any - car tax renewal scam - gentle giant

A Warning to all motorist renewing their Car Tax online.

I have just renewd my car tax online. somehow I got scamed by TAXDISC DIRECT.CO who took £215 from my debit card for £175 worth of car tax I am normally very careful to check that the web site is genuine but as i was in a hurry and it looked like the official site i used it. I have got the tax disk but it has cost me an extra £40 and i probably should get a new debit card just in case.

any - car tax renewal scam - daveyjp
No warning required. The tax disc reminder has the actual address and renewal code. Why would I need to search for the correct site?

In a funny way this post looks like spam to me. Spread the word of a scam site, no such thing as bad publicity and a few will fall for using it.
any - car tax renewal scam - alan1302

Just taken a look at that site - it's very, very similar looking to the real site.

any - car tax renewal scam - Avant

No - it isn't scam: Gentle Giant doesn't post often but has been on here before.

Thanks for the warning, although it would never occur to me to go anywhere but the DVLA itself for renewals.

any - car tax renewal scam - Bolt

Site does tell you a service fee of £40 payable with services listed to right of page

any - car tax renewal scam - Doc

I always make sure I give my local Post Office the business.

any - car tax renewal scam - piggy

It`s often quicker to use the phone number on the renewal form than to do it on- line.By the time my computer`s "warmed up" and on the correct website...... Plus if you renew by phone there`s no risk of being done up by a look-alike. Beware,there`s a lot of these (passport,etc.) about.

any - car tax renewal scam - TRACEYK

Hi,

I fell for this too. Have a look at their terms and conditions and it says you can apply for a refund of service charge less £8 admin charge. I guess being £8 down is better than £40. I received an e-mail this morning saying my refund was being processed, but I'm not counting my chickens. I called the DVLA and they confirmed that the disc I received is genuine, and that they are working on ways of getting rid of these scammers, but in the meantime we are stuck with it. For them to process the refund you need to give your bank details (no way Jose, I hear you shout!). I have a bank account with nothing in it that doesn't allow withdrawals if there are insufficient funds available, so I gave them that. I'm taking a chance and not going to cancel my debit card I paid for the disc with.

Hope you're able to make a claim, best of luck.

any - car tax renewal scam - skidpan

A few weeks ago the wife needed to get a copy of her mothers birth certificate but in the 87 years she has been on this planet its gone missing (if she ever had it). When I got home the Mrs had been in the internet and had found a site that charged just over £20 for a certificate which she thought better than driving to Sheffield, parking, queuing etec. I went on the .gov site, £9.75 for an official certified copy and it arrived in 2 days.

Its not just tax discs.

any - car tax renewal scam - Wackyracer

I think some of the road tax fees are a scam in themselves. Why don't they recognise euro4 or euro 5 LCV's between december 2006 and January 2009?

any - car tax renewal scam - krzem79
Hi. I had same situation couple weeks ago. I'm wondering if you had received your refund back. They said you have to wait 3-10 days for refund. I'm waiting 11 day and still nothing. Have you get yours. Please respond. Many thanks.
any - car tax renewal scam - IanWitham

@TraceyK - also fell for this, and I spend my life on 't Internet for work - a moment's inattention! They've sent me a very similar email offering to refund less £8, which might be easier than pursuing them via Visa - did you get you money back via the payment to the bank account you mentioned? I've reported them to Google, who are complicit by making money out of them (they promote them to the top of the page, goodness knows how much that costs and therefore how much money Google are making), but not holding out much hope that they'll do anything. Barclays were very helpful, and said that they get almost 500 of these per week via various copy cat websites, but that the law limited their scope to do anything because the website does post (inconspicuously in my view) information about the "service" and its fees.

any - car tax renewal scam - SteveLee

Scam? They haven't stolen anything off you, they said they'll charge a £40 service fee as plain as day on the home page for additional services (over and above the standard DVLA site) which they then list. I'm surprised they offer a refund at all - you paid for a service and got it. It may be poor value and designed to trick people into thinking it's the DVLA site - but all the info is there for you to read - and nowhere does it say it's the official DVLA site - indeed it clearly states: "not affiliated or connected with DVLA or gov.uk". 10/10 for attention to detail - they even have a 0843 number that forwards your call to the DVLA and charges you for the privilege!

Hasn't anyone heard of bookmarks before? I bookmarked the correct DVLA page years ago - a link that still works today.

The site is registered to a Claire Hall (although the company is owned by her husband Peter) - perhaps you could visit her? Busy woman, she's also director of "Check & Send documents services" Director, SALES, 2012.03.12, KNIGHTON WEST TISTED , ALRESFORD, SO240HJ

Unit 2 The Old Stables West Tisted Alresford Hants SO24 0HJ United Kingdom

Note to mods - this is public information before you get sniffy about the contact info being posted.!

