Ford Focus tdci - Focus focus tdci 1.8 2007 non starter - Dickiedunn

2007 focus tdci 1.8 non starter

Hi all. First post so be gentle :)

I have a mates' focus 1.8 tdci here which is failing to start. Seems to be lack of fuel. Have changed fuel filter and seals and also 4 glow plugs as I'm reading a glow plug fault. I realise this wouldn't cause the non start but I understand they can cause limp mode on these engines. I have filled the filter with fuel and tried a spray of easy start into the intake. Also to rule out fuel lines/tank pickup I have put a direct feed from a fuel can onto the top of the filter.I now suspect the high pressure pump, but before I go down this potentially very expensive route for him, I'd like to be sure it is this that is the issue.Is there anyway to prove the pump is at fault? Would anything else cause the pump not to start? Any suggestions are great fully received.

The non starting issue started before the fuel filter was changed, I changed the filter to rule out blockage or o ring failure.

Many thanks

Rich

Ford Focus tdci - Focus focus tdci 1.8 2007 non starter - elekie&a/c doctor
What fuel pressure do you have and also what rpm,engine speed can you read in live data?Does it try to start on easy start?

Will try to read fuel pressure tomorrow but my feeling is no fuel is making it from the pump. It tries to start with easy start but can hear a good amount of knock going on which adds up if it's running lean with little or no diesel.

Thanks for the reply will try to pull the live data tomorrow and post back

Ok so i'm reading 175 - 180 RPM when cranking over, only 30.5 PSI on the fuel rail and it remains totally static. I'm now wondering is the sensor is naffed... Would this cause the pump to shut down fuelling? Or am i simply looking at an air lock here hence the lack of pressure.

Does the high pressure side require bleeding? I would have thought not, however I don't know what was done by the garage who failed to fix the car before it came to me.

Tearing my hair out with this one!

Many thanks

Rich

Ford Focus tdci - Focus focus tdci 1.8 2007 non starter - Collos25

The glow plug light has two functions one for the the glow plugs and the other a purely generic warning telling you their is a fault in the turbo,actuator,EGR or exhaust system etc.Ifyou read the manual it does tell you.

Thanks for the reply, I'm not referring to seeing a glow plug light on the dash, I read a code for Glow Plug Circuit A, (P0380) a couple of the plugs were short to ground so i replaced them. This is not the fault causing the non start, and the Glow plug code is the only one being read from the ECU.

If you are using a basic OBD11 then the glowplug fault good be anything on some models this is also throws up a generic fault code.A glowplug to work acts the same as heater one end of the heating coil is +12v and the other is earth so be very careful deciding one or more are US.

The most common way to test a glowplug is remove it from the head and turn the ignition on with it connected it should as it name implies glow red.

Ford Focus tdci - Focus focus tdci 1.8 2007 non starter - elekie&a/c doctor

Forget the glow plug system,this will not cause a non start.You need at least 150 bar fuel pressure for these to fire up ,you have only 2,so no where close.Either there is insufficient fuel input,or there is insufficent restriction on the output side of the pump to the injector rail for the pump to build any pressure.Could be an injector fault.Pull off the spill return pipes and check for excess fuel return.There is no need to bleed a common rail diesel system,if you crack open a pipe ,then pressure is lost and this defeats the object of the game.It is possibly a pump problem,but you would need a system pressure test kit to analyse pump output.About £800 will buy one of these.

I fully agree, as stated above I realise the glow plug fault is not causing the non start issue. I feel it's fuel input or pump related as even with a direct feed into the filter from a can of derv it doesn't seem to pull the fuel.

Just really need to rule out other conditions which would prevent the pump from working, pressure sensor for example. Obviously I'm not going to spend 800 quid on a pressure tester set up so any other ideas?

Thanks

Rich
finally resolved it. A friend and half a can of easy start and now it's running with over 4000 psi at idle on the fuel rail. My bet is the kinked lines from the previous garage bodge job and the dodgy seal on the top o ring on the fuel filter were the root cause of the air lock. Just hope they haven't killed the pump with too many dry attempts at starting!

Thanks for the tips

Rich