Long term car choice - Dingle232
I posted a thread recently as I was originallylooking to buy a 3 year old E Class Mercedes and the commentary on them was generally positive.

Having looked at a couple I concluded that they were perhaps a bit big for me so I am looking at the C220 CDi. In doing so I have looked at other options for long term ownership (5 years plus) and have narrowed it down to either a 12 plate C220 CDi SE with about 12k on the clock for circa £17k, or a 13 plate Volvo V40 D3 with around 14k miles for just short of £19k,

I would be equally as comfortable with hatch or saloon and the relative differing sizes but rather am looking at their potential reliability over the term I am likely to own them (just to be clear I'm not asking for a prediction of it just rather generically speaking!)

All things considered do I pay 2k less for an 'older' Merc or splash the extra on the Volvo? They both drive very well despite differing dynamics, I just need to find a tie breaker to help me.

Any sage like advice?

Edited by Dingle232 on 07/06/2014 at 21:14

Long term car choice - Avant

Out of these two, you're getting a lot more car for your money with the Mercedes - although the V40 looks overpriced. If you like the Volvo but want the space, you could look at a V60.

Do you need a diesel? If you don't do a high mileage have a look at some petreol versions of these cars.

I thought I remembered from a previous post of yours that you change cars more often than every 5 years: apologies if I've confused you with someone else.

Edited by Avant on 08/06/2014 at 00:19

Thanks Avant and no, you have got e right - this is my attempt to get a car I am 100£ happy with ank make it a keeper. The Mrs says I have to :-)
Long term car choice - gordonbennet

We'll assume the MB is an auto, a manual MB is a miserable wretch of a thing, and after suffering the hell of one you won't be able to give it away in due course.

We'll also assume the Volvo is a manual, i wouldn't risk a geartronic or whatever its called as a long termer.

MB for me, the Volvo disqualifies itself for long term if its fitted with the devils own electric parking brake of doom.

MB drives the correct wheels too.

MB indy workshop back up is superb, some very good ones out there, Volvo indies are about but much thinner on the ground...for long term ownership good make specific indies are vital.

Do not neglect an MB autobox, oil change every 40k or so and it will last forever.

Edited by gordonbennet on 08/06/2014 at 09:44

We'll assume the MB is an auto, a manual MB is a miserable wretch of a thing, and after suffering the hell of one you won't be able to give it away in due course.

We'll also assume the Volvo is a manual, i wouldn't risk a geartronic or whatever its called as a long termer.

MB for me, the Volvo disqualifies itself for long term if its fitted with the devils own electric parking brake of doom.

MB drives the correct wheels too.

MB indy workshop back up is superb, some very good ones out there, Volvo indies are about but much thinner on the ground...for long term ownership good make specific indies are vital.

Do not neglect an MB autobox, oil change every 40k or so and it will last forever.

They are both autos Gb as I won't drive manuals and neither have an electric brake - that's one of the main reasons for the choice of these two in all honesty.

In response to Avant's earlier post re pricing the spec I want is the D3 Lux in the Volvo and, for that year and mileage, £18.5 - £19k seems to be the going price.