Do I need to legally disclose an engine rebuild - roxy1983
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I am legally required to disclose an engine rebuild that was carried out under warranty if selling my car to a garage? The car has since had a couple of services and has had no problems since, it's not been in an accident and is only 2years old.
Do I need to legally disclose an engine rebuild - Happy Blue!

No. You only reveal what you are asked about. In any event, at 2yo the car has some warranty left, surely?

Do I need to legally disclose an engine rebuild - roxy1983

No. You only reveal what you are asked about. In any event, at 2yo the car has some warranty left, surely?

It has a third year dealership warranty. I only ask as I went to part exchange it and was really honest about the rebuild and the garage told me it was not worth as much and that I'd be better selling it privately. He also said that I would have to disclose that info to any garage I went to and if I didn't I could be done for fraud because they would make me sign something to say its roadworthy etc. I don't know whether he was telling the truth or just trying to get my car cheap?
Do I need to legally disclose an engine rebuild - RT

I've never heard anything so daft - my car's engine is currently being rebuilt under warranty because of head gasket failure, these things happen.

You, and I, can't lie if asked at trade-in time if it's had any major work - but there's no duty of disclosure - just as there's no duty of disclosure for minor accident damage which is repaired properly.

Do I need to legally disclose an engine rebuild - martint123

Do you really think that the dealer you were speaking to would tell you that an engine had been rebuilt if you was looking to purchase ??

Do I need to legally disclose an engine rebuild - RobJP

Do you really think that the dealer you were speaking to would tell you that an engine had been rebuilt if you was looking to purchase ??

They might not, but under the new consumer protection regulations, they do actually have to tell you - whether asked or not.

Do I need to legally disclose an engine rebuild - Manatee

They might not, but under the new consumer protection regulations, they do actually have to tell you - whether asked or not.

For accident damage yes, acording to HJ:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/44996/can-a-deal...t-

Isn't it moot for previous mechanical repairs? Or are there later regulations on this?

In any case I don't think an individual should worry about seling a basically defect free car to a dealer - dealers are generally presumed to know what they are doing. I wouldn't lie if asked a direct question, but some vague warranty from the customer in a sales contract that the vehicle is free from defects probably wouldn't stick against a customer trading in a vehicle.

I think you actually have more responsibility for describing a car accurately to a private buyer, or at least that a court would see it that way. Even then, that really means regarding defects - a previous engine repair wouldn't come under that obligation.

Motor dealers always say the biggest rogues are the public, but I think they can look after themselves!

Do I need to legally disclose an engine rebuild - Andrew-T

In theory, of course, if the engine has been professionally rebuilt, warranted and proved to be OK, there should be no reason not to reveal that fact. And on that basis any seller ready to reveal it should be trusted, for the very reason that if the job wasn't OK, he wouldn't be revealing it, would he?

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work like that, so most sellers keep schtumm.