Mondeo TDCi engine noise.... - Jacko
I know there are a few Mondeo TDCi owners who have contributed to this forum. What are your experiences with engine noise? I have a 10 month old Mondeo TDCi LX with 15,000 miles. The engine runs great, pulls like a train and returns around 50 mpg. My concern is with the engine noise. Mine sounds very noisy with a real harsh diesel "clatter" when pulling hard, is this normal? When ticking over it sounds very "tappety". The noises are the same when the engine is hot or cold. Once the car is cruising at 70 mph there is hardly any noise at all and you can't tell it's a diesel. Are these noises the norm with this type of engine.

Jacko.
Mondeo TDCi engine noise.... - Pete F
Jacko
This engine is certainly known to be on the noisy side due to combustion noise but it is worse when cold, so I'm puzzled by you saying it is the same hot or cold. One factor often ignored when evaluating engine noise is that it is sometimes due to poor sealing between the engine compartment and interior. It is worth checking for any 'holes' around steering column, pedals etc. where rubber grommets are not well seated.
Mondeo TDCi engine noise.... - kurnal
Hi Jacko
In my opinion the TDCi engine is fairly quiet and comparable to the peugeot HDi and Volkswagen tdi, and much quieter than the older Mk2 mondeos and Vectras/ Astras we have at work. If you look at the following web site there is an explanation of the technology and the metering system which is designed to reduce the clatter.
www.theautochannel.com/content/news/2001/02/28/015...l
hope the link works!

It could be that that the macro- metering on your system is not working for some reason- have you had the system checked for contamination ie the fuel pump problem?
Mine will clatter when the engine is very cold if loaded at about 1000 - 1400 rpm ( not fair really) and I have noticed from cold the engine has a light rattle which dissapears on flooring the throttle- things seem to go quieter the harder I press the pedal.
Mondeo TDCi engine noise.... - Jacko
Thanks Kurnal,
The car has been in the dealers this week, they have confirmed that the engine is too noisy and the tappet noise is probably a camshaft or hydraulic lifter problem. The car is still uner warranty so it's getting sorted next week. As far as I know the fuel pump is OK.

Jacko.