Honda Accord Tourer - Honda Accord Tourer Diesel. Pre V Post 2008? - Wulbert

I keen on buying an Accord Diesel Estate. Budget of abour £4.5k to £5.5k.

I can get a 2007 model with about 90+k miles or a 2008/9 facelift model with 150k miles.

Which would be the more reliable? I'm particularly keen to hear from folk who have owned both models.

I have a very low income, so I'm looking at the diesel for economy. However if an £800 fault develops I may wish I'd bought a petrol engine. I'm wary of the complexity of modern diesels.

Is the CTDI engine better that the IDTEC for running costs?

Honda Accord Tourer - Honda Accord Tourer Diesel. Pre V Post 2008? - Happy Blue!

We need lots more information about your circumstances: --

How many miles a year will you be driving?

What sort of driving (split into motorway, A-road, suburban, urban)?

Do you really need an estate? Would a large hatchback do instead (a much wider selection of vehicles to choose from)?

Being blunt (but hopefully helpful.......) If you are on a very low income, why are you spending £4,500 on a car?

Answer these and you will get lots of good advice.

Honda Accord Tourer - Honda Accord Tourer Diesel. Pre V Post 2008? - gordonbennet

150k miles, thats a big gamble unless its been serviced par excellence, it might cover the next 50k without a murmer, but once it reaches 200k it's a banger.

Hondas are excellent cars, of that there is no doubt, and on a low income not a bad bet...IF you can service and miantain it yourself or have a very tame and competent mechanic on tap, if it need genuine parts and worse still the mian dealer to fit them, then you could have a serious bill.

Obviously i would be going for the lower mileage car, if its ok with good history etc, but if on a low income i'd be on bangernomics and buy cars with a full MOT for less than £1000.

Thanks for the replies & sorry for the delay in replying.

More info:

1) I drive about 16k miles/yr

2) Mostly urban and A road

3) I need an estate because I have a dog and I'll be using the car for my small business to transport timber and materials and tow a trailer. Also two big teenage kids and lots of camping holidays.

4) I have plently of capital (savings), but a very low income. I'm 50 years old, my "banger" days are over, I've got the T-shirt for that.

5) I know there are other cars out there but I am particularly interested in the Accord Tourer. Good seats, good reliability and ergonomics are important to me. Currently own a Honda Jazz which is a beautifully engineered (but terminally boring) and cheap to run car, also several Honda mototcycles owned which have all been excellent (and theri lawnmowers are good too!)

Honda Accord Tourer - Honda Accord Tourer Diesel. Pre V Post 2008? - RobJP

Terminally boring is good. Alfa Romeo drivers can keep the excitement of playing russian roulette every time they turn the key.

If I was choosing between those 2, I'd go for the older one with 90k on the clock. As Gordon said, 150k is a bit of a gamble, even with impeccable service history.

Honda Accord Tourer - Honda Accord Tourer Diesel. Pre V Post 2008? - Avant

For your budget you could get a petrol Accord estate that's newer and has fewer miles than these.

There have been posts on here in the past about major problems with Honda diesesl, although not as frequent as those afflicting Mazdas. But I can't remember when I last saw a tale of woe about a Honda petrol.

Honda Accord Tourer - Honda Accord Tourer Diesel. Pre V Post 2008? - coopshere
I note you say you will want to carry people in the rear seats on holiday. If you haven't already done so then I recommend you check out the room and getting in and out of the rear seats. I had an Accord saloon but wanted an estate/hatchback, the Accord Estate was my first choice as I really enjoyed the saloon, however I found the rear leg room was so poor I struggled to get in, it's far less roomy than the saloon. Had to choose an estate from another manufacturer instead.
Honda Accord Tourer - Honda Accord Tourer Diesel. Pre V Post 2008? - mike hannon

The latest generation Accord diesel versions have a surprisingly low towing weight limit, particularly in auto form. I own one but it's irrelevant to me - my towbar is kept on to protect the highly vulnerable rear bodywork!

I'd go for petrol if I were you.

Thank you for the useful advice. Indeed, I opted for a petrol Jazz for exactly the same reasons; there were plenty of small deisel hatchbacks with astonishing mileage claims but I reckoned petrol was a better bet for overall running costs at the lower budget end of the market.

I suppose that's not changed. However having sampled life at 45mpg I am reluctant to go backwards to 30 odd mpg.

I do like the idea of a newer/lower mileage petrol model though. RE: legroom, I've read elsewhere that the 2007 model had better rear legroom than the 2008 onwards. Surely they are both heaps better than the Jazz?

How did you find the drivers seat for comfort?

Honda Accord Tourer - Honda Accord Tourer Diesel. Pre V Post 2008? - coopshere
Mine was the 2.4 Ex Auto saloon, it was extremely comfortable in all seats with all the extras I wanted. Fuel consumption was 32 to 34 mpg no matter how I drove it. The only reason I sold it was that the transmission was getting a little noisy and I didn't fancy a bill that may have been at best the same value as the car. On driving the newer (latest model) estate it wasn't just the rear seat legroom that was the problem, the wife didn't find the front passenger seat very comfortable either. Drivers seat was fine though. i really enjoyed the Accord but I currently have a Toyota Avensis estate and to be honest I find it a better vehicle all round.
Honda Accord Tourer - Honda Accord Tourer Diesel. Pre V Post 2008? - SteveLee

I drove a 2.4 Accord for about 6 months, the ride at motorway speeds was good (a bit knobbly low down) the seats were excellent. Get the brake fluid completely flushed on any Accord - and then change it every two years - they suffer from internal corrision of the ABS unit if you don't do this. £££££s

OK. Having considered the options, now planning to buy a 2007, 2.0 litre petrol estate, with around 70-90k on the clock.

Reasons: better seats than 2008 model, lower servicing costs than diesel, much cheaper than 2008 model (it would take 9 years for the better mpg of the newer model to make any savings), easier DIY than diesel, plenty of toys for the money.

Downsides: not as sw***y as the 2008 model, pretty poor mpg.

Thanks for the help