

Hyundai i10 2014 - Handbrake holding - Simon

But in your very first post you said that you have already tried using the footbrake with the engine running to gain maximum handbrake pressure???

If the handbrake on your car really is struggling to hold it steady on your drive I can see an ensuing disaster!

In the interim period I would be tempted to stick a chock or wooden block behind one of the wheels just in case...

>>I`ve seen a few reports of problematic handbrakes on this car

Where did you see them, magnit?

>>I`ve seen a few reports of problematic handbrakes on this car

Where did you see them, magnit?

On the Hyundai i10 forums.seems to be a lot of people with the same problem

Hyundai i10 2014 - Handbrake holding - Auristocrat

'On the Hyundai i10 forums.seems to be a lot of people with the same problem'

I use three Hyundai forums and any handbrake issues on theose forums relate to the previous model.

'On the Hyundai i10 forums.seems to be a lot of people with the same problem'

I use three Hyundai forums and any handbrake issues on theose forums relate to the previous model.

It doesnt mean yours wont suffer the same problem,also its mentioned in the manual that the handbrake has to be operated in this manner, though in my opinion its not right and should be sorted!

I should have added "but this should not be necessary".

Only got to the dealer yesterday, by which time the sixth click was getting a little easier to obtain. I complained anyway and the technician finally agreed to test the handbrake at an MOT station for rolling resistance, which should have been done at the start (and was something I had planned to do independently). It passed and I was given a copy of the readout. He said the position should improve with further bedding in so I should drive another 500 miles, then come back if there was still a problem.

I said, truthfully, that I had but never expreinced this with any other of the 15 or so new cars I had bought. This did not impress and of course the certificate was a powerfull argument on his side.

....... the technician finally agreed to test the handbrake at an MOT station for rolling resistance, ............ It passed and I was given a copy of the readout.

The touble is that the handbrake on a dual circuit system only needs an efficiency of 16% to pass the MOT.

This is retardation, but does not test holding power on a hill.

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_3100.htm

Just noticed Note 2 !

Edited by Doc on 10/08/2014 at 18:20

Hyundai i10 2014 - Handbrake holding - Cyd

Whilst it would seem you have a solution, I'm not sure it's an entirely satisfactory one. As valuable as the MoT test is, it only tests for the legal minimum requirement. Fact is, your car still struggles to hold on your drive. You should ask the Dealer Principle to come to your house and see the problem for himself. Ask him to drive the car onto the drive and park it and see how he gets on.

The lesson, though, would appear to be to include a trip home to test parking on your drive next time you are buying a car.

Might be wise to invest a fiver in a pair of chocks:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181161604707?_trksid=p2055119.m...T

Good tips, thanks.