FORD FOCUS GHIA 1.8 V REG - MOT FAILURE ON PARKING BRAKE ADVICE NEEDED PLS - mbmb11

My car has just failed its MOT on Parking Brake: efficiency below requirements, and recording little or no effort.

When i asked what could cause this i was told the carwould need to be inspected at a cost of 30 quid, and could be due to a variety of causes but wouldnt specify a) what, b) minimum and maximum costs involved and c) could it simply be that the handbrake needs tightening?. He was quite unhelpful in all honesty

Can anyone with a bit of know how advise on these please? causes and costs??

I was thinking of taking it inot quik fit for their free break check so that i could at least get the fault diagnosed for free :p

thanks in advance

FORD FOCUS GHIA 1.8 V REG - MOT FAILURE ON PARKING BRAKE ADVICE NEEDED PLS - Wackyracer

It could be a seized mechanism, Faulty calipers (if rear disks) or simple stretched cables.

Unless your going to try and do the work yourself, I'd suggest to take it to another garage.

FORD FOCUS GHIA 1.8 V REG - MOT FAILURE ON PARKING BRAKE ADVICE NEEDED PLS - gordonbennet

He sounds about as helpful as anyone could be, unless he's got Supermans X ray vision he wouldn't have a clue what would need doing until he stripped the thing out and inspected it.

OK then to figures, if it needs adjusting that £30 should cover it, but it could need reline only or additionally new discs/drums, it might also need calipers/slaves cyls and a full brake bleed, which might entail new brake pipes if they sheer off when trying to undo the connections, it might have seized handbrake cables, so anything from £80 to £400 worse case depending on whats wrong.

Best of luck at Kwik Fit though.

FORD FOCUS GHIA 1.8 V REG - MOT FAILURE ON PARKING BRAKE ADVICE NEEDED PLS - elekie&a/c doctor

"free brake check"?.They are only going to tell you what you already know,the handbrake is not working.Plus if you go to KF ,there will be add-ons like ,shockers need replacing,the tyres are getting low,and of course the wiper blades need renewing.As above or find a garage with a superhuman crystal ball.

FORD FOCUS GHIA 1.8 V REG - MOT FAILURE ON PARKING BRAKE ADVICE NEEDED PLS - Wackyracer

The handbrake efficiency must be poor to fail an MOT as the required standard for MOT is pretty poor in reality.

FORD FOCUS GHIA 1.8 V REG - MOT FAILURE ON PARKING BRAKE ADVICE NEEDED PLS - galileo

The handbrake efficiency must be poor to fail an MOT as the required standard for MOT is pretty poor in reality.

If it is that bad, has the OP used the handbrake recently/regularly? I know many people sit at red traffic lights holding the car on the footbrake, some do the same for hill starts. Lack of use could lead to cables/calipers seizing.

FORD FOCUS GHIA 1.8 V REG - MOT FAILURE ON PARKING BRAKE ADVICE NEEDED PLS - RobJP

One thing for the OP to bear in mind.

If a failure was issued, then the car has no valid MOT. Therefore, using it on the public highway is a criminal offence, and their insurance will not be valid if they have an accident.

FORD FOCUS GHIA 1.8 V REG - MOT FAILURE ON PARKING BRAKE ADVICE NEEDED PLS - bathtub tom

If a failure was issued, then the car has no valid MOT. Therefore, using it on the public highway is a criminal offence, and their insurance will not be valid if they have an accident.

I understand that if the current MOT hasn't expired and the testing station hasn't declared the vehicle dangerous, then it's perfectly OK to use it until it's repaired, or the current MOT expires?

FORD FOCUS GHIA 1.8 V REG - MOT FAILURE ON PARKING BRAKE ADVICE NEEDED PLS - RobJP

I understand that if the current MOT hasn't expired and the testing station hasn't declared the vehicle dangerous, then it's perfectly OK to use it until it's repaired, or the current MOT expires?

A correction : just checked the DVLA, here :

www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

This states that the old MOT is still valid, even though the failure is recorded on the database, however it also does state that if your vehicle is unroadworthy and you are stopped, then prosecution is a possibility.

