Volkswagen Golf V - Choice between Golf V or a A-Class - 5cylinderdiesel

Hi

I would like some advice or guidance on a possible choice between a 2007 VW Golf 2 SDi or a 2007 Mercedes A - Class 160/180/200 CDi. Both with over 100k on the clock. The only thing I am sure about is that this Golf does not have a turbo, so that won't need replacing. What I'm not sure about is does any of them have the following:

• DPF
  • Dual mass flywheel
  • Injector issues
  • They may also have one or both of the first two. but may not be problamatic....

I know both cars have some issues and especially at this age. However, My feeling is that the Golf will be the more reliable because it is more simple.

Anyone with knowledge of these 2 cars that could help will be welcome.

Thanks

Edited by 5cylinderdiesel on 14/02/2014 at 21:14

Volkswagen Golf V - Choice between Golf V or a A-Class - iFocus

To be honest I wouldn't have either, both will be requiring either major services soon or have expensive parts going wrong on them round the corner.

If I were you I'd look a petrol Japanese car as at these mileages fuel economy will be far outweighed by repair costs.

Volkswagen Golf V - Choice between Golf V or a A-Class - gordonbennet

Agreed, wouldn't give either of them the time of day.

Corolla/Auris/Civic/Ceed.

Volkswagen Golf V - Choice between Golf V or a A-Class - Avant

I quite agree with the others - not least because you've picked on two of the most unappealing diesel engines ever produced. The Golf SDI is S-L-O-W, and the Mercedes CDI (which I had in a B-class) is insufferably noisy, with a boneshaking, apparently unadjustable,700 rpm idling speed.

If you're buying a 7-year-old car, petrol every time and probably Japanese.

Thanks for the thoughts. Those are fair points and I am / have been considering them. Fuel difference between an 1.6 Auris and the Golf SDi will be £500 / year, if I keep the car 5 years it adds up to 2500. The Golf don't have that much to go wrong I don't think. And at the minute nobody can specify a known problem on this specific car (besides what I read in HJ about the Golf V, but many of those issue don't apply to the SDi). I've never seen anybody say anything about this VW engine going wrong. The Merc has a few items I suspect that can go wrong. Turbo if nothing else. But I think the Merc have a DPF and I think this Golf doesn't. I was hoping for confirmation. I am a big Toyota fan, come from a Toyota house, however there are various other factors to consider like for example I won't be the driver of this car. The Prius was on the short list, but the one for our budget is not looking the part apparently. And you tend to have to buy one with very high mileage for our set budget. I know of the possible issues with certain cars and I am aware of the stigma / mood around VW. But equally I've owned 7 myself and I've never been sorry, never had an unnecessary issue. 5 of the 7 were diesel. At the minute I'm running 2 clocking 265000 collectively, mechanical issue free. So if there is nothing specific that is known to go wrong on especially the SDi Golf, it's very hard for me to see why the Auris will be better as it's fuel will be much more expensive. If anyone can point me to something more concrete I'd be happy to listen. Thanks

Volkswagen Golf V - Choice between Golf V or a A-Class - SteveLee

You'll be spending £1000 per year just keeping the A-class on the road - it's hopelessly unreliable - unless your name is Mr Lucky from Lucky town, near Luckcester.

Volkswagen Golf V - Choice between Golf V or a A-Class - Collos25

The A class is a mechanics nightmare engine out for the simplest of jobs stop well away.According to Autobild the 1.6 petrol manual Golf is the one to own if you are self financing the 1.4,1.2.petrol and the early 2.0 diesel keep well away.

Edited by Collos25 on 15/02/2014 at 08:24

Volkswagen Golf V - Choice between Golf V or a A-Class - bazza

Of the two, the Golf. Although the SDI will be slow it is probably going to be more reliable than the Merc. But at that mileage, you should budget for a possible clutch/DMF at around a grand sometime during your ownership. Also suspension joints, bushes, discs, springs etc are all likely to add to your running costs. No DPF to worry about. Older VWs are prone to electrical gremlins, water leaks, central locking probs etc. I ran a 03 Octavia tdi to 100K before it was written off. Engine great but other things as above added to service costs. My current Octavia tdi is 08 and I expect to see a few of these things crop up as it heads to 10 years old and 100K, then i shall flog. Also have an 03 Corolla, which is totally bombproof, feels like it will last forever.

