renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 - renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 black smoke loss of power - brianbrew2014

hi all i have a clio mk3 09 reg 1.5 dci and when i start it lots of black smoke comes out of the exhaust when i rev it tons of thick black smoke fills the road and i get loss of power and pinging sound the smell of the black smoke smells of burning diesel also i dont get any warning lights on the dash any help would be great

renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 - renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 black smoke loss of power - Peter.N.

Black smoke is an indication the the engine is being starved of air. Check the air filter first, if that is clean you could have an obstruction somewhere in the inlet trunking. Try disconnecting the air intake pipe from the manifold, if it runs better the problem will be in the intake.

renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 - renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 black smoke loss of power - gordonbennet

From the amount of black smoke you describe, it sounds like it could be some sort of enriching for cold start has jammed in at full whack, if Peter N's sensible checks reveal nothing it might be worth getting codes read.

If the turbo has seized or otherwise then overfuelling might also result, together with obvious power loss.

Edited by gordonbennet on 25/02/2014 at 12:31

renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 - renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 black smoke loss of power - brianbrew2014

hi ive checked air filter very clean and all pipes are good no splits i took the pipe of from where it goes from turbo to air filter and the car sats for a second then cuts out if i put the pipe back on it starts with clouds of black smoke now i took the injectors out today number 1 injector was full of thick white cream near the nozzle and other 3 didnt look to bad i took them down to local diesel testing place who put all 4 on test he said number 2 injector is leaking out of nozzle all 4 back leaking what ever that means hes wrote the number on each injector reading on full mid idle but still baffled

renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 - renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 black smoke loss of power - dieselnut

If No2 injector is leaking from the nozle that will probably be causing your black smoke.

All injectors leak back to some extent, but if the leakage is too great you will loose fuel rail pressure which, if bad enough, will cause a no start condition.

I would have thought the diesel testing place you used would have been able to advise if the injectors were usable or needed replacing.

yes they said number 2 injector was bad the others thay said was on border line not very good advise from them reall to be honest ive ordered 2 injectors so ill be putting them in and checking all the other injectors aswell going through them see which are faulty if any of the 3 are

renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 - renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 black smoke loss of power - slkfanboy

Leaking injectors will kill your engine if left too long, the diesel will strip bores of all lubricant

thanks hopefully should be ok wen i get the injectors fitted in few days wen they arrive

update fitted 4 new injectors and still the same fault looks like the turbo as i thought all along

renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 - renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 black smoke loss of power - Peter.N.

If you disconnect the air intake from the manifold and rev the engine you should be able to feel the draught from the end of the pipe.

renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 - renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 black smoke loss of power - AndyT

First thing I would have checked is the EGR valve, could well be coked up and jammed open.

hi all sory for late response yes i checked the egr valve it was all clogged up cleaned with carb cleaner made no difference fitted another egr valve at that time and same also to the other person yes when i took the pipe of from the manifold there was no draught there but anyhow things have gone worse with this car and i need serious answers to my problem now i got hold of a good second hand turbo and i took the car to my local garage along witht he new turbo in the boot as they quoted me £150 to fit it now when i took the car there it started up no problem and ticked over fine it was only when u reved it loads of smoke came out of the exhaust due to turbo knackered they quoted me £230 that was for fit my new turbo fit new passenger wishbone with ball joint fit new oil filte and oil and new mot anyhow they rang me 2 days later said said we have bad news on your car he said this we fitted the new turbo started the car it revved itself rite up to full nearly took of on its own then they stalled it then they cleaned the exhaust out as it was full of oil now when they start it theres no compession wont even start with slight knocking sound now & again they wanted to give me the keys back ive told them that car has been damaged by you the garage now they say they will strip it down taking the sump of see whats happened ive no car now i still have videos on my iphone of that car ticking over perfect showing the turbo fault there was a mechanic in the garage wen i was there he told them that the garage mechanic who did the work has blown the engine up and its not my fault and why should i have the car back in that condition with a blow engine wen it came in for just a turbo change a service and mot please help what should i do regards this matter ?

renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 - renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 black smoke loss of power - dieselnut

For a diesel engine to run away it has had to have been overfueled.

That fuel can be either diesel or its own engine oil.

Turbo's do fail,& if they pass too much oil past their bearing on the inlet side, effectively fuel the engine from its own oil.

I would suspect that is most likely what has happened.

The engine will almost certainly be ruined now due to overevving. If it was caused by the turbo which you supplied, I can't see there being any blame for the garage.

yes theres defo blame fo the gaage as they never cleaned the intercooler or exhaust out first and they have let it run on its own oil and thats why its revved on its own and blew the engine dont forget the car started and was ticking over fine when it was left in there hands and all it wanted was a turbo being fitted they should have known how to do the rest not tryn give it back to me as a none runner no compression blown engine the garage is liable as its in there hands and care etc

renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 - renault clio 1.5 dci mk3 black smoke loss of power - domicolli95

my clio is doing the same has a loss of power and turbo seized can a light came up on the dashboard saying check injector on service light someone please help me step by step on what to do