Travelling to buy a (used approved) car? - jonny123456

What are peoples opinions on travelling for a used car? It seems all the best ones (Toyota Avensis, Estate, Automatic) are 150-200 miles from me, and a 2.5-3 hour journey away.

How does this work?

Do you negotiate over the phone, then travel down, test drive, (and if all is ok) leave your old car with them and drive the new one home?
Or is it a case of negotiate over phone, drive down, test drive, agree to buy, drive home, wait a week, repeat to pick up the car?

Not knowing much about what makes a good car, and what makes a lemon, should I be able to trust any used car a Toyota Dealership provides? Do I need to check everything (electrics etc) at the time I pick it up? From what I've seen you can't see much under the bonnet other than a black plastic cover anyway...

If it makes any difference I'll be looking at a 4 year old car (with the remainder of a 5 year warranty).

Also, can any warranty claims or other issues be sorted at my local dealer, should I discover anything soon after the purchase?

Travelling to buy a (used approved) car? - oldroverboy.

If you are buying that age of car make sure has full DEALER service history, (none missed) and that the sort of things that can be expected to be close to replacement are done too,

Check with your local dealer, they might be able to source a car for you, but if it is anything like west wales, the savings in travelling are worth the effort.

Be honest about your car before travelling or sell it to a website (sometimes worth it)and use the cash.

Travelling to buy a (used approved) car? - Happy Blue!

I have bought three cars 'remotely'. Two deals were very successful, one was not. The difference? - I did not ask enough questions about the car being acquired.

Get the selling dealer to describe the car to you in great detail, making it very clear that if you come from a distance to buy and the car is not as desribed, then you will walk away. Questions such as the condition of the drivers seat, pedals, carpets, bodywork, lights etc are important. Ask to see lots of photos and scans of all the history. Also be very truthful about the condition of your car.

On the two occasions I was happy, I sent them the agreed price to change so that it was in their account the day we were swapping over. When we each saw the car in question, both parties were happy.

On all three occasions, I did not go to the dealers, they either met me halfway, or delivered the car to me - but then we were talking cars with a minimum value of £18,000.

Travelling to buy a (used approved) car? - craig-pd130

We did this with my wife's Corsa a couple of years back. It was a Network Q approved used car, 7 months old at a dealer in Hull and around £1500 cheaper than anything we could find locally (Stockport).

We had no trade-in though, and it was a cash purchase. The car was an ex-rental (Avis) being cycled back into Vx used stock, with full balance of warranty etc. It's been fine, apart from a water pump failure fixed under warranty (not uncommon on 1.2 petrol Corsas, according to the Corsa forums).

I would get on the phone, speak to a salesperson and ask very detailed, specific questions about the car, to satisfy yourself. Ask them to email pictures to you. Describe your car to them. Discuss pricing on the phone. Then tell them you'll think about it and will call back later.

If you're comfortable it's a good deal, call a couple of days later and say you're travelling to close the deal, and you want it closed on the day - you're not coming back (as the other posters described above). Emphasise that if the car isn't EXACTLY as described to you, there will be no deal. You'll need to sort insurance etc but it's all doable.

Yes, warranty jobs will be done by dealers other than the supplying dealer.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 22/05/2014 at 17:31