Which Small Economical/Reliable Car Budget 4K? - Wokeye

I'm looking to get a smaller car as my Focus Auto is crap on fuel. I don't want an auto by the way, just a small car (not tiny) that is relaible and cheap to run. I'm not that bothered about £30 tax as I think I am slightly under budget unless I got a 107, C1 which are too small. All the same don't really want to pay more than £130 tax a year.

I had my heart set on a Suzuki Swift 1.3 or Honda Jazz. I have read that the gearboxes are not great on the Swift so I don't think I'll bother now. The Jazz seems like a great car although the looks aren't great and they are more pricey than a Swift which I guess is because they are more reliable and more practical. I have also had a Honda before and it was faultless. The Yaris is also worth a mention but again they are expensive for the later shape.

Is there anything else worth considering? I tend to run cars into the ground if possible so like something relaible that is not prone to rusting. I have no interest in French cars, but would maybe consider a Fiesta as I am surprised at how good my Focus has been. But I still can't imagine them being as good as a Honda or Toyota.

Edited by Avant on 31/01/2014 at 22:12

Which Small Economical/Relaible Car Budget 4K? - Gibbo_Wirral
I have no interest in French cars

Why not? You're instantly dismissing the Peugeot 206, a very solid reliable little car.

Which Small Economical/Relaible Car Budget 4K? - Wokeye

I have just never cared for French cars and the mechanic whom works on my Focus really dislikes them. Just what I've read been told has put me off a bit. I have also been looking at the Mistubishi Colt. Not a real lot of info on these, they appear to be quite practical. A dull image but that does not bother me. I am guessing that they are reliable, but that's just a guess.

Which Small Economical/Relaible Car Budget 4K? - daveyK_UK

Dont buy a 206, rubbish driving position, cramped, rubbish engines and not reliable.

nissan note or honda jazz would be my choice.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 31/01/2014 at 21:59

Which Small Economical/Relaible Car Budget 4K? - Dabooka
Not really comparing like for like though, a 'new' 206 is going to be a couple of years older than an 'old' Note. Different cars and different budgets.

I had 1.4 206 and loved it, great little car. I currently have a 1.4 Note and it does what it says on the tin but otherwise....

I'll be looking at getting rid of the Note, possibly for a Swift funnily enough.
Which Small Economical/Relaible Car Budget 4K? - Dabooka

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 31/01/2014 at 22:13

Which Small Economical/Relaible Car Budget 4K? - SteveLee

The Colt is a decent car – quite a hard ride – but is reliable unlike the Smart ForFour sister car. Don't overlook the Fiat Panda – well put together, reliable and frugal and plenty of space around the driver. The diesel is a surprisingly good motorway cruiser. Won't do much for the street-cred but they are fun and frugal. If you're a big lad you'll find you have much more space in a Panda than any of the Japanese superminis - the ride/handling balance is better judged too.

Which Small Economical/Reliable Car Budget 4K? - Avant

I wouldn't have thought that a Yaris would be any more expensive than a Jazz of similar vintage. Consider the Toyota Auris as well if the Yaris is too small. The Skoda Fabia is cheap and normally reliable - but don't dismiss the thought of a manual Focus (or Fiesta).

The advantage of Fords is that there are lots of them about to suit any budget. For £4k you should be able to find a car with a full service history.

Which Small Economical/Reliable Car Budget 4K? - Chrome

How about a Kia Rio mk2? Mine (a 2007 1.5 diesel owned from new) is coming up to 7years old & 51k now and is a cracking car. Plenty of interior space, economical and reliable. Here is my review at 46k on the HJ car reviews - owners reviews - www.honestjohn.co.uk/owner-reviews/kia/rio-2005/?r...d. Not much smaller than the Focus mk1 either. I plan to run it into the ground. As an aside a friend runs an 'L' reg Metro diesel with 156k on it - he really is into cheap motoring!

Edited by Chrome on 01/02/2014 at 10:19

Which Small Economical/Reliable Car Budget 4K? - groaver

If you can find one a Daihatsu Sirion in 1.3 form has the older Yaris' running gear. It should be cheap and will be reliable.

Think of it as a Yaris for less money.

They do not import Daihatsus to Europe anymore but parts for servicing are readily available.

I had the 1 litre version and thought it excellent. It never let me down.

Thanks for the replies and some good suggestions. I had thought of the Sirion before but it has got slightly strange looks, but I agree a good alternative to the Yaris. I use to own a K11 Nissan Micra and also a P10 Primera eGT, these were the best cars I have ever had, but I'm not that sue about them now as I thought that they were essentially a Renault in drag. I may be wrong but that is why I have never really thought of one of the later models. Thanks again.

I have also thought of a Panda, again the looks put me off slightly. But I have read that they are very good cars. I will also look at the Kia Rio thanks.

Edited by Wokeye on 01/02/2014 at 15:31

Which Small Economical/Reliable Car Budget 4K? - SteveLee

Yep the second generation Pandas are built to a high standard (in Poland) - unfortunately they are in the process of moving production back to Italy for political reasons, so expect them to become Fiats again at some point.