Toyota Auris HSD - mould on seatbelts - common problem? - distributed41

I've looked at three Auris hybrids at two different dealerships over the past few days and noticed that all three of them had mould on both the front and rear seatbelts. Does anyone know whether this is a common issue with this particular make and model?

Also, any thoughts what's causing the issue? Could it be from the car standing at the forecourt for a few weeks or does it indicate a more difficult to eradicate problem with water leaking in? Just to say that there were some signs of condensation inside the car visible near the back window seals.

On two cars we checked more thoroughly there were leaves and soil in the spare wheel well, which struck me as strange. No obvious signs of moisture there, though.

Toyota Auris HSD - mould on seatbelts - common problem? - skidpan

Mould on seat belts means they are damp.

Leaves and soil in the spare wheel well can mean 2 things, first the car has been used to take garden refuse to the tip, second the car has been flooded.

There are better cars out there than the Auris and like all Hybrids its an expensive disaster waiting to happen.

Look elsewhere.

Toyota Auris HSD - mould on seatbelts - common problem? - madf

As Auris hybrids use the same drivetrain as a Prius - one of teh most reliable on the roads - " its an expensive disaster waiting to happen." - is factually incorrect..

But hey don't let me stop you posting rubbish :-)

Toyota Auris HSD - mould on seatbelts - common problem? - skidpan

As Auris hybrids use the same drivetrain as a Prius - one of teh most reliable on the roads - " its an expensive disaster waiting to happen." - is factually incorrect..

But hey don't let me stop you posting rubbish :-)

They may have been reliable so far but what happens when the battery pack comes to the end of its life. Will the car still be usable witha non-functioning battery or will it be several thousands to get a new pack.

People on this and other forums are fast to critisise DPF's which in reality are simple technology, totally reliable and not too expensive now that aftermarket ones are available.

The Prius (and all hybrids) are not the answer, they are an expensive con.

Hi skidpan,

AFAIK, the hv battery on the Toyota hybrids is guaranteed for 8 years and I certainly don't intend to keep the car longer than that. On a different note, the kind of mpg I achieved on the car I test drove yesterday was 44 (the figure you suggested on the other thread I posted re. Auris HSD) although it did reach 51 when driven by the dealer, so a slightly improved figure should be possible.

What I'm more concerned about right now is the mould problem. Is this a common issue with cars sitting around on the dealer's forecourt, esp. in wet weather? I would be grateful if people with experience buying used cars could comment on this -- have you noticed mould or white marks on the seatbelts when viewing used cars?

Toyota Auris HSD - mould on seatbelts - common problem? - coopshere
Did they have a spotless interior otherwise? If so they had undoubtedly been valeted, the valeter probably used a damp or wet fluid to clean the interior. The cars have then been closed more often than open due to the adverse weather of the last month or so and have not had time to dry out fully thus causing mould to grow.

If you are concerned find one at another dealers, there are plenty around.

There was a lot of dust inside and no chemical smell to indicate that the car had been sprayed or cleaned with chemicals, though this could be a possibility.

Toyota Auris HSD - mould on seatbelts - common problem? - bazza

It has been exceptionally wet lately and most cars are suffering from condensation to a greater or lesser degree. But I've not seen mouldy seat belts before, which might be indicative of a rain water ingress problem.. I would continue to shop around, there are plenty for sale. As for reliability, the Auris is one of the most reliable cars on the road and the hybrid technology is well proven in the Prius over 13 or more years. Plus of course in the unlikely event of a problem, Toyota are more likely to help out than any other maker, especially with the hybrid drive-train, although failure is rare. It's not everyone's cup of tea and the Auris is fairly unexciting but it's a safe bet as a used car. But the economics of it may or may not work for you, depending on your use etc.

Toyota Auris HSD - mould on seatbelts - common problem? - Galaxy

My old Ford Mondeo, which I laid-up several months ago and is now sitting in my driveway, has all the seats, seatbelts, steering wheel, headrests, etc absolutely covered in a white mould! It comes from the car not being used for an extended period.

There are certainly no water leaks to the interior whatsoever on that car but, over a period of time, the interior does become very damp with the non-use, which causes the mould growth. I've had the same problem with a couple of other cars which I've had sitting in my driveway unused in the past. The interiors of those cars have suffered in exactly the same way.

Since I ended up scrapping the other two cars, and the Mondeo is very likely to be going in exactly the same way, I wasn't / am not particulary bothered about the mould.

Toyota Auris HSD - mould on seatbelts - common problem? - unthrottled

t has been exceptionally wet lately and most cars are suffering from condensation to a greater or lesser degree.

Absolutely true. The fact that a lot of people drive around with a/c off and the windows shut means that moisture is bound to build up. Doubt there's anything inherently wrong with that particular example-but I wouldn't fancy it!

Thank you all for your replies. Water ingress is my main worry, I suppose, but even if it's simply condensation trapped in the car while it's been sitting unused, I still find it totally off-putting, so it's either an Auris without moulded seatbelts or a completely different make/model. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Toyota Auris HSD - mould on seatbelts - common problem? - focussed

14-12-2012: Can suffer a water leak into the spare wheel well via the one-way cabin vent flaps that emerge behind the sides of the rear bumper. Toyota later fitted modified flaps.

This from the HJ review.

Could explain the spare wheel well problem.

Toyota Auris HSD - mould on seatbelts - common problem? - Auristocrat

The water leaks into the spare wheel well affected some of the pre-facelift Auris (pre February 2010). However, where models did leak from these vents, they only let in water - not soil and leaves.

Toyota Auris HSD - mould on seatbelts - common problem? - colinh

Have had an Auris HSD for 2+years, live in Galicia, N.E. Spain, and it rained 27 out of 31 days in January and 9 out 9 so far this month. No signs of mould or leaks. Brim-to-brim records show long term average consumption 55.4 mpg

Toyota Auris HSD - mould on seatbelts - common problem? - colinh

Whoops - N.W.Spain

Toyota Auris HSD - mould on seatbelts - common problem? - Happy Blue!

Israeli weathermen blaming drought in the Middle East on the rain in the UK and western Europe.

No rain here (near Tel Aviv) since 23rd December, but lots of it in Devon. Makes Manchester look dry.

Toyota Auris HSD - mould on seatbelts - common problem? - Andrew-T
If so they had undoubtedly been valeted, the valeter probably used a damp or wet fluid to clean the interior.

If a dealer has the spare time to valet cars before anyone signs up to buy, it may be an idea to look elsewhere. In my (limited) experience traders clean up the inside after a punter signs on the dotted. You'd probably have to do it all again otherwise. Outside is different of course.