Rover Radio Code. - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Anyone give me the name & number of a dealer that will give me the code for the R660 radio on my 416 from the chassis number *by phone*?

Anyone tell me how to program in into the R660?

Thanks in advance!
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Rover Radio Code. - CMark {P}
Try Lindfield Rover (you seem to be on great terms with them).

Huge amount of implied winkies and smilies.
CMark
Already did.

They want a personal visit with docs. ;-(

I want to do this over the phone.
--
Rover Radio Code. - Dynamic Dave
Toad, fraid you'll have to "hop" on down to the dealership. For all they know you could be a thief who's stolen the car and found that the careless owners had left the docs in the glovebox. You might have to take along proof of who you are, as well as the vehicle docs. ie, utility bill, driving licence, etc.
Rover Radio Code. - Cyd
A Rover dealer WILL NOT do this over the phone. You will have to visit - take the car which needs the code, your V5 and ID with photo. They'll help you program it.
Rover Radio Code. - M.M
Toad,

Did you ask this a while back?? My only thought about going to all that trouble for the code is if the unit has ever been changed.

Just been through some real grief trying to get one fired up in a French car where we *knew* the code was correct....turns out the radio was replaced under warranty a while back.

Why not meet one of the dodgy boys on a dark street and get it sorted for a tenner??

MM
I did ask a while ago. Sadly I left my lights on over the weekend so it's become urgent.

Hence the need for the code.

I've managed to get hold of it ;-(

Anyone know what buttons I hit to code it in?

DW wrote:
Why not meet one of the dodgy boys on a dark
street??

Are you suggesting a way to earn the tenner?
--
Toad,

Is it a Philips? If so, then hold button AS down while switching on - making sure ignition is also on. If not Philips, then ignore.
Yes, it's a philips.

AS. Then type in the numbers using volume + and - ? I can't use the keypad because it's only 1-6.
--
When I turn it on the cord code appears.
--
'word'.
--
If it's the same coding sequence as the Philips in the Vectra, you do use the keypad buttons 1 though 4. Say code is 6,4,7,6. You press keypad button 1 several times until number 6 is displayed. Press keypad button 2 several times until number 4 is displayed, and so on. Without looking at the manual though, I can't remember the button to press when you've finished entering the code and want to then confirm it to the stereo.
Thanks dave.

Looks like trial and error. ;-(

Will it have the old 'double time' every time you get it wrong?
--
Double Time - Yes.
Also if recent Philips, you only get a max of 10 goes. It should tell you "number of attempts left" on the display.
Double Time - Yes.
Also if recent Philips, you only get a max of 10
goes. It should tell you "number of attempts left" on the
display.

Let's hope pressing the wrong 'enter' button doesn't count as a go.

I really *hate* security codes. They don't stop thieves but they do stop their legitimate owners.
--
Rover Radio Code. - M.M
Toad,

One of my LR Disco pals with a Rover unit thinks the way is......

Not going to pass it on as that'll be another go used up! You'll have to find someone with a book.

If you were about this weekend just gone though I could have met you at the back of the Swan car park with my coding hammer.

And as this is Technical I couldn't possibly expand on the business about the tenner.

;-)

MM
Right, here's the proceedure for Philips in Vauxhalls.

Switch on ignition
Press and hold button "AS" while turning on stereo.
A beep should be heard within 3 seconds.
Display should show 10 ----
10 being the number of attempts left. ---- being the 4 digits for the code.
Say for example code is 6438
Press preset button 1 seven times until 6--- appears on the display.
Press preset button 2 five times until 64-- appears on the display.
Press preset button 3 four times until 643- appears on the display.
Press preset button 4 nine times until 6438 appears on the display.
Now press and hold button "AS" again until you hear another beep. If the code is correct, the stereo will work. If incorrect, the display will show 9 ---- .9 being the number of attempts left. ---- being the 4 digits for the code. etc, etc.
The manual suggests NEVER go below 3 attempts left before consulting a dealer.
Use all attempts up and the stereo becomes part of a landfill site.
Rover Radio Code. - John S
DD

On a Vx radio you press and hold AS again once the code's entered.

Regards

John S
Rover Radio Code. - David Lacey
Nope........won't work!

Turn on the unit.

'Code' is displayed in the display.

