Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - Slightly Nervous

Hello

After some advice / re-assurance. I was issued with a "penalty notice" in Sept 13 after being 20 mins overdue on the ticket I had paid and displayed. After trying talkig to the attendant, looking at online appeal system and varous stuff on,ine I have been ignoring the letters so far.

Today, I have received a letter from Gladstones Solicitors of Knutsford acting on bahalf of Parkshield Collection Limited saying I now owe £150 (the original fine plus their collection fee) and that if not paid within 14 days they may be instructed to take action to County Court.

Is the best advice to ignore or respond ? If I shoudl respond any help on what to include / wording would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - FP

"...if not paid within 14 days they may be instructed to take action to County Court."

Operative word : MAY.

Sounds like an attempt to put the frighteners on you.

I suggest you wait and see if any court papers arrive; if they do, you should not ignore them.

You may like to have a look at www.pepipoo.com

P.S. A quick trawl of Pepipoo suggests Parkshield is not known for going to court.

Edited by FP on 30/01/2014 at 19:37

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - Slightly Nervous

Thanks - will have a look at the website suggested

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - DirkThrust
Do they actually call it a "Penalty"? If so that's very naughty. Private companies cannot issue Penalties. The tickets issued by private parking companies come under civil contract law
Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - Armitage Shanks {p}

Exactly. A parking company can only issue a Perking Charge Notice, which is on the basis of a breach of "Contract" details posted on signs in the car park There are sometimes dressed with chequered edges to make the look "Official". To get any money from you they need to take you to court and prove they have suffered a financial loss. I think OP overstayed by 15 minutes in a half empty car-park which was free for 2 hours. Hard to prove mush loss there!

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - Mikfo

Hi there, I have received a similar letter.

It looks very legit ( header/ boarder/ back icon/ real contact details etc) and as a student I am very scared and concerned with any legal matters I could potentially be faced with.

Unconsciously I have ignored it for 2 months (unopened mail)...

I was wondering what you did? Did you reply? If so what did you say....

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - FP

"It looks very legit ( header/ boarder/ back icon/ real contact details etc)..."

Depends what you mean by that. The letter is designed to look convincing so as to get you to react; it doesn't mean that it carries any legal force.

I suggest you look at www.pepipoo.com

It seems that Gladstones (which are a genuine firm of solicitors, as far as I can tell) are prepared to be a part of the intimidatory practices of parking companies - and for which they no doubt get paid handsomely.

You do not detail your situation and it's difficult to comment beyond the above generalisations.

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - Inenglishplease

This has been fairly well covered so far, but here goes... Private companies cannot issue you with a charge 'penalty' - only local councils, the police and a few other formal bodies are able to do this. What you are being charged with here is 'breach of contract'. You will find that when you enter the car park, specifically where you pay, there will be a list of rules that determine the car park's usage. It is a pet hate of mine that these 'rules' include a £100 charge if you fail to adhere to the contract stipulations. They seem to mirror the same stance the local councils take but, of course, they don't have the same powers as the public authority.

I would not let them bully into paying exaggerated fees. Write to them, explaining the reasons why you were 15 minutes late on returning to your vehicle. It is a myth that the firm cannot 'take your to court' or that demanding damages for breach of contract is 'unenforceable'. Private car park operators are legally entitled to pursue what they perceive are legitimate debts, otherwise no one would pay!

However, if you can put across a decent case and there are mitigating circumstances as to why you were late back to your car, then put this to them in writing. I also would, at that point, offer to pay for the 15 minute stay that you have effectively got 'for free'. Thereafter there is no debt to speak of and you have explained your position. If ever your case did go to court after that, the private car company are going to have a hard time proving that you have been unreasonable.

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - Bemused123

Hi I have received and unsigned, cheap paper quality letter from Gladstones also.

I parked in the rain on a road, during a Thunderstorm in between several already parked cars, and did not see private parking signs either end of the road that night, I parked in the middle of the road next to waste ground covered in rubbish in between 2 vehicles, we parked at 6.15pm ticket placed at 6.20pm we all received tickets. The email address on the ticket did not exist, so I looked up the company online AS Parking. When I received notification of a fine, I emailed the company, I went through there appeal process, and of course was denied. I responded I will only pay if instructed to do so through a court, as TV advice is not to pay unless police or council, the road I parked on, is not identified with any road markings for permit holders, as shown in other areas, the signs states, no parking outside of single marked bays, We did not see the sign and there are no road markings indicating permits bays at all, I sent photos to this effect. The road I parked on is identicle to the oposite side of the road , where there are no parking restrictions, we did not know this, as the road was full of cars both sides, when we arrived, we parked in the only gap.

