BMW 320D M Sport Convertible - BMW Cracked Rims - Yorky Bob

Looks like I have been caught by the fact BMW 19" low profile rims are not fit for purpose as at 15,000 miles the dealer now tells me they will not pass a MOT. Cannot believe how many posts there are on the net about BMW rims. So rather than throw good money after bad I am thinking of down sizeing and/or moving off run-flats. So what size and whoose rims and tyres to fit?

Edited by Yorky Bob on 08/07/2014 at 23:46

BMW 320D M Sport Convertible - BMW Cracked Rims - RobJP

Firstly, book and go to an MOT testing station (council run ones, usually), and see if they fail the MOT on the rims. Hairline cracks (which is what these threads usually involve) I'd be surprised if they were an MOT failure, as they aren't really detectable by an MOT station. If the wheels have got huge chunks out of them, then it's a different matter, of course.

As to what size you can go down to, the answer is ... it depends. The 'new' F30/F31 3 series, IF it's got the M-sport brake pack, must be 18" rims minimum to clear the brake discs and calipers. If it doesn't have the brake pack, then I believe virtually anything from 16" upwards. Yours must be the old E90 based model (or else it would be a 420d convertible), no idea what brake pack options were on those, or what yours could be fitted with.

Obviously, 16" will give a lot more comfortable ride than 18", or even 17". But then again, I assume you bought the M sport version of the car because it looks sporty. 16" wheels will totally change the look of the car, so you might want to think about that a bit.

As to the make of wheels - well, if you fit a non-BMW wheel, then you'll need to inform your insurance company. Lots of BMW genuine wheels on the Bay, or at any scrapyard, though. If you can get those, then you are far less likely to see an increase in insurance premium.

Finally, I'm assuming it's on runflats. Some people like runflats, some people don't. HJ himself reckons they are a lifesaver, especially if you get a puncture on the motorway. With normal tyres, you (or the AA patrolman) is changing a wheel with all that traffic. With runflats, you can get off the motorway (usually). You decide.

BMW 320D M Sport Convertible - BMW Cracked Rims - skidpan

Whatever you decide to do if its a change from the original size fitted by BMW then you must inform your insurers. Same applies to changing form run-flats. In my experience the insurers are happy on 2 conditions, the wheel you use is approved by BMW for use on another model in the range and that you do not mix runflats and non-runflats.

Before I sold my 1 series I planned to fit 16" non run flats instead of the 17" run flats. I already ran 16" wheels in winter and the car was so much nicer plus the tyres were 1/2 the price (or less). Already had spare set of 16" wheels ready. Insurance wanted no extra cash.

By way of an update - I have negotiated new rear Alloy Wheels at no cost so have some breathing space. It should never have got to this as a long standing customer with such a low mileage car still under warranty.

BMW 320D M Sport Convertible - BMW Cracked Rims - gordonbennet

Might be an idea to keep those new rims aside, put on something fit for purpose for the time you own the car and refit the new 19's when you come to sell, might be in the same boat in another 15k miles.

I've seen 20" wheels on Diesel Insignias for goodness sake, its all getting a bit silly now, may as well spray some black paint on the beads and run on them.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/07/2014 at 05:27

Might be an idea to keep those new rims aside, put on something fit for purpose for the time you own the car and refit the new 19's when you come to sell, might be in the same boat in another 15k miles.

I've seen 20" wheels on Diesel Insignias for goodness sake, its all getting a bit silly now, may as well spray some black paint on the beads and run on them.

Binned the car within 2 weeks and now have a very relaible SLK !

BMW 320D M Sport Convertible - BMW Cracked Rims - slkfanboy

It has to be said that any car with wide and low profile tyres is at risk of cracking and I have heard of worse cases, like all the tyres go flat due to worping.

Take one looks at how the rim is supported i.e. only at one end and it can be seen that the wide a rim is, the more strain it takes on bumpy roads.