Insuring a car - peugeot_buyer

All,

I was sold a lemon by a dealer a few days ago (please see general forum, which discusses my attempts to get a refund).

I have rejected the car, and informed the dealer. I want my rejection of the car to be absolutely clear to any reasonable observer.

So two questions:

- The car came with a week's driveaway insurance which will soon expire. I don't have a private drive. The car must be insured. Would buying insurance give a wrong impression that I have accepted the car?

- When the V5C comes through the post, should I return it to DVLA with an explanatory letter?

Thanks

Insuring a car - RobJP

If you have rejected the car, then you must return it - along with the keys, paperwork, and a letter from you to them explaining that when the V5 comes through, you will be arranging for it to be sent to them.

Keeping possession of goods that you have rejected implies that you MIGHT not actually be rejecting them after all.

If you do take the car back, and they refuse to accept the keys, etc, what then ? Quite simply, take someone with you. They video the refusal to accept, if possible you get the garage to sign a letter refusing to accept, and then you take it back home for safekeeping. Explain to the garage that you will be incurring insurance costs, and will claim for those in the small claims court.

One proviso : you need to be sure that you CAN reject the car. Have you given them the required opportunities to repair ? Have they failed or refused to do so ? Can you show this refusal/failure ? How cheap was the car ? (remember, below a certain price point, faults start to become 'acceptable')

If (as some others have suggested, reading the other thread) it turns out to be something simple, would you be better off taking it to another garage to be fixed, and then billing the selling garage, rather than going down the rejection route ?

Insuring a car - Collos25

Under uk law if you own a vehicle you must insure it or sorn it leaving an unisured car on somebody elses premises is not such a good idea.