New Tyres - Golf TDI Mk4 (S-98) - bagge
Original ContiEcontact (195/65 R 15 91T) on front worn out (of alignment) after 22k miles - replaced with Michelin (-EXT2) which now need replacement after 38k, which I presume is well done. Also, I am happy with dry/wet grip, etc.

Original Conti rear tyres also need replacing now (after 60k) - so I don't have problem of good ones on front or rear! (should be rear, according to other thread on Techn Matters). -

I do abt 60% milage on motorways, rest on country roads/winding lanes, and very occasionally in snow/ice. Consequently, I plan to revert to my former (Astra) habit of using Michelin Mud and Snow tyres 12 months a year - although these were/are (?) not officially "all-year" tyres.

Has anyone experience with Conti, Michelin or other M&S tyres on a Golf TDI Mk4, please ?

New Tyres - Golf TDI Mk4 (S-98) - daryld
My wife has a Mk IV Golf Automatic (petrol). The car has ContiEcontacts. The front tyres were replaced at 28K miles with the same tyre type; rear tyres are also wearing and will need replacing in about 5K miles.

I suspect that a diesel will waer the front tyres out more quickly since these engines are slightly heavier.

Note that our Golf has pulled to the left since new; it has been laser aligned twice by VW and unless it it driver on flat asphalt (like in a new car park), it pulls to the left. Other Golf drivers have the same experience. Note that the front tyres were worn relatively evenly over their treads.
New Tyres - Golf TDI Mk4 (S-98) - Big John
On the subject of pulling to the left, I think this is a common problem with VW golf/bora based cars including the Skoda Octavia. I thought my Octavia was pulling to the left (from new) until I went abroad, it then pulled to the right!!! I think it follows the road camber more than most cars.
New Tyres - Golf TDI Mk4 (S-98) - 547HEW
Have a 2001MY Tdi PD, from new.

At 48,500 mls still on original ContiEcontacts. My mileage is 90% motorway, and I try to avoid harsh accels and braking. The fronts will need replacement by 50,000 mls. I will be seeking identical replacements.

On the rears the o/side is OK, but the n/side is almost due for replacement, having worn at its outer edge... I think this may be partly due to the tyre being fitted the opposite way round when I had a puncture early on.

I have noticed a very mild sensitivity to camber effect.

New Tyres - Golf TDI Mk4 (S-98) - bagge
Thanks feedback.

1. Michelin and Conti websites both list proper winter tyres, only, not so-called "all-year", and I guess they will be somewhat noicier. Particularly when not driving in snow! - and recent experience has shown my present Michelin Energy XT2 to handle slight snow quite nicely (as also claimed by the mfr.).

2. My Golf TDI used to have a slight tendency to pull left - even when driving on the Continent. However, over the last say 10,000 mls this has deteriorated to the extent where a steady, firm handling of the steering wheel at 5-10 degrees to the right is required. Hopefully this will be rectified with alignment after new tyres fitted. - I shall report in due course ...