BMW X3 - Salesmen and their knowledge - Snakey

I went to look at an X3 yesterday and althought it was generally 'OK' it wasn't exactly in perfect nick for the money. I noticed it had 1 brand new tyre and 3 tyres which were down to around 2.5mm - which on any 4x4 is a definite no-no

What bugged me is the way the salesman argued that was fine and BMW's xdrive system could cope with that etc. I thought xdrive was only introduced later on, and with 4x4 you should at least have matching axle pairs of tyres?

Once he realised I wan't going to buy the car as it was he got a bit shirty and was basically muttering about how I would waste my time looking at other cars. Surely a decent car salesman would expect buyers to view several cars, possibly of different types before buying anything!

In the end the whole thing soured me on that dealer, it made me feel like they were just trying to get rid of a potential money pit and got annoyed when I didn't put up the cash immediately - as if the bmw badge was enough to blind me to any faults.

BMW X3 - Salesmen and their knowledge - oldroverboy.

Obviously not from a BMW dealer.. (I hope)

The bmw badge often "blinds" people.

BMW X3 - Salesmen and their knowledge - coopshere
If you find a salesman with technical knowledge then it will be a rarity. They exist for one reason only, to separate you from your money. Never expect them to tell the whole truth and if the bargain seems too good to be true then it probably is. You did the right thing by walking away and by doing your research before going. At least you will know where not to buy in the future.
BMW X3 - Salesmen and their knowledge - Snakey

Thats what I felt like - I've only had 2 4x4s in the past but any tyre fitter will tell you replacig axle pairs is the rule.

I can't find a definite answer, but I'm pretty sure the xDrive part is also more recent than the 2007/57 model year I was looking at.

They also told me it had a tyre inflation system, until I pointed out the space saver hanging underneath the rear of the car

BMW X3 - Salesmen and their knowledge - SlidingPillar

Different 4x4s have different rules. The basic Landrover system can tolerate different wear patterns quite well, but I'd not mix across an axle as the handling could be a bit different turning left than right.

If one has different wear front and back, then a lot depends on how the centre diff works, and there are some 4x4s (Fronteras are one) that don't have one, and are part time 4x4s.