Ford Ka - Brakes & discs needed at a ridiculous cost - QuokkaChops
Evening all,

Am new to this forum and a new driver, apologies in advance if I make any noob errors!

I recently passed my test and was bought a Ford KA (53 plate)

I don't drive often as I don't need to but last week when I started my car and drove off I noticed the brakes were quite unresponsive.

My boyfriend (who works away for 2 months at a time and has just gone back) had a quick look and said that the brake pads and discs looked like they needed doing. I duly took my car to Halfords who said the car was dangerous to drive and that I needed the pads and discs replaced before I drove it again.

From looking at the average price I can buy the parts myself coupled with the time Ford state is adequate to change them I was not expecting to be told that new pads & discs would cost me £256!!

This sounds pretty steep to me, but, like I said I'm new to all this. Is this a fair amount?

The other thing that worried me a bit was whether they can refuse to give me my car back on the grounds that it's dangerous, he didn't say it in so many words but kind of insinuated he wouldn't let me drive it as it is too dangerous.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!
Ford Ka - Brakes & discs needed at a ridiculous cost - elekie&a/c doctor

Sounds a little expensive to me.A local garage should be able to do this job for around half this price.It is about 1 hours work max.They cannot refuse to give the car back to you unless there is an outstanding unpaid bill.hth

Ford Ka - Brakes & discs needed at a ridiculous cost - daveyjp
New discs and pads on our Aygo were £140 at my local indie mechanic. Just about to get him to do my B class and it won't be much more. MB wanted £400!
Ford Ka - Brakes & discs needed at a ridiculous cost - gordonbennet

The best most handy chap you will ever find is the good local mechanic, when you find him look after him, buy him a bag of sweets or a pack of beers now and again when he's looked after you particularly well, he will save you £housands over the years.

This is the ideal time to find that elusive chap, ask around people who's opinion you value for recommendations.

Its possible that Halfords have included bleeding the system in the price, unless thats been done in the last three years, and from the immediate nature of the condition of the brakes thats doubtful, then its probably a good time to do this too, allow say £30 whilst its all jacked up with wheels off.

Also it isn't just the case of throwing new discs and pads on, a good mechanic will spend some time giving the system a good going over, clean and lubricate as required, probably clean up the brake pies and give 'em a wipe of grease too whilst down there.

By the way, are they discs all round an a Ka, i'd have thought the rears would be drums.

Ford Ka - Brakes & discs needed at a ridiculous cost - QuokkaChops
Thanks for the replies everyone.

The brakes were changed 18 months ago according to the receipt.

I have no idea what the rear ones are? I don't know if my other half checked the rear brakes? I feel a bit stupid not knowing how my brakes work! :S

The chap from Halfords didn't mention anything about drums.

Would it be fair to assume that if the front pads and discs need changing that the rear brakes will need doing too?

Thanks again for your help all :)
Ford Ka - Brakes & discs needed at a ridiculous cost - elekie&a/c doctor
Rear brakes are drums on these.Doubt if they need replacing ,though may need adjustment to get a good pedal and handbrake.
Ford Ka - Brakes & discs needed at a ridiculous cost - gordonbennet
I feel a bit stupid not knowing how my brakes work! :

Nor did any of us know anything when we started out so don't feel stupid at all, we don't think you are, we learned and picked things up as we went along, some turned pro and some developed varying degrees of DIY capability.

If you really want to learn the basics i highly recommend finding a copy of the AA Book Of The Car...its an old book, circa the mid to late 70's, but its invaluable as a basic guide to how the rudimentary parts of cars, especially reasonably simple ones like yours, work. Superb exploded diagrams and repair methods (some well out of date mind you) explained in simple language.

A Fiver max should buy you a copy from the usual auction sites.

It won't cover intricate things like injection systems or satans automated manual gearboxes which came later, but the basic principles behind the average cars mechanics are still the same today.

As said, your rear drum brakes may not need renewal, but they could do with the drums removing to have a good look see at things inside, lubricate the handbrake cables etc and check the rear slave cylinders for operation.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/02/2014 at 18:42

Ford Ka - Brakes & discs needed at a ridiculous cost - Cyd

perhaps if you gave us some idea whereabouts you live, someone may be able to make a recommendation.

Or use HJs good garage guide.

Around £120 - £150 would be more like it imo.

Ford Ka - Brakes & discs needed at a ridiculous cost - Armitage Shanks {p}

I fully agree with those who say find an indie! However, if there isn't one, I reccomend looking for a small franchised Ford dealer; they know what they are doing and don't charge main dealer prices. Last year I took my Ka into a main dealer for a minor electrical repair. When I picked it up I was told the had given it a free "Safety Check" and that I needed £600 worth work done, parts were in stock and they had booked in for the next day! I took it to my small local dealer who put it on a ramp and said there was nothing needed to be done that couldn't wait until the next service in 6 month's time!!!!