PCP Contract. Peg - peg

Hi,

I have afew questions regarding PCP.

At end of contract can you trade in at any franchise, as in normal px.or has it to be supplying dealer for same make?

If you hand the car back at end of term does it go to supplying dealership or can it be a dealer with the same franchise?

Thanks, Peg.

I feel sure you have the answers out there.

PCP Contract. Peg - RT

The whole point of a PCP is that you only borrow the amount of the depreciation and any residual value belongs to the finance company - so you don't/can't trade it in - unless you pay the original residual value written into the contract to aquire the the car first.

If you hand the car back at the end, it goes to the finance company - I imagine they make arrangements for collection and probably take it straight to auction.

PCP Contract. Peg - Bromptonaut

More or less what RT says. Your PCP will specify an agreed final value. At end of lease period you can pay that and own car outright. Alternatively you can return it and owe nothing albeit subject to excess mileage and charge for any damage such as scratches and dings. If you trade it for another form same mfr/dealer you migh get some 'equity' if they assess cars value as greater than agreed final value plus excess miles and damage etc. Overdoing the mileage is a killer if you return or trade the car.

We bought a 1.9D Berlingo on a PCP in March 2005. Was intended to be a second car to my 110/HDi X reg Xantia until 2008 at which time, both kids at senior school, we'd review our motoring needs. We though 9k annual mileage would be fine for either my station run or Mrs B's commute to a nearby town.

In fact the Xantia promptly threw its cambelt and then had a problem with HP injection system which meant the 'lingo was press ganged into doing the July 05 family holiday to France. Although lacking aircon it was so much more suited to family transport due to space around rear seats that it stayed in role right up to this summer.

At three years old it was on nearly 40k rather than 27k envisaged in the lease agreement. Fortunately we had the capital to pay the £3.5k final value. The 13k excess miles at 9p a mile would have been a pretty penny (nearly £1200k) and of course it had picked up a few battle scars as well for which we'd also have been penalised.

In event it's been a super car and I'm still driving it today as it approaches 150k miles.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 02/02/2014 at 18:59

PCP Contract. Peg - peg

The whole point of a PCP is that you only borrow the amount of the depreciation and any residual value belongs to the finance company - so you don't/can't trade it in - unless you pay the original residual value written into the contract to aquire the the car first.

If you hand the car back at the end, it goes to the finance company - I imagine they make arrangements for collection and probably take it straight to auction.

Thanks for reply RT,

Am aware that vehicle and residual belong to finance Co until cleared as does HP agreements. As I remember you can PX a car that is on HP with the selling dealer sorting the outstanding finance.

With a PCP I understandI you can turn vehicle in at end of term and walk away, pay the baloon figure and keep vehicle or use any residual and change vehicle.

Of the three options above the question is:-- does one have to use the supplying dealer for the franchise, any same franchised dealer or a dealer of a different franchise?

Peg

PCP Contract. Peg - RT

If you pay the ballon figure you can do what you want, it's your car - whether you keep it or trade it for your next conventional puchase.

If you return the car, it's up to the finance company where it goes.

I'm not sure I understand your question about franchise though.

PCP Contract. Peg - Dabooka

I think the OP is asking can they take the car to a diffenret dealer and trade it in with them settling the final PCP payment as they would HP?

OP is that correct?

PCP Contract. Peg - Avant

I agree, and yes he can.

I've had PCPs since 2001 on various makes of car, and PX'd them all. As mentioned above, the dealer clears the finance with the finance company, and adjusts the deal for positive or negative equity when selling you the new car.

The only difference with changing to the same make of car is that you may get a better deal, particularly if your old car is new enough to put on their forecourt rather than trading out.

PCP Contract. Peg - davecooper
The other option, which I did for my last car, is to buy the car outright at the end of the contract and then sell privately. I bought my last Mazda 2 for £4500 at the end of three years and sold it for £6400. This was only because I knew someone who was interested in the car and we had agreed a price beforehand.
PCP Contract. Peg - Dabooka
The other option, which I did for my last car, is to buy the car outright at the end of the contract and then sell privately. I bought my last Mazda 2 for £4500 at the end of three years and sold it for £6400. This was only because I knew someone who was interested in the car and we had agreed a price beforehand.

Assuming they have the means to settle; I think it's scary the amount of people who sign on the line and don't realise or choose to 'forget' that small detail!

PCP Contract. Peg - peg

I think the OP is asking can they take the car to a diffenret dealer and trade it in with them settling the final PCP payment as they would HP?

OP is that correct?

Yes that is correct.

Thanks all for your imput and answers, not been down the PCP route before as I usually PX and buy, so just checking the options at end of PCP agreemet.

PCP Contract. Peg - davecooper
"Assuming they have the means to settle; I think it's scary the amount of people who sign on the line and don't realise or choose to 'forget' that small detail!"

Absolutely right. I was lucky to have the money available at the time. Not sure I would have been able to do the same for a much larger sum.

There can be a fair difference between the GFV and the real value of the car. I imagine the dealers do quite well from cars that are just handed back after a PCP.

PCP Contract. Peg - RT
There can be a fair difference between the GFV and the real value of the car. I imagine the dealers do quite well from cars that are just handed back after a PCP.

It's surely the finance company that benefits by realising more money than expected ?