Thyank you very helpfull info. Another car I quite liek is the 2007-8 Civic 1.8 petrol. It looks to be very reliable. The diesel of that age looks liek it doesn't have a DPF, but I guess it will need a clutch + flywheel which will add circa £1300. For the estimated mileage of 15 000 I would have liked a diesel but at £4000 budget it's tricky. I recon the Golf SDi is probably the best diesel option (simply because it's a simpler design). Are there issues with the Auris 2 D4D?

Apologies about the spelling, it went quick. I meant the 2 L diesel Auris. As far as I know is the 2.2 not very good.

Edited by 5cylinderdiesel on 15/02/2014 at 12:39

Volkswagen Golf V - Choice between Golf V or a A-Class - idle_chatterer

We had a Civic FN3 2.2CTDi from new in 2007, it replaced a Golf 4 and we kept it less than 3 years - replacing it 'early' with a Golf 6, our 'experiment' with Honda having been a huge disappointment to say the least. It is the only car in 20 years that refused to start on our driveway (current drain due to ECU fault IIRC), it had numerous suspension problems (bushings, driveshafts, bump stops), thin and easily chipped paint and even at a young age the trim was wearing and rattling. The ride was bone shaking and the rear visability is risible - you need reverse park sensors.

On the plus side I still love the styling and they're incredibly roomy inside with clever touches like the rear seat folding and flat floor. The engine was refined, powerful and economical and they didn't have DPFs.

I'm not sure how these cars have fared in the past 4 years but I couldn't recommend one.

Isn't the 1.9PD available in a Golf 5, I'd have thought one of these would have made a much better choice than the SDi ?

Edited by idle_chatterer on 15/02/2014 at 14:06

Volkswagen Golf V - Choice between Golf V or a A-Class - bazza

A friend has the 1.8 petrol Civic and it's a powerful, refined car and incredibly economical for its performance - well over 40 mpg. But it's had several problems with suspension bushes which i think is a known problem. Visibility is indeed terrible, but the boot is great and space inside excellent.

Toyota diesels seem to be a mixed bag, from what I've researched. Their petrol motors are superior as far as I can make out- same for Honda-possibly.I guess their big markets are not UK, hence the focus on petrol and hybrid.

At 15K a year, I think your argument for diesel is marginal. I run one of the last 1.9 TDIs simply because I like it. it doesn't save me money and the replacement will be petrol or hybrid on cost and potential reliability probs- as I always buy used. I wouldn't fancy a modern piezo injected /DPF diesel out of warranty. Having said that many petrol motors have DI, piezo, turbo, so everything's getting complicated. But i would put your money into a petrol hybrid or petrol Toyota, Honda or Mazda to be honest.

Volkswagen Golf V - Choice between Golf V or a A-Class - sandy56
I ran a 2007 2 litre D4D diesel Auris for 4 years and nothing went wrong with it- zero faults.
Its a comfortable cruiser and fast enough.
Volkswagen Golf V - Choice between Golf V or a A-Class - Avant

That was a great engine, which made the Auris a lot more fun to drive than road testers make out abut Toyotas. But Toyota Death Wish GB stopped importing it: I don't know when that was. I certainly don't know why.

Volkswagen Golf V - Choice between Golf V or a A-Class - gordonbennet

But Toyota Death Wish GB stopped importing it:

They do make some strange decisions, and somehow manage to keep their gems secret too, don't quite know how they manage it, must be a natural talent.

Almost secrect was the 1.8 SR Yaris, and the T Sport supercharged Corolla (that still looked like grandads car, what a Q car).

No Diesel in Lexus until they saw fit to put the 4 pot Avensis tractor engine in...then with no auto option...a well sorted Landcruiser 4.2 litre 6 pot in the 300/400 body especially an estate version would have wiped the floor with MB and BMW in the 90's.

Soon as Lexus IS and GS kicked off big time Camry vanished, then they stuck that idiotic electric parking brake in the current Avensis (for that i cannot forgive) and wired it back to front, brilliant.

Have you seen the American Camry, its a gem of a car, why wasn't (isn't) that imported here, a sure fire winner, looks wonderful amid the sea of boring cloned eurocarp and competent to boot.

Volkswagen Golf V - Choice between Golf V or a A-Class - Trilogy

This is the Australian Camry. www.toyota.com.au/camry?WT.ac=Toyota_ShowroomPage_...e

Don't know if it is the same as the USA one. I can understand why Toyota GB stopped importing the Camry.