I think we have done enough to show we have tried to explain the situation, I stated I felt they are duping people into parking only to place charges. I had not denied them of any fees nor was the land blocked from entry, I now park a cars width away from the pavement in the road, to avoid tickets, like other cars also do, which is ridiculous but is apparently the public highway as there are no lines there is no reason not to. It just seems strange why you would build a road to look identicle both sides and can see no reason for denying parking on one side. I have asked to be told who owns the road, or the land they have their signs on and was replied, we have no dealings with the land owner, so wondered and questioned how they are allowed to put signs on the land regarding charges. I am intending ignoring the solicitors letter, as it is not signed, and no name upon it. If I go to court I will take the pictures and hope someone sees this for what it is.

Edited by Bemused123 on 09/07/2016 at 01:00

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - concrete

Something similar happened to me. I parked, along with dozens of other cars, in what seemed a perfectly good spot. Light traffic, no obstruction caused, no lines etc etc. I had a private parking ticket attached to my car. I duly ignored it and received a reminder with lots of intimidating claims. Then a letter from Trethowans solicitors threatening court proceedings, burn my house down, shoot the dog etc etc. An online search revealed that Trethowans is an associate company of the parking company and probably deals exclusively with their cases. I ignored that letter too and have since heard no more from them in over a year. You take your chances I suppose.

Incidentally, a friend of mine, with some legal knowledge, is sure that if you decide to settle before any court proceedings then all you are obliged to pay is the original sum. If the tickets says £50 if settled within 14 days then you are not obliged to pay any more than £50 at any point before official proceedings are instigated. This is on the basis that if the £50 was deemed a sufficient sum to offset any perceived damages for breach of contract at the point of issue, then the £50 is also a sufficient sum to achieve this at any point up to official proceedings. Food for thought.

Cheers Concrete

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - Titan500

Gladstones are taking me to court on July 5th for my refusal to pay a £60 charge for a 4 minute stay in a permit holder only car park. I have done a lot of research, and this is how I see it.....Under contract law, a parking management company cannot fine you for a breach of contract. They can only seek to recover their losses as a direct result of that breach. Generally, they will have lost nothing more that whatever charge you haven't paid to park, which could be nothing at all if you overstayed in a free car park. However, if they have the correct signs, in the correct place, ie. the car park entrance, then things will be different. The sign will say that there will be a £?? charge if the parker does not satisfy the conditions etc....this is then not a fine, but a charge, the cost of parking, and a binding term of the contract, the same as if they just said....parking here costs £?? right from the outset. There may be an argument that the charge, normally £60 plus, is an unfair term or condition in a contract, but this would be a risky defence, as what is fair could be conceived differently by different judges, and it is likely the amount will be within the guidelines set out by The BPA code of practice. In Beavis vs Parking Eye, the court found that £85 was an acceptable charge under the circumstances, so be careful fighting a ticket with this defence.

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - RobJP

You are almost certain to lose. In which case, they will be able to apply for you to have to pay court costs, their legal costs, in addition to the £60.

It is a permit holder only car park. No permit means that you are taking the place that a permit holder has paid to be able to use, so you have potentially put the parking company in breach of their contract with their paying client. If the parking area was adequately signed, then I don't see that you've got a leg to stand on.

You could well end up with a considerably larger bill after 5th July.

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - Bromptonaut

Is appointment on 05 July a full Small Claims hearing before a District Judge?

There's some useful guidance here:

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-sys.../

It's written from perspective of claimant but not difficult to adapt and apply to position of a defendant.

Is there anything in the signage etc that might provide you with a defence? In your shoes and if I thought there was I'd be tempted to attend in person and make my case.

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - daveyjp
Gladstones send out Court papers like confetti, but they generally don't bother to follow any Civil Prcedural Rules. It takes too long and many people see Court and cough up before Court so they cover their costs from the vastly over inflated claim they submit.

Many Gladstones cases fall down on procedure rather than detail of the case.

Take a look at Parkingprankster, he has loads of Court reports featuring Gladstones and their technique. You still have time to put a call out for a 'Mackenzie friend' to assist. Pepipoo is the place to visit for assistance.

parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/

Indeed there is......I am going to defend myself on the 5th. I'm arguing no contract was formed, as there was no sign in the entrance. There were/are other signs dotted around the car park, but I genuinely did not notice them. I have a photo of the entrance from the date of offence, and also later when the management company added a temporary sign over the top of another notice. I think they added a temporary sign when the need for a sign in the entrance was high-lighted in the Beavis case. The BPA code of practice emphasises very strongly the need for an entrance sign.

