Ford Fiesta 2004 - Clutch Problems - Steve111

I have a long standing problem with my clutch system that is beginning to drive me mad. I will try to describe it as thoroughly as possible so please bear with me.

The basic problem is that the cutch is not smooth- It is very difficult to pull off smoothly from a standstill and changing to second gear is also jerky.

As far as I can tell the reason for this is that the clutch pedal does not apply a consistent amount of upward force when the foot is lifted. When releasing the clutch, the pedal moves as expected for the first half of the travel, then just passed the middle point the pedal exerts much more upward force on the foot, forcing the pedal all the way up. This varying resistance makes it more or less impossible to operate the clutch smoothly.

But here is the thing, when I bleed the clutch, the problem goes away completely but only for about a week or so. During the bleeding process I have never seen any air is expelled.

I have also replaced the master cylinder and the clutch return spring. The clutch itself was replaced just before I bought the car (about one year ago).

I would really like to hear any thoughts on this as I am out of ides.

Ford Fiesta 2004 - Clutch Problems - Peter.N.

I would have said that diaphragm clutches do that as once you get over the centre point there is more spring power which is why they get heavier as they wear but if bleeding cures it that obviously isn't the problem.

It could be sticking and the extra movement applied when bleeding it frees it off, try running some oil down the clutch shaft where it enters the bell housing, I have known them start to seize due to corrosion, not on your particular car though but the principle is the same.

Ford Fiesta 2004 - Clutch Problems - Steve111
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. I like your suggestion about the shaft sticking, as it seems to fit the problems I am having. I'm not sure how to access the clutch shaft to be honest, but I'm sure I can find it. Would you just use a spot of wd40, or perhaps Lithium grease?

One more symptom I forgot to mention before is that the first time I use the clutch after driving for a while on the motorway it is very stiff. This usually only lasts for one or two uses of the pedal, after which time it goes back to 'normal'.i suppose this also fits with something sticking. Although I have no idea why it would be worse after getting off the motorway compared to standing overnight for example.
Ford Fiesta 2004 - Clutch Problems - skidpan
One more symptom I forgot to mention before is that the first time I use the clutch after driving for a while on the motorway it is very stiff. This usually only lasts for one or two uses of the pedal, after which time it goes back to 'normal'

We had a Mondeo and a Focus that did exactly that. Both kept going and it is good leg excercise. Must be a Ford thing.

Ford Fiesta 2004 - Clutch Problems - Peter.N.

If you look on the gearbox end of your engine, the operating shaft goes into the top of the gearbox bellhousing, unless you have one of these new fangled clutches with the slave cylinder in the gearbox. It really needs lubricating with something more substantial than WD40 although that may well free it up, engine oil is better.

Ford Fiesta 2004 - Clutch Problems - jc2

IIRC,the gearbox with clutch operating arm on top of box is cable operated clutch-the one in the box is hydraulic.