Vauxall insignia 2lt diesel - Vauxhall insignia gear box whining noise - tow3r
Hi,

I am buying a 2010 vauxhall insignia diesel on 42,000 miles from a private seller

I have had the AA check the car and they have brought this to my attention:

Gearbox operation/noise -
Final drive operation/noise - An excessive whining noise was evident from the transmission when in first and second gears at the time of road test. Would advise immediate investigation in this area as this could prove costly to repair.

Could you please advise if u think this is an easy fix and fairly cheap or a full gear box and expensive. Could you please provide a guess at price.

Thank you
Vauxall insignia 2lt diesel - Vauxhall insignia gear box whining noise - skidpan

If you are really interested in the car try and agree with the seller to meet at a local garage for a quote (preferably one you know) and use that as a bargaining tool. Done it in the past when buying and selling. Worked for me.

Vauxall insignia 2lt diesel - Vauxhall insignia gear box whining noise - Railroad.
I've replaced loads of mainshaft and layshaft bearings on older Vauxhall Cavalier and Astra models when I worked in a Vauxhall dealership. They were easy to do with the right tools. Gearboxes on today's models aren't that different but I'm not aware of failures being common.

Edited by Railroad. on 17/04/2014 at 21:06

Vauxall insignia 2lt diesel - Vauxhall insignia gear box whining noise - tow3r
Thanks, I am trying to work out a worse case scenario price that is a used gear box on eBay for about £650 any idea how long it takes so I can caculate manual labour costs? Thanks

Edited by tow3r on 17/04/2014 at 21:14

Vauxall insignia 2lt diesel - Vauxhall insignia gear box whining noise - gordonbennet

Forgive me, but isn't this a very common vehicle.

If this low mileage car has suffered a gearbox failure i'd be wondering why, and if the gearbox is shot what else is going to go the same way and why, has it being towing a monster caravan around all its life, is the suspension about to fall apart?

There must be hundreds of these for sale, why risk one thats got problems.

Vauxall insignia 2lt diesel - Vauxhall insignia gear box whining noise - Collos25

There are thousands of these things for sale why on earth buy one with known faults I agree with GB ,what if it needs a gearbox is the seller going to pay for it bearin.g in mind a new clutch when the box is out.The repair bill could cost more than the car is worth in the trade walk away and find another.

Vauxall insignia 2lt diesel - Vauxhall insignia gear box whining noise - oldroverboy.

There are thousands of these things for sale why on earth buy one with known faults I agree with GB ,what if it needs a gearbox is the seller going to pay for it bearin.g in mind a new clutch when the box is out.The repair bill could cost more than the car is worth in the trade walk away and find another.

Fully agree! Don't forget 2.o diesel dpf etc I would NEVER buy a 4 year old diesel car nowadays.

Unless your mileage is 0ver 15000 don't bother.