I realise that the £60 penalty is a contractual term, but I may also argue that it's an unfair contractual term. £85 was found to be fair in Beavis, but his stay was nearly an hour, in a very busy over subscribed shopping centre car park in Chelmsford, where mine was 4 minutes out in the sticks, with no possible financial justification.

The ticket is a copy of a statutory notice, and therefore illegal....it's a misrep of authority, and it's not completed in accordance with the BPA's code. I shall also suggest that the warden watched me park, and failed to mitigate loss. I will be questioning hard their right to take court action, as their agreement with the land owner was made in 13, and may well not include such detail. Taking a chance....fingers crossed.

If I ever ever ever consider taking a case to court again ever, please just somebody slap me. If, like me, you spend literally hours and hours.....probably days in total, researching every avenue, and knowing your case inside and out, and all of the supporting cases from history, then you have completely wasted your time if you walk into the court without a legal representative, as you run the risk of the judge showing you zero respect whatsoever, and simply dismissing every valid point that you raise.

The oponent in my case, A M Parking of Maidstone, issued me with a ticket which was a copy of a statutory notice, and therefore misrepresentation of authority, it was completed incorrectly, as it did not show a period of parking in accordance with the requirements of POFA. Their agreement with the land owner was dated prior to my ticket by a year, and could not be proven to have been current at the time of my ticket, nor did it show any mention of authority for the parking company to issue tickets, collect fines, or issue proceedings. There was no mention of any authority from the permit holder owner of the space concerned. There were also no signs whatsoever in the carpark entrance.

The judge pretty much started by saying this would be dealt with quickly, as he had a long list of cases today. He dismissed the BPA code as worthless, and said he would assume that the parking company had all of the relevant authorities, even though there was no evidence. He didn't seem interested that there were no entrance signs.

I lost......the p*** was taken out of me. I feel 100% sure, that had I had the support of a solicitor, I would not have been treated so badly. The law is for the wealthy.

Be warned.

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - Avant

Sorry Titan, but I'm just curious. Why did you park in the 'permit holders only' car park in the first place?

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - Graham567

What did you end up having to pay Titan?

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - daveyjp
On 13th June I gave Titan Heads up on what needed to be done.

I suspect it wasn't taken on board and unfortunately a poorly presented defence often leads to a loss.

No...I read all of your information Davey, thank you, and feel I presented myself well.......I parked in a permit holder space, because without a sign, I didn't know what the rules were ! The total cost was only £213.....so not life changing......it's just the dismissive attitude of the judge that urks so !

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - skidpan

.I parked in a permit holder space, because without a sign, I didn't know what the rules were !

The rules should be obvious. No permit you park elsewhere.

As they say, they ain't no cure for stupid.

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - RobJP

No...I read all of your information Davey, thank you, and feel I presented myself well.......I parked in a permit holder space, because without a sign, I didn't know what the rules were ! The total cost was only £213.....so not life changing......it's just the dismissive attitude of the judge that urks so !

So now you are claiming that there were no signs, and yet in a previous post you said :

There were/are other signs dotted around the car park, but I genuinely did not notice them

If you were as consistent in your court appearance as on here, then it's really not a surprise your case was thrown out.

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - TedCrilly

I don't think the Judge is being dismissive, they simply don't like having their and court time wasted for no good reason.

You may believe your evidence was watertight but the judge obviously didn't. That's his role.....suck it up!

I am also of the belief we are not hearing the full story . if you have knowingly admitted at some point you have done something that you think may be wrong you may have well as said guilty! And simple common sense tells us that if you have doubts over the legality of a parking condition you don't do it until the doubt is removed.

Of course the advantage of full representation is that your advocate will also tell you WHAT NOT to say.

And.......is anyone else 'getting' sour grapes?

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - concrete

My experience of Small Claims Court judges is positive. They do have a heavy caseload and therefore don;t want or need long-winded and overly complicated arguments. The answer is concise bullet points of information to support the argument. Brevity is much appreciated and if the judge gets this he more likely to see a swift resolution and also give you the benefit of any doubt. Judges will not accept long drawn out speeches that are usually too emotional and complicated. Most cases are decided around a central point or two. Make these clear, concise and brief and you will have a friend in the judge.

