Ford Focus 1.6 hatchback, 2007. - Washer pump. - argybargy

Hi All

The washer pump on my 2007 Focus has stopped working. On operating the switch, the wipers do their thing but there's no sound from the pump and no fluid is ejected. The reservoir is full, and the fuse is OK.

I've removed the front wheel, taken off the wheelarch liner, released the washer reservoir, and had a fiddle with the wiring to see whether anything was loose to stop the pump from working. No effect, so I think I need a new one.

Other than trying not to trap/ kink any of the relevant washer pipes and electric cables when refitting the reservoir after putting the new pump in place, is there anything else I should bear in mind?

Thanks.

Edited by argybargy on 02/04/2014 at 19:46

Ford Focus 1.6 hatchback, 2007. - Washer pump. - elekie&a/c doctor

You will need to access the 2 pin connector to do a basic voltage test.Disconnect the 2 pin connector from the pump ,with the ignition on,test the voltage at both wires.There should be around 12 volts at both the yellow/black and white/black wires.The pump is not controlled directly from the wash/wipe stalk/switch.hth

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, I don't possess any testing equipment, and was simply planning to replace the pump. For future reference, how much would the relevant testing kit cost, and what exactly do I need?

Ford Focus 1.6 hatchback, 2007. - Washer pump. - elekie&a/c doctor

You could use a very basic test light for this job.Probably buy one for £10 or less.

Ford Focus 1.6 hatchback, 2007. - Washer pump. - jc2

You can get a basic multimeter for less than ten pounds-a simple circuit tester should be about two!

Might have been better had I done that before I bought a new pump.

I fitted the pump and the system remained as dead as a dodo. I checked fuses, fiddled with connections, the lot, and having exhausted all my own avenues I called a chap with a bit more experience. Through a process of elimination and using a simple testing light, he discovered that one of the pins in the multi plug between pump wiring and main cable had corroded and snapped off, so there was no longer a connection. We butchered the plug from the circuit, twisted the wires together (I'll do a more permanent fix with cable connectors at a later date) wrapped it all in insulating tape and hey presto: washer fluid squirting all over the show.

Cheers for all advice.

Edited by argybargy on 03/04/2014 at 20:34