Volvo S40 - Volvo S40 - scot22

I have received lots of good advice on this site about car buying. I would welcome information from anyone with experience/knowledge of this particular model.
It is a Volvo S40 2 litre petrol LUX 2008 60,000 miles on the clock priced at £6,480. I saw that VED is high. What I am concerned about is if at this age and mileage there a possibly/probably some large bills likely. I do like the Volvo make for comfort in particular.
Thanks

Volvo S40 - Volvo S40 - YG2007

Check for a good service history (10000 miles per year suggests regular use). Provided they are looked after these cars will do huge mileages and are pretty durable. At 60000 miles you will start to get some none service item replacement items but you will with any vehicle. Check everything works, the bodywork the tyres how it drives. Gear change (Gear linkage can sometimes stiffen up on these ) but a relatively easy fix

Thank you - that's very helpful. I'll contact a Volvo garage and enquire about non service items. Obviously look elsewhere to get them done, if its possible !

Just general information for anyone interested. Independent Volve quote £146.46 inc. VAT and no additional items this service - obviously will come later !!!!

Volvo S40 - Volvo S40 - HandCart

6 years old and 60k miles on the clock is about what I'd be considering as a 'new' car for myself !! -It's just nicely bedded-in!

If it has been serviced regularly and properly, there really didn't ought to be any potential big bills on the horizon, apart from if it is coming-up for a scheduled cambelt replacement.

Volvo S40 - Volvo S40 - Dingle232

I have received lots of good advice on this site about car buying. I would welcome information from anyone with experience/knowledge of this particular model.
It is a Volvo S40 2 litre petrol LUX 2008 60,000 miles on the clock priced at £6,480. I saw that VED is high. What I am concerned about is if at this age and mileage there a possibly/probably some large bills likely. I do like the Volvo make for comfort in particular.
Thanks

I had a 2008 diesel manual and loved it. The clutch was going on mine and with it the DMF and I was quoted a bill upwards of £1200 to fix it from a reputable indy. Otherwise a great car.

Thanks, that's very helpfu. At what mileage was the clutch going please ? looking for potential bills and when they may occur.

Volvo S40 - Volvo S40 - iFocus

Its unlikely that the clutch will go on a petrol version, unless its abused. Diesels can go at any point.

Things to consider would be your mileage, I assume with looking at a 2ltr Petrol you don't do many. Expect low 30s MPG.

Apart from the usual servicing it should be a good car, my brother has a 2005 1.6 petrol S40, and he's has no issues with it other than a leaking pipe on his power steering fixed under warranty by Volvo but that was a number of years ago now though!

Volvo S40 - Volvo S40 - Ordovices

Its unlikely that the clutch will go on a petrol version, unless its abused. Diesels can go at any point.

Where on earth did this gem come from?

Volvo S40 - Volvo S40 - Dingle232

Thanks, that's very helpfu. At what mileage was the clutch going please ? looking for potential bills and when they may occur.

If I recall correctly the car had done around 53k. Bear in mind that this one may have had some rough treatment before I bought it (I look after my cars and don't drive them hard) so take that FWIW. There are (many) appriasals of S40's going for very long distances on original bits - I just wouldn't want you not to check it out before you buy. If the bite point is where it should be and there's no sign of it slipping then it's likely to be fine.

Like I say I loved mine and now have another Volvo - quality cars.

Let us know how you get on and what you decide.

Extremely grateful for so many very helpful replies. I'm going for a test drive on Monday. I hope to post on the night. Don't know where the underlining has come from !!!!

Just returned from test drive. Clutch pedal did rise higher than expected. I didn't get 'the feeling' for the car. Also dealer only offers one month warranty ( I know that is not correct but wouldn't want hassle if/when there are problems ) The posts have saved me money and hassle - very much appreciated.

Carry on looking !