Cheers Concrete

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - Khan0121

please could someone give me an isight as to where i stand with my pcn. the reason to why i did not originally pay for the parking was because the parking machine was out of order so i could not get the ticket to put in my windscreen.

thanks

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - Palcouk

There must have been other correspondence, or notices, prior to any solicitors letter

please could someone give me an isight as to where i stand with my pcn. the reason to why i did not originally pay for the parking was because the parking machine was out of order so i could not get the ticket to put in my windscreen.

thanks

Where and when was ticket originally issued? Was it by a Council or a private company?

What stage in process are you at now.

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - KJP 123

Were there no other working machines?

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - HGV ~ P Valentine

The magistrates courts are a joke and openly unjust, you are right that without a lawyer they will not take a blind bit of notice of any evidence put before them, it's a boys club law and unless you are in the club forget it. They have all but abolished legal aid, so thats another knife in the back of working people who earn too much to qualify but not enough to pay legal fee's.

Cpmpanies and councils try and make it look all legal and from the courts, the only way to find out if its really from the courts is to take it to the magistrates court and ask them if its from them, the poll tax people sent me one years ago, and even RENTED A COURT ROOM in the magistrates court, when I asked the court clerk she said it had nothing to do with them,

The magistrates courts are a joke and openly unjust

As somebody who could accurtately post as 30+yrs a professional court officer I'm calling 'rubbish' parts of 30yrs a PD's post though I entirely accept what he says about Legal Aid.

First of all anything to do with Gladstones and parking on private land is diddly to do with Magistrates. It goes to the County Court a different outfit where decisions are made by legally qualified District Judges not laymen. If the OP lost then either his case had no merit or was badly presented.

While having a lawyer is undoubtedly advantageous the court will look equally at real evidence whoever it's introdiced by. But it needs to be evidence not simply assertion.

And yes, removal of legal aid from critical areas of work denies millions proper access to justice.

Liability orders for Council Tax or the so called 'Community Charge' are a bit of a sausage machine job. All the council has to prove is that you are in arrears - in 99% of cases the counci's accounting records are correct and suffucient. Provided the court has accepted that evidence a summons can issue. It doesn't matter who's buying the ink and paper or bearing the postage charge for the summons. If you have defence that you've paid, or that some legal requirement has not been met then you can proove your case.

OTOH if all you are doing is pleading poverty for not paying, or relying on a spurious defence you read on the internet, then you're going to be found liable and getting a visit from the bailiff.

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - HGV ~ P Valentine

I am not a court officer mate I drive a hgv. or did I misunderstand your first sentence.

The case in question was not actually mine but a bloke I was hanging around with, a friend of a friend, of a friend, anyway I went to the case to see for myself, so called justice at work ?

The police where clearly lying, and simply said I dont recall when clearly they did, also the judge allowed the guy to be referred to as thug 1 by the police, also their notes from which he read contracted the other officers notes, and missed out some information that could have helped the guy being charged.

In short you could have driven 3 arctics through the holes in the police evidence but he still got convicted. And yes he had a barrister.

But the courts and the police are 2 fingers on the same hand and most judges, in whatever court will believe whatever bull the police tell them.

Edited by 30 yr's a Professional Driver on 13/02/2018 at 22:13

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - Mandy mckeown

I was there when the machine wasn't working i think i saw you there to. Kjp 123 . See my thread below . Ignore all they won't turn up at court and it will be thrown out like mine was . Just received court letter saying they have throw it out .hope this helps . Don't let tgem bully you

Letter from Gladstones Solicitors - Mandy mckeown

Nov 2018 got several letters from Gladstone eventually they sent me a court letter I ignored all of them I even emailed them and told them they weren't getting any money off if me .

Received court notice and letter and eventually a court date . Long story short yes they didn't turn up and didn't notify the court failed the CPR.27 legal name for not notifying court and it was chucked out just received letter from court . b******s tried for over 1 and a half years to frighten me in paying up .

Got letter today . My advice ignore everything except court letter . A week before court date tgey sent me an email saying they wouldn't be at court in the same email they said in some cases they might wtf. Ignored that as well .

Trying to frighten me but to be honest its taken so long I forgot about it. I was waiting for a letter from the court to say in had lost and Bill me . So what a Shock it was thrown out as cowboys didn't turn up. Don't let them frighten you their bullies who will threaten you up to a few weeks before court then not turn up .

Ignore all letters from Gladstones Solicitors - Mandy mckeown

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 21/05/2019 at 22:17