Skoda Octavia vRS - Petrol vs Diesel with a twist. - Ethereal Knight

I'm thinking of buying a Skoda Octavia vRS around 2006 to 2010 model year and don't know whether to go for a petrol or diesel.

The twist bit is that I get a company fuel card so although the fuel isn't free due to tax on beneft in kind, it's greatly reduced. However I have to fund all the maintenance costs so need to think about reliability, servicing and costs of repairs. I'll be doing around 35,000 miles a year, the vast majority of which will be motorway miles.

I'm thinking diesel but if anything goes wrong isn't a repair likely to be more expensive than on a petrol version? Any pearls of wisdom? Thanks.

Skoda Octavia vRS - Petrol vs Diesel with a twist. - corax

You qualify for diesel and you shouldn't be getting any dpf problems with that mileage if you're doing high speed motorway work.

I would want a manufacturers warranty with any modern diesel though, just in case. The newer common rail engines seem to be better than the 2.0L PD engines that preceded them.

Skoda Octavia vRS - Petrol vs Diesel with a twist. - Avant

As suggested, go for the common-rail diesel: quieter and more reliable than the 2.0 PD diesel (although the 1.9 PD is fine). This came in in the spring of 2009 for Octavias, the year before for VWs.

lt could be worth considering the Elegance as an alternatv to the vRS. This is better equipped and may be a bit cheaper for the same age of car: it has the 140 bhp engine whereas the vRS has 170 bhp. You'd have to decide whether you want the extra acceleration or not. The 140 is quite lively.

The petrol vRS is much more of a clear-cut choice over other petrol Octavias. Mine is very economical - 40 mpg on a long run - but although I'm reluctant to advise anyone to get a used diesel car (because there are too many peripherals on modern diesels which fail at high mileages), I agree that your mileage probably justifies a diesel, which will give you 60 + mpg if you drive gently on a long run..

Thanks for the input.. I think maybe a test drive will sort out whether to opt for the vRS or Elegance as you suggest.

You've hit the nail on the head as to why I was considering a petrol even though I do high miles. Maybe in the long run the cost to me works out the same, with a petrol I'm slowly paying more in fuel and with a diesel any costs is in one big lump as a repair bill? The cost to me of my fuel would be about 50p/litre. I'm still considering a petrol as I'm not sure I like the shock of sudden big repair bills, if you follow my logic? Plus will a petrol feel like a better drive and be more responsive over a diesel?

Skoda Octavia vRS - Petrol vs Diesel with a twist. - alan1302

I'm still considering a petrol as I'm not sure I like the shock of sudden big repair bills,

You can always get sudden expenisve repair bills with a petrol car as well.

Skoda Octavia vRS - Petrol vs Diesel with a twist. - danda1

Is the Tdi engine the same as fitted to the A4 b8 tdi 170bhp ?

we have this and have had numerous flywheel and clutch problems, currenty 4th clutch and 3rd flywheel in 38k; audi being clueless as to why ? and useless for customer service. For an owner about £1500 - 1700 for a flywheel clutch change - so be wary !!

On this site numerous TDi flywheel issues mentioned and highlighted as an issue with this CR engine.

Skoda Octavia vRS - Petrol vs Diesel with a twist. - Avant

"Plus will a petrol feel like a better drive and be more responsive over a diesel?"

I personally think so - but that's because this particular engine (shared with the Golf GTi and sundry Audis) has lots of low-down torque. Not all petrol engines do. The only answer as I'm sure you realise is to test drive both and see which suits you.

I agree that petrol engines can have expensive repair bills, but it does seem that there are more peripherals on diesels to go wrong.

Skoda Octavia vRS - Petrol vs Diesel with a twist. - TR7
I am in a similar situation. My fuel is paid for but have to use my own car and do 35000 miles a year. I am not in a situation to buy new so I shop in the same dangerous waters! The problem buying second hand modern diesels is you don't know how they have been driven previously i.e. Lots of short trips. I have run a 1.8 vvti Avensis Tourer for the past 18 months with no trouble. Previous failures have been a 1.6 tdci Focus and Saab 93 1.9tdi nothing but trouble. However a 1.7 diesel Kia or Hyundai seem good I ran an i30 for a year with no problems.
Skoda Octavia vRS - Petrol vs Diesel with a twist. - oldtoffee

35,000 miles a year is a lot of time on the motorway in 6th where the diesel's advantage will be significant over a lower geared petrol. If you're buying used you want a diesel that has been driven as it should so it should have quite high mileage on it and if you run if or 3 years you're heading towards 200,000 miles. Not to have something bigand expensive fail on a VW diesel at those miles would be quite a big gamble.

Once you drive the petrol you'll love it (I had a 2006 one) and if it was me I'd pay the extra for the fuel, enjoy the car quite a bit more and have less risk of a big expensive failure.

Skoda Octavia vRS - Petrol vs Diesel with a twist. - corax

Once you drive the petrol you'll love it (I had a 2006 one) and if it was me I'd pay the extra for the fuel, enjoy the car quite a bit more and have less risk of a big expensive failure.

I've never had a VRS (although I was close to buying a Mk1), but if it's anything like most petrol turbos, it'll have plenty of diesel-like torque but also have the ability to rev. Good economy from the TFSI engine is the icing on the cake.

Someone I know thought the engine good enough to trade his VRS in for an Audi A4 with the same engine. His only gripe was an occasional lack of traction.

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'm leaning towards the petrol but at the end of the day I think a test drive and seeing which one I can find a good deal on will decide it.