@steveLee. It's maybe not a full on scam but the site is designed to look like the offical site and to fool people into thinking it is the correct one. It will have been 'user error' to have used the site for getting tax but this kind of site is purely to mislead people.

any - car tax renewal scam - Collos25

I agree with you Alan there is any number of sites covering many different services that are free if you use the correct web site,these sites must convince plenty of people or they would not exist and they are so designed to convince many old people or people who are not fully aware of what they are. I think they are criminal the way they are allowed to advertise their wares.

any - car tax renewal scam - thunderbird

If you are in a rush and possibly never visited the genuine .gov site these scam sites can look very genuine. But if they were totally honest and said clearly across the page that they were not the real thing and that they charged £40 for the privilage they would not get much business.

They try and look like the real thing for a reason and that reason is not to benefit the user.

Just look at the scam site

http://taxdisc-direct.co.uk/

and then the real site

https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/relicence?execution=e1s1

Can anyone honestly say that Taxdisc Direct have not designed their site in a way that it looks as similar as posible to the DVLA site in an attempt to misslead the consumer.

I accept that all the info regarding the £40 fee and the fact that they say in the small print that they are not affiliated to the DVLA is on the web page but that does not mean it is OK to set out to scam people.

Edited by thunderbird on 25/03/2014 at 13:10

any - car tax renewal scam - Gibbo_Wirral

Sorry but my eyes were drawn to the "service fee" box and the "not affiliated with DVLA" on its own in the top corner.

any - car tax renewal scam - Wackyracer

These type of website are purely there to deceive people, If they wasn't they would not be made to look like the genuine websites.

I believe there is also a similar type of website for people applying for passports too.

any - car tax renewal scam - JimChantal

Yes, very deceptive and solely designed to con people. I'm not wanting to bring in lots of new laws but surely such sites could be closed down using existing legislation? Well-known manufacturers protect their products from fakes, and these sites are no better - they are parasitic, nothing more, and so are their owners. Incidentally, my daughter fell for the passport one but realised immediately and so we completed an official application as soon as we could. This effectively blocked the sham one (as it would a second application for car tax etc.) because they do not turn around the applications that quickly, and thus escaping their additional fee.

any - car tax renewal scam - Armitage Shanks {p}

A lot of similar trouble with EHICs. Issued free by DWP or about £15 via a look-a-like site. When one Googles for a servive the first results are Adverts related to one's search and one needs to scroll down into the real answers. many sites also have uk and gov and ord suffixes which make them seem official, which they are not.

any - car tax renewal scam - Auristocrat

It is the NHS that issues EHIC's - the application site should be one for NHS Business Services.

any - car tax renewal scam - Armitage Shanks {p}

You are correct, it is NHS. Whoever issues them there are sites offering to provide a service which is free, by acting as intermediaries, for a fee. Take care.

any - car tax renewal scam - bananastand

This relevant to my other post about car park scammers. Most people, or a lot of people, will be duped by appearances. It only takes a moment's inattention. I have a "PCN" - not a penalty charge notice, which the council would issue, but a parking charge notice, designed to fool me into thinking I have to pay. I'm not.

any - car tax renewal scam - VR6

I feel for you. There are lots of things 'out there' that trip you up. I got stung last week for £35 as I didn't realise I'd set up an annual automatic payment to my home insurer. I had to cancel the policy, which cost £35.

My life in the last 3 years has become so busy with work and family that I rarely have time to check T&C's as I used to.

A colleague recently paid £20 for some Title Deeds for a house he was thinking about buying. The exact same document was available online via Land Registry for £3.

My life in the last 3 years has become so busy with work and family that I rarely have time to check T&C's as I used to.

Just be honest - you can't be beothered to read them! :-)

any - car tax renewal scam - blueguccigirl

I have recently been duped by these people thinking the website was the dvla. £167 for tax that should have been £127. I have never received the tax disc or a refund. 20 odd emails going back and fourth to no avail.

I am so upset that i have been ripped off. Any suggestions who i can contact about this? Trading standards maybe?

any - car tax renewal scam - FP

Trading standards, Citizens' Advice Bureau, free initial appointment with solicitor.

Start a Facebook page? Twitter? If you can gather around you others who have been scammed by the same outfit it will help. But be careful exactly what you say.

any - car tax renewal scam - kelchick22

hi this has happend to me also paying £215 and not receiving the tax disc. ive spoke to trrading standards theyv'e told me that in the t&c it may say something like they dont have to proviide the goods and they are only a chekcing service. ive looked into this and cant see anything that says that. what email are you using to contact them as i only have an addres from the website? ive been on the" which" website who have great standard letters you can send to them which im about to do tomorrow. so frustraing loosiong so much money and i have a baby on the way too.

any - car tax renewal scam - Matt0211

Hi there, have you, or anybody else that has fallen victim to this scam actually received refund?

I sent my account details to them 11 days ago, and have been told on a daily basis via e-mail that the refund is 'with world pay' for processing, but so far nothing...

