2004 Citroen C5 estate - Rear Wiper Only works in Reverse Gear - kinghymie

I have a 2004 Citroen C5 estate which I’ve found reliable and economical. Only problem: the rear window wiper only works when I’m in reverse gear. I cannot see anything through rear window when driving dwon the motorway in heavy rain.

My garage says I have to replace the switch unit on the steering column at a parts price of over £300, plus labour. If the wiper will work in reverse gear

Ssurely there is a simpler way of fixing it to work in forward gears?

2004 Citroen C5 estate - Rear Wiper Only works in Reverse Gear - Andrew-T

Surely there is a simpler way of fixing it to work in forward gears?

Perhaps not. My Pug's rear wiper is activated when I engage reverse, if the main wipers are on. So your fault may be in the stalk-switch which you would normally use when driving. Presumably the rear washer won't work either?

Agree that the parts price is OTT though. You may be able to get it cheaper and DiY ?

2004 Citroen C5 estate - Rear Wiper Only works in Reverse Gear - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

If the fault is definitely localised to the steering column switch unit, and the unit will have to come off, then the best thing would be to take the unit off and have a look at it. The fault might be evident and repairable.

2004 Citroen C5 estate - Rear Wiper Only works in Reverse Gear - Gibbo_Wirral

Do an Ebay search for "COMM2000 repair". There's a chap based in Bradford who repairs them very cheaply (around £25). He's also a Peugeot owner and regular on the forums.