Focus 2.0 TDci 2006 - High Miles Focus TDCi dilemma - J0HNuk

Long story short, I find myself doing 100 miles a day to and from work. I have taken a big drop in wages so money is tight and will be for at least a year.

My dilemma is this: should a spend money on my 105,000 miler, or swap it for my partner's 1.2 petrol Clio. She would then part-ex it on a newer small car.

My Focus has a slipping clutch (£1000 I've heard) and needs rear discs. It's running slightly rough but no codes showing on dianostics. I'm thinking maybe expensive injector problem?

I could get even more into debt paying for the Focus and keep it a year or two, or keep the 2008 1.2 petrol Clio 60,000 miler. I wouldn't mind driving the Clio although I'd miss the power. No idea how many MPG I'd get but I get around 55 in Focus.

So I guess my question is, will the Clio be cheaper to run for the next 1 - 2 years. Will it be reliable (or as reliable as a high mile Focus)? Would the Clio be cheaper to fix? Will it last doing over 500 miles a week. Would Money is the biggest issue, not speed or comfort.

What should I do?

Focus 2.0 TDci 2006 - High Miles Focus TDCi dilemma - craig-pd130

Looking at fuel costs alone (excluding everything else):

Let's say the Focus gives you 50mpg average. At £1.37 per litre, you'll use £62 of diesel per week doing 500 miles, times 48 weeks commuting = £2975 per year

Let's say the Clio gives you 35mpg average. At £1.32 per litre, you'll use £85 of petrol per week, times 48 weeks = £4100 per year in fuel.

Obviously I'm making some assumptions about the commute in terms of how much will be flowing open road, and how much in stop/start town traffic.

The Clio might not need any expensive parts replacing when it starts getting used in anger for the commute, but who knows?

I would suggest getting a proper written quote for replacing the clutch on the Focus, and for fixing the brakes. Only then will you really know what the costs are going to be. Rough running may simply be the car needing a service.

Focus 2.0 TDci 2006 - High Miles Focus TDCi dilemma - SteveLee

That mileage is nothing - if you're doing 100 miles per day - the car is nice and warmed up - all incidental moisture burned out of the drive-train fluids - it should clock up double that mileage with standard servicing no probs. Aftermarket rear discs cost peanuts - an independant should do them cheaply - or do them yourself. Easy job.

I suspect with such a long journey you'll get bored in the Clio and might start thrashing it. Of course the Clio engine will be working much harder at fast A-Road and motorway speeds than the Focus one - therefore longevity would be similar - despite the initial higher mileage on the Focus. I wouldn't expect a small capacity engine to last much beyond 120K miles.

Thanks for two great replies to my long winded and slightly vague question. You've hit on a couple of points I've been thinking of today. Would I get more than 35 MPG in the Clio (if not then keeping the Focus is a no brainer), would I get bored (almost certainly!) and would I feel happy thrashing (maybe) the little petrol engine and 5 speed box (Focus is awesome on A roads in sixth).

I'm going to use the Clio for a couple of days, maybe a week, and see what MPG I get and how I feel driving it. Drive to work is almost all fast A road, mostly dual carriageway, probably not as suited to five speed 1.2 engine.

Fixing the Clio may be cheaper, but not if it breaks ten times and the Focus proves to be reasonably reliable. Can anyone lend me a crystal ball?

Focus 2.0 TDci 2006 - High Miles Focus TDCi dilemma - craig-pd130

For the Focus clutch, Eurocarparts do a replacement kit which is supposed to be good and cheaper than Ford's own parts. The labour time is estimated at around 6 hours, so around £200 for the clutch kit plus the labour costs - probably £500 - £600 or so.

Focus 2.0 TDci 2006 - High Miles Focus TDCi dilemma - bazza

According to Spiritmonitor, a European mpg site, your Clio will give about 42 to 45 mpg. Bear in mind also that petrol is a few pence per litre cheaper than diesel. I'd rather do long miles in a Focus diesel to be honest, but as above, have it checked out by a good independant to get a real idea of cost. CLutch on its own shouldnt be a grand, maybe they're talking of changing dual mass flywheel as well - and it might not need that.

It' nearly always cheaper to keep what you've got and maintain it, although modern diesels can bite you badly with repair costs. That's what you need to weigh up.

Well, it's 5 months later. I decided to keep the Focus. It's more economical and much faster and better to drive than the Clio.

New clutch and dual mass flywheel was £860, Timing belt under £200. I think it was £50 for rear discs, just about to do the front ones myself for another £50. Flew through MOT!

It's been costly but I really feel the car has a new lease of life. I'm enjoying driving it and I averaged 60 MPG over a three week period. I challenged myself to drive economically and kept it up for three weeks. This week I've been touching 70MPH and accelerating fairly hard, enjoying the driving and MPG has dropped to 58.

Two tyres before winter and I'm hoping no more bills for a year, although there is a steering wobble issue which I'll ask about in another thread.

By the way, I was suspicious of the on board MPG readings, but the records I've kept seem to back it up.

Focus 2.0 TDci 2006 - High Miles Focus TDCi dilemma - Bromptonaut

£12-1500 is nothing compared to what you'd pay to change. Paid similar money in spring to keep my 150k miles 05 Berlingo 1.9D going. Hoping to keep it another three/four years to 200k+miles.

Focus 2.0 TDci 2006 - High Miles Focus TDCi dilemma - DirkThrust

I'd say that's a good decision. At 105k it's just about run in. My 1.8TDci has recently passed 200k and is still going strong

Edited by DirkThrust on 24/08/2014 at 15:17