Personally, if a car fails on a roadworthiness issue (and a non-functioning handbrake, to me, makes a car unroadworthy), then I'd be very dubious about using it until fixed. If an accident occurred, or if the car rolled away on a hill, then your insurance would be able to see that you knew the car was faulty, and continued to used it anyway. Insurance policies contain a clause about 'maintaining your vehicle in a roadworthy condition' ... a perfect get-out clause in a case like this, so your insurance might not be valid !

FORD FOCUS GHIA 1.8 V REG - MOT FAILURE ON PARKING BRAKE ADVICE NEEDED PLS - Simon

Most likely the braking system on the rear of the car needs a good overhaul. Particularly if it is on drums.

Dare I ask when the last time the braking system was serviced on this car? Or is that a never???

FORD FOCUS GHIA 1.8 V REG - MOT FAILURE ON PARKING BRAKE ADVICE NEEDED PLS - mbmb11
I bought the car in November and when the last owner got it mot,d it had failed on the same thing and then an mot was issued after a retest. I only use the handbrake when I've parked never use it instead of using clutch control lol. Sorry if I appear unknowledgable, I am hence the question !!!
Sorry just to add as well I won't be accepting anything else KF say I need but if they check the brakes surely they will have to diagnose what's wrong before they can tell me what needs doing ? Also I was told that as long as I pre book the appointment for repairs to rectify the mot I am allowed to drive there. It also says this on the gov .uk website

Edited by mbmb11 on 09/07/2014 at 00:32

FORD FOCUS GHIA 1.8 V REG - MOT FAILURE ON PARKING BRAKE ADVICE NEEDED PLS - The-Mechanic

If you won't accept what KF say, then why bother going there in the first place ?

They'll probably strip the brakes down, tell you that everything needs replacing and they won't be able to rebuild it back up as this, that or the other is broken / dangerous and you'll have to have it fixed there and then.

A free brake check is just an excuse to get your car on the ramp. Once it's there, you're at their mercy so be warned, there ain't no thing as a free 'lunch'

FORD FOCUS GHIA 1.8 V REG - MOT FAILURE ON PARKING BRAKE ADVICE NEEDED PLS - The-Mechanic

Sounds like the handbrake was bodged up last year to get through the test. Best get it looked at and repaired properly as it's obviously not fixed it.

Don't bother with KF of other fast fit centres as in my experience they tend to put profits and bonus before all else and you may end up paying dearly.

Best find a trusted independent garage to check it over but as has been said by previous replies, it could cost anything from £30 upwards dependant on what's wrong. Don't be tempted to scrimp on the repairs. If it needs new parts, use new parts. It has failed again with in a year so if you try a bodge job, who knows what it end up costing...........

FORD FOCUS GHIA 1.8 V REG - MOT FAILURE ON PARKING BRAKE ADVICE NEEDED PLS - Simon

Also bear in mind that it is virtually impossible for someone to give you an accurate estimate of costs without having to take it apart first - which they will charge for anyway. People like Kwik-Fit doing a free brake check will either put it on the ramp, casually look at it and give you a price based on replacing the lot or they will strip it down, then tell you it needs the works doing to it and at that point you are stuck on the end of their hook and they will have your pants down. Nothing in life is ever really free.

Thanks all. I don't want to scrimp, was just trying to save if at all possible. Didn't realise or know that once everything was disassembled it couldn't just all be put back . But I appreciate all your help and advice thank you.
I think I will give KF a miss and try and find a reliable. / honest garage :)
FORD FOCUS GHIA 1.8 V REG - MOT FAILURE ON PARKING BRAKE ADVICE NEEDED PLS - YG2007

MOT test is an inspection. They are not allowed to dismantle components. I am assuming this vehicle has drum brakes on the rear. At our station we would state the MOT failure with a cost "subject to strip". It could be adjusters, cable ,worn shoes. At our garage at a guess you would be looking around £100 mark for the repair. THe problem with stating numbers is that a guestimate to some customers becomes a LEGAL QUOTE./CONTRACT. We would adivse a customer who is concenred about the cost to approve an hours expenditure which muight be enough to affect a repair by adjustment and then state Customer will be contacted to be given a quote for the remainder of the work once the scope is known. It relies on customers, having a contact pohone with them so you dont get the thing in bits on a ramp and find the customer is uncontactable to authorise a set of new shoes etc. If you go to one of the mentioned fast fit places please ensure you have a belt and braces fitted to your trousers