Hit preset '1'

Using the tune up/down buttons, enter the first digit of the code.

Hit preset '1' again

Repeat for digits 2,3 and 4

Hitting preset '1' after the fourth digit entry, the radio will bleep and all should be well!

MG-Rover Problems? forums.mg-rover.org
Nope........won't work!

Ah, isn't it great that Philips cannot standardise how to code/uncode their stereo's across the different makes of car they're fitted to - NOT!
Do we have any Phillips employees here where we can direct our frustration?

Rover Radio Code. - M.M
David,

Think we do but he'll be giving himself the usual ritual beating before work anyway so I'm nor sure what we can do for real punishment....perhaps give him a Citroen?

MM
Dr Dave wrote:
Turn on the unit.
'Code' is displayed in the display.
Hit preset '1'
Using the tune up/down buttons, enter the first digit of the
Code.
Hit preset '1' again
Repeat for digits 2,3 and 4
Hitting preset '1' after the fourth digit entry, the radio will bleep and all should be well!

Sadly it behaves exactly as above except after the beep it comes up Err and makes me wait.

I'm guessing either it isn't the original radio or it's actualy has a fault, or maybe theres capacity for a previous owner to change the code...

I'm going to punch every Philips employee I meet today!!! ;-)
--
Rover Radio Code. - M.M
Toad,

>>I'm guessing either it isn't the original radio....or maybe there's capacity for a previous owner to change the code...

So you will need the boys parked up at the back of the Swan after all.

Seriously think how many units are likely to have been changed/stolen/upgraded/re-coded over the years so over time the chances of the original code working get ever slimmer.

MM
Problem is the dodgy boys charge 25 quid, a cheap cd is 60.

Strange, a bit of laddish rough and tumble during a post night out drunken game of 'Risk' broke the stereo in my house this weekend too.

Two stereo's in one weekend...

--
I'll bet the unit has been changed at some point.

"Err" indicates a code fault be it in the radio memory or the code itself.

I'll bet the unit has been changed at some point.
"Err" indicates a code fault be it in the radio memory
or the code itself.

Yeah. Oh well, I wanted a cd anyway.
--
Rover Radio Code. - M.M
Toad,

Come on old chap, no need to go through all this "married man's consultation**" if there isn't a full time SWMBO at home...just buy the CD player you wanted.

** "Sorry luv, it needs replacing. I've spoken to loads of guys for advice but it's still no good. Well yes the kids need new shoes but I do like radio 4 for the traffic updates when I'm stuck in all those jams every night"

Arriving home..."I was lucky there was a CD/radio unit on offer for just ten pounds*** more than a standard cassette unit so I had to get that. Oh and by the way they had some CDs on offer in the petrol station so I've got a Metal Mayhem compilation double for only £2.99***"

***Hide the receipts because the CD unit will have actually been £110 extra and the rock CD £14.99.

Of course I've never done this!

MM

Rover Radio Code. - wemyss
Toad, below is the instructions for the Philips R652 as in the Maestro and is also applicable for the R750 and R950.
switch on the radio and the code will be displayed which is either -c- or Rover C or Code.
1. press preset button 1.
2. press one of the tuning button to enter the first digit of the security code.
3.Press pre-set button 1 to store the first digit in the units memory.
4. Use a tuning button to enter the second digit of the code.
5 press pre-set 1 to store the second digit
6 Enter the third digit again using the tuning buttons.
7. Press pre-set button 1 to store the third digit.
8. Select and enter final digit. (the display will now show a full four digit (code).
9 Press pre-set button 1 to store the final digit.
If the correct code has been entered a two tone bleep will sound either once or twice and the radio will operate.
All the above copied from the manual.
Dont get the tuning and preset buttons mixed up, the pre-set are the ones with the numbers on which you probably know.
I also note that the code can be deactivated.
Quoting again....If the code symbol is absent (when you switch on) the radio will still work but is not protected by the security code.
keeping the "up" tuning button depressed switch on the radio and wait until a two tone beep sounds. The radio is now acivated
alvin
Many many thanks!!! - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Thanks to all.

Dave Lacey, Middleman, Alvin and *all* the others.

The R660 does use the 1 key and seek keys to enter the number. (Excellent interface)

I removed the radio this lunchtime and someone had helpfully written the number twice on the cover.

