Porsche Cayman - Fault with new car, dealer can't/won't fix - mariokart

Hi there. I have had issues with front light units of a new cayman I bought 5 months ago. The lights keep condensing up on the inside of the lens whenever they were switched on in cold/wet weather. The condensation reaches around 8-9cm up from the bottom of the unit (they are 'tall' lights). The dealers replaced both units under warranty however the new set still did it. They took the car in (had it for 2 1/2 weeks), resealed the units and tested them....still the same thing. They then tried another cayman they had in stock and it did it also. After consulting with their HQ, their official stance is that whilst they agree there is moisture ingress/condensation, they don't see it as a fault....however they are willing to compensate my for my troubles with some add-ons for the vehicle.

The light units are not 100% sealed as such, there is a vent to allow them to 'breath', so it seems pretty obvious that the moisture is coming from the outside air itself.

The issue I have is that when its particularly bad, it scatters the beam of the headlights in all sorts of directions....once I got pulled by the cops who 'had a friendly word' with me and on many occasions I got flashes from other drivers who I imagine assumed I had my main beam on. Whilst it rarely gets this bad, I have lost confidence in the car, i think its borderline road unworthy in certain situations and don't know what to do next.

I have researched 'rejection', however I have no evidence to prove that they are unfit for purpose/illegal other than the numerous photos I have sent them. I imagine taking it to an independant test centre and getting some sort of report would be a good place to start...I would be happy to upload photos here which would give a better idea of the scale of the fogging but can't see any function for this.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by mariokart on 18/02/2014 at 23:13

Porsche Cayman - Fault with new car, dealer can't/won't fix - Armitage Shanks {p}

I think 5 months is getting too late for total rejection of the vehicle but it seems from what you say, to be a fault of the model rather than your particular vehicle. Dim idea - one day,when they are totally dry could you seal the vent(s) with blue teack or duct tape and see if that keeps them dry? Not something one should have to do in 2014 to an prestige make cat but there you are!

Porsche Cayman - Fault with new car, dealer can't/won't fix - gordonbennet

Armitage's suggestion definately worth a go, nothing lost if it doesn't work out, a vent makes some sense but it sounds like its situated where its allowing water to get in rather than allowing condensation to escape by dripping out below.

I'd almost be tempted to drill a small hole in the bottom of the moulding at the lowest point of one headlamp unit as a drain (slightly larger could then be fitted with a tiny bore pipe glued in place to channel water away and deter splash intake from puddles), however i'm not suggesting you should do that you understand, its what someone like me would try on a 12 year old car worth the price of its fuel content.

Incredible for such an expensive vehicle to have this problem and the dealer/maker seemingly baffled how to cure it.

Anything on the Porsche forum about this?

Porsche Cayman - Fault with new car, dealer can't/won't fix - veloster

is this front or rear lights.

you say they are tail lights,but it scatters the beam of the headlights.

Porsche Cayman - Fault with new car, dealer can't/won't fix - Bromptonaut

is this front or rear lights.

you say they are tail lights,but it scatters the beam of the headlights.

I think the word you're reading as 'tail' is in fact tall.

Porsche Cayman - Fault with new car, dealer can't/won't fix - harry55

Hi

if a new car surely it is under warranty? How did you pay - with a credit card (of at least £100) , then use s.75 of consumer credit act and reject the vehicle. You can also reject within 6 months under Sale of Goods Act but be clear about fault - so get an independent mechanical report.