Honda CR-V - 54 Honda CR-V Real Time AWD - steado CR-V driver

Hi guys ,I am a new CR-V owner and have recently found that i have a 4wd system on the car, can anyone explain how this work or can be turned on, thank you :)

Honda CR-V - 54 Honda CR-V Real Time AWD - Cris_on_the_gas

It's normally front wheel drive but if they loose traction then it automatically switches to 4 wheel drive. Nothing for you to do it does it automatically

Thank you, as far as maintainance goes is there anything i can do? or if there is a problem will a light on my panel come on? (i.e engine management)?

Honda CR-V - 54 Honda CR-V Real Time AWD - Cris_on_the_gas

Are you serious, it's a Honda. chances are you'll die old before anything goes wrong.

Honda CR-V - 54 Honda CR-V Real Time AWD - skidpan

There is nothing worng with asking, its an old car and things can go wrong. Even old Honda's have issues especially if they have been neglected. Saying

chances are you'll die old before anything goes wrong.

is not a helpful comment.

Honda CR-V - 54 Honda CR-V Real Time AWD - RichT54

From a post on the Honda Karma website for this model:

the CR-V has dual hydraulic pump center/rear differential and 4WD transfer case.

The pump is constantly measuring the pressure and when the sensors pick up a difference greater than 3% between the two pumps it engages . The CR-V has clutch that connects the front and rear axles that kicks in to engage four wheel drive.

http://hondakarma.com/threads/is-my-cr-v-4x4.1781

In the review of this model on this HJ site, under the "What to watch out for" section it says

As with previous model, the oil in the 4WD rear differential dual pump clutch is known to degrade prematurely, well before the recommended replacement interval. Symptoms are a moaning/groaning noise when manoeuvering on full lock. This is easily misdiagnosed as a steering rack problem, which may lead to uneccessary repairs. The solution is to simply replace the dual pump fluid with the latest spec Honda fluid which is called Dual Pump 2 fluid.

I had a later model CR-V and the Owners Manual recommended periodically swapping the front and rear wheels to equalise tyre wear so that the 4WD system didn't engage unnecessarily.

Edited by RichT54 on 28/04/2014 at 13:01

Thanks for the advice guys, its all helpful!!!

Honda CR-V - 54 Honda CR-V Real Time AWD - SteveLee

Change the dual pump II rear diff fluid about every 30K miles. (only available from Honda) it usually takes just over a litre. If it's an auto then it's worth doing a transmission fluid drain and refill every second oil change - only 2.2 of the 10ish litres will come out when you remove the drain plug hence the requirement to perform regular changes. There are no serviceable filters in CR-V auto transmissions so this is why swarf removal through regular fluid changes is vital.

Many, many CR-V autos suffer from vibration at 30-45mph under light load when the torque converter locks up - this is due to clutch damage from neglected transmission fluid changes. If the shudder disappears after the fluid change then get rid of the car quick! You’ll notice the shudder disappears when you lift off the throttle and reapply it.
Again it's a Honda-only fluid - but Carlube do a compatible fluid called ATF-U which is widely available at GSF.

Diff drain/refill plugs and transmission drain plugs are 3/8" square drives. Don't use a cheap ratchet or a cast 1/2" to 3/8 converter - it will probably shear off. Make sure you can remove the rear diff filler before tackling the drain!