Best place to buy private number plates? - geek84

Hi Folks

Could someone advice where is the best place to buy private number plates?

I'm thinking of buying one which has 3 letters followed by some numbers?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Best place to buy private number plates? - leaseman

www.gov.uk and follow the links to the DVLA Cherished plate search facility.

Best place to buy private number plates? - Snakey

I bought some plates for the missus recently and used a company called plates4less, who basically prefill all the paperwork for you and send you the plates etc which made it very easy to do the transfer.

I've got no association with them at all, just speaking as a customer who found the process easier than expected by using one of these third party companies.

Best place to buy private number plates? - iFocus

Don't waste your money, they're pointless.

And I am saying this from experience, I currently have a private plate.

It becomes a pain in the a***, and its expensive each time you transfer it. Consider how often you're going to change your car, and if its often then don't bother.

Another negative is it makes your car very easily recognisable and seems to attract m****s.

Best place to buy private number plates? - Alby Back
Kind of with you there, I had one for donkey's years but eventually I sold it. It gradually came to me that it was just a bit inconvenient as you say and that the only person it meant anything to and the only person who quite liked it was me and most of the time I couldn't see it !

Each to their own of course. No criticism intended to anyone who has one, it's just not on my list of things I can be bothered with anymore.
Best place to buy private number plates? - Avant

It's strangely comforting in a way, having reached pensionable age, to look back at things I've never had, never wanted and with luck will now.never have. A personalised number plate is one. A Vauxhall is another.

....Although to be fair, when I did actually consider a Mark 2 Cavalier - must have been mid-1980s - I'm sure I'd never have thought that in 30 years' time I'd be driving a Skoda. Or that my Skoda would have a Golf GTI engine under the bonnet.

Edited by Avant on 08/06/2014 at 00:11

Best place to buy private number plates? - leaseman

Of a similar age to you, Avant, I have never had a personalised plate either. Although I have had Vauxhalls as Company cars.

I was, however, tempted by a particular number on the DVLA site when the new "11" plate numbers were released in late 2010. The price was £399 so the number was not considered to be very attractive to the team in Swansea.

I tried to log on to the sales site an hour before release time, but, try as I may, by the time I achieved this aim, the number was no longer available.

A week later, the same number was advertised by the plate company who happen to be by far the largest advertisers in the Telegraph Motoring section.

The price??? A mere £15,995!

Hmmmmmm. Odd!

Best place to buy private number plates? - NARU

I was given a (limited) choice of plates when I bought my MX-5. One of them spelled a word (as a result of the 11 year in the centre of the plate).

As a result, I got a personalised number plate for free. The word relates to one of my hobbies, which is nice.

But I won't be bothering to keep it when I sell the car.

Best place to buy private number plates? - John F

This is an example of a question whose premise is unacceptable to many, like 'what is your favourite colour'? If you do not have one, it is unanswerable.

Best place to buy private number plates? - Snakey

"Wheres the best place to buy a private plate"

"Don't waste your money etc"

What happened to this forum? Its like listening to the grumpy drunk at the corner of the bar here sometimes.

Best place to buy private number plates? - alan1302

What happened to this forum? Its like listening to the grumpy drunk at the corner of the bar here sometimes.

Has it not always been like that? :-)

Best place to buy private number plates? - Happy Blue!

Only when the OP is a troll.

Best place to buy private number plates? - Arrow

Well just a heads up for this one, i don't know if you already got your private plates but if you ever need again or want to buy a legitemate private number plates you can check where i buy mine. Check Personal Numbers through online they are DVLA certified and recognized as trusted seller of number plates. By the way here you can check it out (link deleted)

hope this will help and for future reference only. Cheers!

Edited by Avant on 13/05/2015 at 18:48

Best place to buy private number plates? - alan1302

Thanks Arrow - thats one to avoid. Thanks for the heads up.

Best place to buy private number plates? - jgrahampo

Avant, what's to say the Golf Gti uses a Skoda engine? Or a SEAT one?