Ford Fiesta 2010 1.6D Econetic Manual - Ford Fiesta 2010 Gearbox failure - FiestaNoFun

Anyone else had problems with a Fiesta gearbox. Car is less than 4 years old, 38K miles, full Ford service history. Unable to get into 1st gear and dealer has diagnosed a replacement gearbox.

Car is obviously out of warranty but a gear box should not fail at this age/mileage.

Ford have offered a token gesture, but I am still facing a bill of £1500 (+ extra if I have a new clutch)

Ford Fiesta 2010 1.6D Econetic Manual - Ford Fiesta 2010 Gearbox failure - Peter.N.

I assume this is a semi automatic box of some sort, in my opinion most auto boxes have a relatively short life compared to a manual and are always much more expensive to repair. I can only suggest that you get a used one from a breakers, have a look on ebay.

Ford Fiesta 2010 1.6D Econetic Manual - Ford Fiesta 2010 Gearbox failure - daveyjp
As the OP states it is a manual it probably isn't an auto.

I would be asking for full details of what has failed. Dealers are now only prepared to swap large expensive components as a unit, rather than do a proper mechanics job and maybe try and fix what is wrong. As it is out of warranty I would be seeking out a decent independent and let them have a look.

Edited by daveyjp on 11/04/2014 at 00:02

Ford Fiesta 2010 1.6D Econetic Manual - Ford Fiesta 2010 Gearbox failure - jc2

And if you add in the hours of labour to strip down and rebuild a gearbox,fitting a new assembly is probably cheaper!Especially as the gearbox change will probably be done by an apprentice/trainee under supervision and a gearbox rebuild would require a highly skilled fitter and still need to be taken out and refitted.