Vauxhall Insignia 2.0D 160 or Hyundai I40 1.7D 136 - daveyK_UK

Hi,

quick thoughts please for a friend unable to choose between a new -

Vauxhall Insignia (face lift) 2.0 ctdi 160 manual

and

Hyundai i40 1.7 crdi 136 auto

They are the only 2 cars on his company car list.

Is the 2.0 diesel in the Insignia ok? has the insignia clutch/DMF problem been solved?

I have heard from 2 taxi drivers the i40 is not as reliable as the other vehicles Hyundai sell, is this true? Will it spend a fair bit of time in the repair bay?

He always buys his cars from the lease company for his wife, so he wants to make the right long term choice.

She has just inherited his 3 year old Mondeo 2.2 diesel which has been trouble free. Sadly, the mondeo is no longer on his list (not really a list only having 2 cars!)

Vauxhall Insignia 2.0D 160 or Hyundai I40 1.7D 136 - RT

Has any car had the DMF problem solved? Excluding automatics, all modern diesels have far more torque than modern drivers can cope with sympathetically.

Comparing a 160 PS manual against a 136 PS automatic will mean a loss of performance.

Vauxhall Insignia 2.0D 160 or Hyundai I40 1.7D 136 - dan86

Doesn't the Hyuinda come with a 5 year unlimited milage warranty? If so after the three year period you would still have two years left on it.

Do Vauxhal still offer the 100000 mile lifetime warranty?

Vauxhall Insignia 2.0D 160 or Hyundai I40 1.7D 136 - Dabooka

Doesn't the Hyuinda come with a 5 year unlimited milage warranty? If so after the three year period you would still have two years left on it.

If these are company cars, does he even need to care about DMF / DPF issues or warranty periods?

I'd say go take a test drive form a delaership and decide that way.

The balance of the Hyundai's 5-year unlimited mileage warranty would be tranferable to the new owner, the wife when the lease ends - the Vauxhall lifetime warranty isn't transferable and the ordinary warranty is only 3 years.

Vauxhall Insignia 2.0D 160 or Hyundai I40 1.7D 136 - Bycro
At the beginning of March this year I took delivery of a new Hyundai i40 1.7 D to replace my Seat Exeo. So far, so good. It has already covered 8000 trouble free miles. Mainly motorway.

It is very spacious and has all the creature comforts most require. it is very quiet and refined and goes very well if you boot it. Returns around 55 MPG on longer runs and about 42 MPG around town.

I have colleagues who have the same car with higher miles and older than mine who have not reported any problems.

The one I have is a 136 PS , but not automatic.

Edited by Bycro on 24/06/2014 at 21:33

Vauxhall Insignia 2.0D 160 or Hyundai I40 1.7D 136 - oldtoffee

I'd go for the Hyundai but I'm biased as I have a Santa Fe and an i10 in the family. The 5 year warranty is good but isn't not all singing all dancing and excludes some items that only go to 60,000 miles such as clutch disc, wheel bearings, ball joints. shock absorbers, bushes and all rubber components. Saying that I've had a new rear shock, 4 new alloys and all new rear discs, pads and handbrake replaced under warranty from new to 3 years and 50k miles without any problem. Compare that to my experiences with VW, Fiat, Ford and surprisingly perhaps Subaru and I'm a fan of Hyundai cars and after sales.

Vauxhall Insignia 2.0D 160 or Hyundai I40 1.7D 136 - artill

Sounds to me as if you are actually saying, dont buy a Hyundai out of warranty. Thats a lot of failures.

Sounds to me as if you are actually saying, dont buy a Hyundai out of warranty. Thats a lot of failures.

No worse than other mainstream brands - but "out of warranty" only occurs at old age, ie over 5 years old.

Vauxhall Insignia 2.0D 160 or Hyundai I40 1.7D 136 - dan86

I wouldn't consider 5 years old for a car.

Vauxhall Insignia 2.0D 160 or Hyundai I40 1.7D 136 - daveyK_UK

He test drove a manual i40 1.7d 136 on Monday, thought it was OK but the boot opening is really small.

After phoning round a few Vauxhall dealers, he found a 2.0 160 diesel to try and found it to be a more flexible, powerful and enjoyable drive than the Hyundai.

He commented both cars where cramped inside considering they where big cars.

He is going with the Insignia although will ask his fleet manager one more time if he can make an exception and get him another Mondeo.

I know 4 people who have had or currently have the 2.2 diesel Mondeo, and they all rave about it.

Vauxhall Insignia 2.0D 160 or Hyundai I40 1.7D 136 - oldtoffee

>>> Sounds to me as if you are actually saying, dont buy a Hyundai out of warranty. Thats a lot of failures.

Not really "failures" the shock was a bit squeaky on the worst speed bumps so they just replaced it. The alloys were ever so slightly bubbling from the rear of the wheel hubs, only noticeable with a keen eye close up, all 4 replaced not refurbished. The footbrake/handbrake was slightly grabbing intermittently, they found the shoes were faulty (known problem) and replaced discs/pads/shoes.

I'm keeping the car beyond 5 years so I'll be interested to see how Hyundai look after customers out of warranty with goodwill gestures if I need any. Parts are very expensive but they are for most cars. I'm not sure I'd buy any modern 5 year old diesel even with a full dealer service history. I'd buy an older petrol Japanese (maybe Korean) car for one third of the value and reduce the risk of a big bill.