Crankshaft pulley removal vectra auto - SteveC
Help! I am trying to replace the water pump on my '97 vectra 2.0 automatic. I can get as far as removing the timing belt, but to do that I have to remove the tensioner. But I can't get at the tensioner bolt as it's behind the crankshaft pulley, which means I have to remove said pulley. My Haynes manual suggests I have to lash up a system of metal bars, bolts, nuts and spacers to fix the torque converter to the engine casing to stop the engine rotating when removing the pulley centre bolt. Surely not? Is there a more simple and obvious method (not to me at the moment) of holding the pulley steady whilst undoing the bolt?
Crankshaft pulley removal vectra auto - Archie
Steve,

You don't have to undo the big bolt just the 4 Torx bolts in side the pulley. You can hold it still with 1 hand and use the other for the ratchet.
Crankshaft pulley removal vectra auto - SteveC
Archie, thanks for that. I did wonder if they were significant, but the manual gave no clues nor mention of them.
Crankshaft pulley removal vectra auto - Dynamic Dave
the manual gave no clues nor mention of them.

Unless Haynes (assuming that's the manual you're using) have updated their data, you have to turn the tensioner bolt the opposite way to what they tell you to tighten the cambelt as well. This was the case with the Cavalier Haynes manual anyway.
Crankshaft pulley removal vectra auto - David Davies
Garages would use an impact wrench to loosen this bolt,but presumably you do not have this equipment.One method which sometimes works is to place a socket and bar on the bolt and then wedge the end of the bar against the floor towards the front of the engine.You then disable the ignition by disconnecting the crank sensor and operate the starter motor,this will loosen all but the tightest pulley bolts.However are you sure you need to loosen the centre bolt? From memory the crankshaft pulley is held on by four torx bolts and is removed by undoing these not the centre bolt.Hope this is of some help.
David Davies (Tune-Up Raglan)