(How do people steal radios? I've been out in the car park for 30mins with two coat hangers freezing my nads off... ...if you work out the hourly rate a car thief would be better off working in McDonalds.)

Once more I can listen to Terry Wogans seductive blend of good natured chat and easy listening classics on my way into Toad Industries...

Anyone care to tell me how to disable the code number?
--
Many many thanks!!! - John S
Toad

Ah, but you didn't want to damage the dash, did you?

Now, if you were stealing it.......

Regards

John S
Seriously JS, I can't imagine a thief would treat a car worse than me!!! ;-)
--
Many many thanks!!! - David Lacey
Disable the code? Yes, it is possible but I can't find a manual old enough to detail the procedure......

Disable the code? Yes, it is possible but I can't find
a manual old enough to detail the procedure......

Hey - it's the latest plate I've ever owned!!!

No sweat about the stereo - If I could work out the keys to my bootleg version of jet set willy for the spectrum as a kid a stereo should hold no fears.

I really appreciate the help over the last two days.

Both here and at www.mg-rover.org/.
--
Many many thanks!!! - guzzler
To deactivate the code
"1. Depress the 'up' tuning button while you switch on the radio, and keep the tuning button depressed until the display shows either '-C-', 'ROVER C', or 'CODE'

2. Enter the correct security code (re Alvin above). When the code is deactivated a two-tone beep will sound."

But why would you want to deactivate it? Once the code is put in it would only need to be redone if the electrical supply is disconnected.
Many many thanks!!! - Dynamic Dave
But why would you want to deactivate it? Once the code
is put in it would only need to be redone if
the electrical supply is disconnected.

There is a way to de-activate the code so you don't have to enter it again after disconnecting the supply. It's meant so that if you send it in for repair, the repairer doesn't have to mess about with the code while he's testing it. Obviously this only applies if the stereo is still part working of course. That is why, for example in Toads case, the code number was written on the radio chassis. It's probably either been away for repair, or an exchange one was fitted. Stupid to leave the code written on it though when it was fitted into the dash. However, it was handy for Toad, IWI.
Many many thanks!!! - guzzler
Ah.
Many many thanks!!! - Bromptonaut
But why would you want to deactivate it? Once the code
is put in it would only need to be redone if
the electrical supply is disconnected.

Tend to think of all those jobs in haynes that start with the words disconnect the battery.

And "remembering" I left the lights on just as the train passes the car park ;-)
Many many thanks!!! - David Lacey
Yeah, I knew there was a procedure to do it, but never done it myself.

Guzzler: Thanks mate - your name is added to the list of people on HJ's site I owe big style...
--
Many many thanks!!! - Robin the Technician
These radio\'s are a piece of **** to remove with the right tools. The extractors can be purchased cheaply from halfords. It takes longer to get these tools from the packet than to take the unit out. I can do it in less than 5 seconds!!! It\'s a good idea whilst you\'ve got the unit out to pop the lid off the unit and clean the tape heads and rubber pinch wheels. Use a cotton bud and some surgical spirit- this will make the stereo sound like a spanking new one.

Robin - watch your mouth. Thank you. Mark.
Many many thanks!!! - Dynamic Dave
These radio's are easy to remove with the right tools.
I can do it in less than 5 seconds!!

Not sure if other manufacturers do it or not, but Vauxhall fit a little grub screw into each of the 4 holes of the radio facia. First you have to find the correct allen key, and so on. Can be a nuisance, but at least it might delay the potential thief a few more seconds, thus increasing the risk of getting caught.
Many many thanks!!! - Dave_TD
Or increasing the risk of them ripping a big hole in your dashboard, or the front off your stereo. Or kicking your air vents in out of frustration. Or your instrument panel. Or slashing the seats. :-(
Best you just park next to something even older Toad...
Guzzler followed your advice code is now inactive as it should be.

Caused me to weave a bit on the M23 ;-)

Many thanks!!!
--
Many many thanks!!! - Dave_TD
Caused me to weave a bit on the M23 ;-)

Just as well you weren't on the phone as well Toad! ;-)
Many many thanks!!! - Mark (RLBS)
this is a *very* gentle reminder, but we are in Technical Matters, not Discussion.
These radio\'s are a piece of **** to remove with the
right tools.

But slightly harder with four large paperclips...
--