2006 Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 - Ford Focus - starting problems - chrisc1

Before Christmas I noticed the car was not always starting first time when turning the key, it seems it turned over, started and for a few seconds felt like it was going to stall before recovering and running as normal.

A few weeks later I tried to start the car to go home after work and was met with the immobiliser light flashing a sequence, a lot of relay chatter from passenger fuse box and a ticking/whirring from under bonnet - after a few attempts it died completely as if the battery was flat.

I jumped the car the next day and had the battery / alternater checked and all looked good (alternater is 18 months old, battery around 4 years)

All has been fine until today, tried to start the car again, same problem, flat battery.

Not sure where to start - battery tested OK, alternater is newish so am I looking at a PATS fault?

Any help appreciated

Chris

2006 Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 - Ford Focus - starting problems - elekie&a/c doctor
If the battery is flat,the car is not going to start,but will it start from another battery and leads or a power boost pack?if that gets it going,then I would suggest the battery and charging circuit needs to be retested.Unlikely to be a pats fault,unless the fuse in the engine bay fuse box has blown for this system.hth

Thanks for the reply.

The battery is definitely flat, I couldn't even use the remote central locking and had to lock the doors manually.

I'm going to give it a jump tomorrow as I had to ditch it tonight but going off last time this happened it did start with a jump and once I had driven it around for 30 minutes I had no problems restarting it, until today!

Not sure if this is related but I have had trouble recently getting the car to lock/unlock via the remote and doing the boot release took a lot of frantic waving of the remote to get it to function - not sure if this points to a problem or is unrelated!

Thanks

Just an update...

Got the car jumped, it started up but went straight into limp mode with "Systems engine fault" on dash and restricted speed to 20mph.

Looks like I will need to get it in for a diagnostics to see whats going on