Skoda Fabia - Used Approved Skoda - Previous Damage... - KizziK

I desperately didn't want to be one of those people who only post in forums when they want something but... I've been lurking for a while and everyone seems quite nice so I'm hoping you'll all forgive me.

I'm having a battle with Skoda about a Fabia I purchased in August for £6K. It's on 09 plate and has done just over 32K now (25K when I got it.) I was really pleased with it but then early January I noticed a few spots of rust on the tailgate. So I took it to my local Skoda dealer assuming I had a nice bodywork warranty. It then came to light that the rear bumper is not correctly aligned and that the taigate has had extensive paint work done to it in the past - the most likely scenario being that it was in an accident at some point.

Because this constitutes an "external factor" the bodywork warranty doesn't apply. So, I was advised to go back to the dealer I got it from (I moved house...) and contest it with them. So I contacted them and they advised I send photographs and asked me to take the car in when I was next in the area (which I told them would be mid-February). I did all of that. They messed me about for a week, telling me they had to "wait for the manager" etc. etc. and then told me there was nothing they could do because "how do they know I didn't have an accident in a carpark".

So, I'm quite offended, obviously, and I've been quoted £800 to repair the car. (Before a further patch of rust was discovered at a later inspection.) The dealer are refusing to admit that anything is wrong. But my argument, of course, is that I paid a premium to buy from a dealer, assuming this meant it would be thoroughly checked etc. etc. and that matters such as an incorrectly aligned bumper would be noticed and then subsequently the paint damage.

I'm at a sort of stale mate where the next step is either, I give up and just spend the rest of my life making loan payments for the car and being depressed about it, or I take the matter to a small claims court. Obviously, I would prefer not to be just be upset and hate my car forever, because it's a nice car really. But, have I got a leg to stand on? I know that in the first 6 months after sale the seller needs to prove the defect wasn't evident and now we've gone past six months. But, I raised the issue with them well within that time frame.

Sorry, this has been kind of rambling... I'm just keen to hear some opinions from other people before I just act emotionally.

Thanks!

Skoda Fabia - Used Approved Skoda - Previous Damage... - focussed

You bought a car in good faith from a Skoda dealer in August 2013 - presumably you inspected the car and the defects as noted were not apparent at that time. Now 6-7 months has elapsed and you have noted paintwork rust coming through and a misaligned bumper-possibly indicating that the vehicle has been damged and repaired previously.

Write a letter addressed to the dealer principal of the dealership detailing what the problem is, stating that you want the problem sorted out and that if you do not receive an answer within 14 days you will take the car elsewhere and sue them in the small claims track of the county court to recover the cost of the repair.

It doesn't cost a lot to raise a claim in this way and you can add all your reasonable cost onto the amount claimed - letter writing-postage- telephone calls- court fees etc.

Post the letter registered delivery signed for.

Skoda Fabia - Used Approved Skoda - Previous Damage... - KizziK

Thank you! I thought as much.

I sent the letter, didn't get a response and so have now sent my "letter before action". This is such a nuisance. The dealership freely admit (now) that the car has had paintwork done so something has been repaired/covered up but still refuse to acknowledge any fault. They would rather insinuate that I have has an accident, covered it up on the cheap and am now unhappy with the result and so want them to put it right! Madness!!