Or has anybody got any other suggestions to get the money back?

any - car tax renewal scam - kelchick22

its been almost a year and im still waiting for my refund. I email and write to them and still nothing. i wont quit though. does anyone have any advice where i can go to to get my money back?

any - car tax renewal scam - alexunder

I always go to the site from the renewal notice but I almost fell for a renewal of European Health Insurance Card as I was travelling abroad and our cards expired I went to the website first in the google results as I do not know the address. I filled in all the details and then the bell rang when I was asked for my payment details. I thought - maybe they started charging for it since I had the cards initially issued but I did not pay and googled for it again. Saved me about £30 or so to go through the official website as it was free. Pretty sure there are many other services that are scammed in the same way and hope for business based on people's lack of attention.

any - car tax renewal scam - Freedgy

Another tax scam - http://myspybot.com/hmrc-email-phone-scam-virus/

any - car tax renewal scam - Avant

Thank you for this link, although I'm not taking the risk of opening it.

any - car tax renewal scam - mariakatosvich

we have got a couple of problems with them at the mo

1. we sold a car to my cousin over 2 years ago sent log book off to dvla, he hardly used the car put the car on his drive and sorned it in his name at his address he then scraped it last year sometime, a couple of months ago we got a letter stating we owed £80 for tax that was due from not taxing it since may 08, well we rang and explained and they said they never recieved the log book and that we are liable for the fine (although they allowed my cousin to sorn it in his name and address) anyway this is still in dispute as the car was sold so long ago we thought it was a thing of the past.Now we have a debt collection company sending letters and calling all the time and i think its rediculous that its taken them over 2 years to bring this to light.

2. We sold a car about 10 months ago sent log book off ect we have had a £70 parking fine and so we told them the name and address of who bought it we then recieved another parking fine then a letter saying it had been clamped and removed due to having no tax so we have again sent off the name and address of the person that bought the car from us as they say its still in our name so this is still in dispute too.

I'm really at the end of my teather with it all and not sure what to do next as your just pushed round in circles with it all, but why should we pay something thats not our debt when we did our bit by sending the log books off.

any - car tax renewal scam - galileo

1. we sold a car to my cousin over 2 years ago sent log book off to dvla, he hardly used the car put the car on his drive and sorned it in his name at his address he then scraped it last year sometime, a couple of months ago we got a letter stating we owed £80 for tax that was due from not taxing it since may 08, well we rang and explained and they said they never recieved the log book and that we are liable for the fine (although they allowed my cousin to sorn it in his name and address) anyway this is still in dispute as the car was sold so long ago we thought it was a thing of the past.Now we have a debt collection company sending letters and calling all the time and i think its rediculous that its taken them over 2 years to bring this to light.

2. We sold a car about 10 months ago sent log book off ect we have had a £70 parking fine and so we told them the name and address of who bought it we then recieved another parking fine then a letter saying it had been clamped and removed due to having no tax so we have again sent off the name and address of the person that bought the car from us as they say its still in our name so this is still in dispute too.

I'm really at the end of my teather with it all and not sure what to do next as your just pushed round in circles with it all, but why should we pay something thats not our debt when we did our bit by sending the log books off.

I send such things recorded delivery so I can produce the proof of sending it that way in case of dispute. I think DVLA also recommend ringing them if you don't get their acknowledgment within 3 weeks.

any - car tax renewal scam - Galaxy

I send such things recorded delivery so I can produce the proof of sending it that way in case of dispute. I think DVLA also recommend ringing them if you don't get their acknowledgment within 3 weeks.

1. I can only make a guess but, if you say this fine goes back to 2008, is it just possible that you failed to have the car taxed for SORNED at this time yourselves? The £80 fine is the usual amount for failing to ensure this and it's a mistake a lot of people have made. This is clearly nothing to do with your cousin if you sold the car to him after this time. If you genuinely do owe this money then it's certainly in your best interests to pay it; the DVLA won't just forget about it, I can assure you.

2. Sounds like the person you sold the car to has kept it registered in your name. This is a common ploy, or, at least, it used to be until the DVLA recently made all Car Taxes cancel as soon as a vehicle was sold, so the new owner had to both transfer ownership and tax the vehicle as soon as it was aquired. You can't do one without the other.

Logbooks (V5/C's) really should be sent to the DVLA by some form of Registered Post because the onus is on you to tell them about the transfer of a vehicle. Not applicable to your case but I believe this can be now carried out online. Even then, I'm quite sure it says on the DVLA website that, if you haven't received a letter from them within 4 weeks then you should contact them.

any - car tax renewal scam - Auristocrat

Usually when one notifies DVLA of change in ownership, one gets confirmation by post that they have noted the change.

any - car tax renewal scam - martint123

Do the change of ownership online and get :-

You’ll be sent:

• an email confirmation (if you gave your email address)
  • a letter confirming you’re no longer the keeper of the vehicle
  • a refund cheque for any full months left on your vehicle tax, calculated from the date DVLA gets your information - if you pay by Direct Debit, it’ll be cancelled automatically