n/a - standing around minding my own business - retgwte

So standing around minding my own business, as you do.

This person comes up to me and says “sorry I don’t know how to drive, do you mind moving my car for me? If you reversed it onto the road I’m sure I would be able to drive it forward ok” I politely declined and explained I wouldn’t be insured so I wouldn’t take the risk it’s a none starter. I thought maybe they would wait for a friend to arrive who could drive.

So anyways continued waiting nearby minding my own business.

Anyways the person then starts to try and drive their car, and its obvious from the hilarious antics that they are correct they indeed don’t have a clue how to drive.

Thought about it, decided it was way too dangerous to leave alone, so rang 999 and explained what was going on.

Police turn up and arrest this person and took them away.

Funny set of circumstances.

Some people really expect to get away with this stuff.

n/a - standing around minding my own business - skidpan

A friend of my mums was a terrible driver. She passed her test in the mid 70's, no idea how, must have had a good day.

But she could not reverse which makes life a little difficult at times. Mum was surprised on several occations when she would ask a complete stranger to reverse the car for her.

Still driving, now in her late 70's and as far as I am aware she has never had an accident.

n/a - standing around minding my own business - retgwte

this one didnt have a licence, as police quickly established

n/a - standing around minding my own business - unthrottled

You did the right thing. I'm a soft touch though; I'd have manoeuvred it for them and given them the benefit of the doubt-my parallel parking was dreadful for many years. :)

n/a - standing around minding my own business - jamie745

I'd have got my phone out and had my finger hovering above the 'upload video to YouTube' button.

n/a - standing around minding my own business - Wackyracer

I used to often see an elderly lady trying to park in an empty roadside carpark, It used to take her many attempts everytime. Often just going back and forth without a clue of which way to turn the wheel, While giving it about 6000rpm and slipping the clutch.

One careful lady owner? Hmm....

I think the OP did the right thing.

There is some incredible ones on youtube Jamie.

n/a - standing around minding my own business - Sofa Spud

Some years ago I overheard a snippet of conversation on a bus about a man who was working as an HGV driver despite the fact that he'd never held a legitimate driving licence because he was an epileptic.

n/a - standing around minding my own business - Wackyracer

Some years ago I overheard a snippet of conversation on a bus about a man who was working as an HGV driver despite the fact that he'd never held a legitimate driving licence because he was an epileptic.

That is rather interesting as you have to have a medical examination to obtain a provisional HGV licence and then to have a medical at 45 and every 5 years after until your 65 at which point you need a medical examination every year.

The Ironic thing is, That car drivers don't have to have a medical examination they just fill in a form themselves and sign a declaration that they have told the truth. This is how a sizeable portion of the car drivers on the road don't have eye sight that meets the required standard.

n/a - standing around minding my own business - P3t3r

I've had a similar situation before. A stranger asked me to turn their car around for them. I said I wasn't insured, but my passenger did it for them (he was insured). They also had a child in the car and they let a complete stranger in their car, with their child.