Ford Fiesta - ex-Driving School Cars - UncleRob

What experiences has anyone had of buying and running an ex-driving school or ex-driving instructor car? Received wisdon is that the clutch will be shot and the gearbox on its last legs, but is this what people have experienced? The trade avoids them or marks them well down in price, so is a 12 plate Fiesta 1.25 Edge with 45-50k on the clock a reasonable buy at less than £6500? I'd be interested to hear of actual experiences, rather than supposition.

Ford Fiesta - ex-Driving School Cars - catsdad
My son has a 60 plate driving school Corsa bought from a car supermarket two years ago for just over £5k. Still had 18 months VX warranty. We had the gearbox oil changed as a precaution. We've had no issues. You take a risk with any used car and we thought the price paid allowed for any extra risk of it's being a driving school car was reflected in the price. Incidentally the dealer didn't tell us it's history only that it was registered to Hitachi finance who we know supply cars to driving schools and I could see the dual control holes. If as I suspect this lack of openness is common then a lot of people are buying such cars unknowingly as they are not registered to an obvious driving school name. Finally there are potential upsides. The car as a vital tool will probably been serviced to time. It will not have been used for cold short journeys without warming up. Hopefully dual control action will have avoided extreme abuse. But you pays your money and you assume the risk accordingly.
Ford Fiesta - ex-Driving School Cars - daveyjp

Any second hand car is a risk. As long as the price reflects this risk you should be in a position to cover any unexpected bills.

A clutch can go on any car, on a Fiesta its a cheap enough job.

My dad was a driving instructor and only had Fiesta diesels over 25 years. They were serviced 3-5 times a year and he never had a problem with clutch or gearbox due to driver abuse (one clutch failed early on due to a slave cylinder failing, the car was almost new).

I bought one off him after 2 years and 70,000 miles. I took it to 90,000 and I saw the car a few years later with about 130,000 on the clock. My sister bought the one he had before retiring, this had done 100,000 and she took that to 130,000 with just one injector needing replacing.

Ford Fiesta - ex-Driving School Cars - focussed

The driving school cars to avoid are ex- AA-driving school Fiestas and Focuses usually sold from Ford dealer forecourts. The AA driving school will not appear on the V5 as the first owner, it will be a leasing company.

The terms and conditions of AA instructors are such that if their car goes unserviceable a phone call produces a replacement the next day, so consequently the cars tend to be pretty much used and abused. Many of the AA instructors are newly qualified and are concentrating on earning a living and paying the substantial weekly franchise fees to the AA driving school, so the car, particularly the clutch, tends to take a lot of stick.

Ford Fiesta - ex-Driving School Cars - UncleRob

Thanks for the input. It is revealing that nobody (who has responded) has actually had major problems in spite of the perception people have.

I saw only one petrol version (a 2010 Zetec) at the place that was advertising them. I don't do enough miles to justify a diesel. It drove OK but had a rippled n/s door and the bonnet had been (badly) repaired and still had a crack in the paintwork which the salesman said was a scratch, but was obvioulsy a small crease. Also they relied on the manufacturers warranty if it still had any but only offered 1 month otherwise and then an extra cost option with Car Protect for 3 or 6 months. I thought a dealer had to give 3 months at least. I could imagine that if there were any problems, they would try to wash their hands of it. I walked!

Ford Fiesta - ex-Driving School Cars - gordonbennet

The one driving school car i would avoid is the worlds most miserable car ever ill conceived, the 3 cylinder Corsa, dear Lord what a contraption of depression that thing is/was, we couldn't get 'em on the lorry without a run up and even then you could smell the clutches for ages and often enough see the smoke from them wafting down the compound.

I dislike the underhandedness of trying (badly) to hide a vehicles previous ownership, and would out of principle avoid doing business with any wide boy who operated like that.

Ford Fiesta - ex-Driving School Cars - alan1302

Although not ex-driving school cars I've had 2 ex-rental cars. A Fiat Punto and a Hyundai i10. Never had any problwms with the i10 and although the Punto's power steering failed after 3 years I don't think that was anything to do with the previous owner - it's a common problem unfortuneatley.